The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Card Name: Switching Ground
Color: Z
Cost: 2UGW
Type: Enchantment
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: During each players upkeep, they choose a basic land type, until EOT all land that player controls become the choosen basic land type.
Flavor Text:
Rarity: R
Artist:
Number:

L

Limited

Just wording:
"At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type. All lands that player controls become lands of the chosen type until end of turn."

This card really messes with multicolored decks. I like it!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Just wording:
"At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type. All lands that player controls become lands of the chosen type until end of turn."

This card really messes with multicolored decks. I like it!
Great wording.

Question: Should it say "All lands that player controls are lands of the chosen type until end of turn."
This should effect even lands that the put into play.... right?

L

Limited

I still think that it would only affect lands in play during the upkeep, but it'd be confusing as whether they become the chosen type in addition to their normal or just become them.

I don't know how to word it if you want it to effect lands yet to be put into play..
(except for adding "As that player would put land into play this turn, that land becomes a land of the chosen type until end of turn")

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Blood Moon - Nonbasic lands are Mountains. (9th edition wording)
Since this affects lands that CIP,
"All lands that player controls are lands of the chosen type until end of turn."
will also affect CIP lands and since Blood Moon replaces all aspects of a land, except non-basic super-type and some CIP effects.

L

Limited

The problem with this wording is, that a continuous effect (like Blood Moon) doesn't have a duration (other than its existence). If an ability never triggers, what turn does it refer to with "until end of turn".

We could try
"At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type.
During each players turn, all lands that player controls become lands of the type he or she choose last".

But that would create something weird the turn you play it (it would do nothing, because no type has been chosen yet)

I'd rather we stick to the previous wording (it just wouldn't affect the land played that turn. Too bad).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
The problem with this wording is, that a continuous effect (like Blood Moon) doesn't have a duration (other than its existence). If an ability never triggers, what turn does it refer to with "until end of turn".
If a player has no upkeep step, then the EOT will not matter as the ability never triggers. If, somehow the EOT trigger is skipped then it would continue until there was an EOT trigger. Is there a way to skipp the EOT trigger?
I'm not really seeing a problem with this being a continuos triggered ability, with a duration.

L

Limited

No, I mean if we word it like a continuous effect, it has no trigger. And the term "until end of turn" refers to a turn. What turn is that then? The turn it came into play? Every turn?
If you read a card that said "All islands are forest until end of turn" you'd assume that it was an instant or sorcery, because of the duration of the spell. "All islands are forests" has no duration and is probably on an enchantment (or at least on a permanent)

If we split the two abilities of this card (naming a land type and changing the lands) we'll always have a problem with the second one referring to something determined by the other.

I still think the neatest solution is to turn it into one triggered ability that unfortunately doesn't affect lands not in play at the time.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I don't know. I like the concept of having the restriction to not-yet-in-play lands.

During each players upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type. All lands that player controls become lands of the chosen type.
At the end of each turn, all lands become their original type.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: During each players upkeep they choose a basic land type, <THIS> gains this static ability until end of turn: "All lands that player controls are lands of the chosen type."
Flavor Text:
Artist:
Number:

This is one triggered ability that gives Switching ground a static ability until end of turn. If the trigger never happens, nothing happens. No choosing, no lands are changed and no EOT problems.

L

Limited

"At the beginning of each players upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type.

All lands that player controls become lands of the type chosen this turn during that players turn."

This still leaves an eerie window in which the lands are unaffected because no choice has been made yet, but it should work.

Mooseman said:
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type and <THIS> gains "All lands that player controls are lands of the chosen type" until end of turn.
This would also work, but it still seems like a lot of duct tape to add a little bit of effect.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
"At the beginning of each players upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type. All lands that player controls become lands of the type chosen this turn during that players turn."

This still leaves an eerie window in which the lands are unaffected because no choice has been made yet, but it should work.
Yes, while the trigger is on the stack, lands are still their original type, but let someone figure out how to abuse or use this. It's a small, small window.

Pow/Tgh:
Rules Text: At the beginning of each players upkeep, that player chooses a basic land type. All lands that player controls become lands of the type chosen this turn during that players turn.
Flavor Text:
Artist:
Number:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Here are the rarity percentages of the last 4 sets.....
Common - 36%
Rare - 31%
Uncommon - 33%

It's almost an even 1/3 split

Here is our breakout for cards listed in "Cut the Confusion"
R 34
U 48
C 94
total cards = 176

This is for the cards we have finalized. We still have 22 cards to go and then all the cards that have been made since then.

What size do we want this to be? We about 240 total cards.
Should this be? Ravnica was about 300, disennsion was 180, Guild Pact was 165.

Id say make this about 200.

L

Limited

Surge of Hurt XRR
Sorcery (common)
Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn. That creature's controller loses X life.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Surge of Hurt XRR
Sorcery (common)
Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn. That creature's controller loses X life.
Not bad. The drawback is costly, so this has to be a common.

L

Limited

I had it pegged as a common as well. Usually, you'll be able to use it as burn, unless someone doesn't control a creature.. And if you control a creature with Double Strike, its a nice gamble.

L

Limited

Resourceful Hero 2RW
Creature - Human Knight (Rare)
First Strike
As long as you control no tapped lands, <THIS> has +2/+0
As long as you control no untapped lands, <THIS> has +0/+2
2/2

If you choose to attack with it, you'll probably attack before casting spells, so it'll be a 4/2..
Then during the rest of your turn (or, after first strike damage is on the stack) you play all sorts of combat tricks and he'll become 2/4.

And if you control no lands, its a 4/4 :D (My thanks to Spiderman for the idea).

S

-soad-

Chakrum 3
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+0, and has "2,T,Unattach <THIS>:This creature deals 2 damage to X target creatures, where X is equal to equipped creatures power.
Equip 4

and i've been thinking about a cycle

Chakrum for black would be:
Acidic Chakrum 3
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+0, has "1B,T,Unattach <THIS>:This creature deals 1 damage to X target creatures, where X is equal to equipped creatures power.", and has "Whenever a creature dealt damage by this creature is put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game."
Equip 4

Red:
Flaming Chakrum 3
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+0, has "1R,T,Unattach <THIS>:This creature deals 1 damage to X target creatures, where X is equal to equipped creatures power.", and has "... I can't think of a basic red ability to go here...

Nor can i think of a name or ability to go for green white and blue, maybe because i stayed up all night long last night and am now very tired, but they'll come to me eventually.And wow, so many posts in this topic it took me all of 6 hrs just to read half, but I and cant wait another 6 to read the rest of this to see if it has already been thought of.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
-soad- said:
And wow, so many posts in this topic it took me all of 6 hrs just to read half, but I and cant wait another 6 to read the rest of this to see if it has already been thought of.
It may be easier to read this thread: Design a set Card Pool - 261 total
It has the cards that are almost finished. Shouldn't take over 1 hour to read/