The Language of M:tg

D

Dead

All i can think of at the moment:

Multini- A multani that is less than 10/10 (very rare occurance in our group).

D

Dead

Oh yeah, and
Seal of Frog= Spore Frog
Seal of Fog= Spore Frog
BRUTAL= Any card or combo of cards which seems harmless but then suddenly blows up killing everyone bar the controller in a short space of time
Mogg Today- Mogg Toady

D

Duel

We actually had a multani die by running out of cards... god, I love my discard deck...

P

Purple_jester

Okay, here's some from the slang-book of a veteran player. These come from people who've been playing since before 1995.

Mr. Hippie: Hypnotic Specter

Hypnotic Spectator: A Hypnotic Specter with Pacifism

Big Daddy Cool: Force of Nature, preferably one from Revised or earlier edition

Mox-Eating Monkey: Gorilla Shaman

Guy Smiley: Atog

BOOM: When a Prosperous Bloom deck is down to 5 or less life and finally decides to try to go off on you.

Gang Bang: When more than 5 weenies attack you simultaneously.

Suicide: When you know you're going to lose, and decide to tap all of your lands and mana burn yourself to spoil your opponent's fun.

Casper: Blinking Spirit

Frogments: What's left of a Spore frog after it prevented combat damage.

Lock: Any situation where a player has little or no copable actions, usually by limiting his mana or by producing some constantly recurring effect.

Slurp: The sound effect produced by using either Drain Life, Soul Burn or Vicious Hunger on a creature.

Mine: Blue player declaration when stealing one of your permanents, usually by casting spells like Control Magic, Steal Artifact, or Bribery.

Mine: Using a Soldevi Excavations.

Denied!: Blue player declaration when casting counter magic.

Bringing Back: Returning a permanent, usually a creature, from the graveyard

That's all for now. I'll post back when I remember more. ;)

L

Lythand

Purple_J

I will have to remeber Hypnotic Spectator..I liked it :)

D

Duel

summon counterspell= a key card in your deck, played when you know you're going to die against a counterspell deck, and you know he can counter it.

E

Elrond

summon death: Any move in a large multiplayer game that ticks off more than one opponent, examples flame rift, sizzle, or syphon soul.

K

K1

nasty whore = masticore

topdeck skills = pure luck. pulling the card you need when you need it

M

Multani

This is the stuff that my Magic Group uses:
Are you sure you want to do that = If you do, you die next turn
I don't like you = I attack you with everything I've got.
That creature's annoying = It's dead meat
Annoying deck = My Blue Counter-Control Deck
Smile = Counterspell(s) in hand
Hippie = Hypnotic Specter
Hymn = Hymn to Tourach

That's all I can think of.

S

superguy

Here are some of the things that me or people from my group said:
Replentish - Replenish
story behind it: no idea
Capsize - Cryptsize
story behind it: the guy who calls replenish replentish, has the crypt rats/spirit link/inviolability/ a whole lot of other studd/ deck. As soon as he uses the rats ability my other friend kept on capsizing the rats. Go figure :)
Magetnta- Mageta. No Idea. I say it like that sometimes. Stop making fun of me :)

T

theorgg

Originally posted by Multani
This is the stuff that my Magic Group uses:
Are you sure you want to do that = If you do, you die next turn
I don't like you = I attack you with everything I've got.
That creature's annoying = It's dead meat
Annoying deck = My Blue Counter-Control Deck
Smile = Counterspell(s) in hand
Hippie = Hypnotic Specter
Hymn = Hymn to Tourach

That's all I can think of.

Hmmm... All of that's true for my group, too, except for "that annoying deck" is fog'ive and Fog'et(read Turtle's Prophecy pre-relese report for the summary of it... I played him with it there.)

I

Istanbul

Thought of some more.

Pile - Any deck that's very poorly constructed.

Urza's Masturbator - Urza's Incubator

"Stupid Glacier Tricks" - (My invention) Using Glaciers at the end of my opponent's turn, even with the current errata, to grow my mana supply.

"Stupid Soothsaying Tricks" - (also my invention) Tapping out at the end of my opponent's turn with Soothsaying in play to rearrange my deck.

F*** Bank (aka Morphling's Momma) - Fog Bank

Palincrap - Palinchron

Raccoon Boy - Anybody that trades for foils like crazy (easily distracted by shiny things)

"No" - Phrase uttered whenever countermagic is used

Bastard-derm - Blastoderm

"Pop" - to tap and sacrifice a permanent for an effect. "I'll go ahead and pop my Nevinyrral's Disk."

City of @$$ - City of Brass

Pimpy - Any card that's especially cool (ex. My Japanese foil Archivist is pimpy. The fact that I bought it for $5 is *extremely* pimpy.)

Twister - Timetwister

Walk - Time Walk

Lotus - Black Lotus

Creep - To cast Creeping Mold on something. "I'll Creep your Worship." "Aw, crap."

Board - To sideboard in cards.

Waste - To activate Wasteland. "I'll Waste your Gaea's Cradle." "Gee...thanks."

Quake - To cast Earthquake. "I'll Quake for 1. You didn't need those Elves, did you?"

Beefy - Any massive creature, usually 5/5 or bigger. Juzam Djinn is beefy...Morphling can be beefy...Jolrael is not beefy.

M

Mundungu

Ah ! I cant believe no one mentioned that one :

(To) stroke = make target player draw cards from his library ..

"He stroked him for 60 and went all the way to win the grand prize"

L

Lythand

Stroke: Refering to Stroke of genius.
"I stroke myself for 12" Meaning to draw 12 cards.
SO GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER!! :)

Mill: To force and opponant to take cards from the top of the Library and put them into his graveyard. Derived from the old artifact Mill stone

Geddon: Armageddon

Titty Priest: Priest of Titania

Zorb: Zuran Orb

Thats a few others I came up with

C

Chaos Turtle

Yeah, I can see this thread's been inactive for awhile, but I just wanted to throw in a couple of things that I would have added had I noticed this thread way back when it first started...

My trade phrases:

"This game... is over."

Distorted Fight Club reference.

Usually said when playing Absolute Law/Grace against a mono-red/black deck with my first-strike white weenie deck.

Could refer to any card play which ends all hope of a recovery by the opponent.

"I have you now."

Darth Vader, in [/i]The Empire Strikes Back[/i]

Usually facetious, it means I just made a mistake that will probably cost me the game.

"Bend over and take It like a man."

Sorry you're getting land-screwed (or creature-screwed, or just plain screwed). That's the way the game goes sometimes.

"Sh**s and giggles."

As in, "Let's play a game for ~."
Means to play a game for no reason other than to play a game (no tournament, no Arena, not even testing a deck).

"Rob Deck"

I didn't make this one up (Rob is me). Another player in the local group did.

It refers to any deck which relies on an engine of some kind to win. Examples would be Living Death, Recur-Survival, Palinchron (with Vanguard Sisay), Dream Halls Engine... stuff like that, which I played almost exclusively back in my deck-invention days.

I later swore off combo, to focus on my play skills (as opposed to my bore-you-to-death skills).

The term still gets applied to those in the group who play a deck like this, especially if it's a deck of their own design.

G

Gerode

Tim? (Monty Python reference), TIMMAY! (South Park reference), SuperTim - Horseshoe Crab with Hermetic Study

Big Mama - Mother of Runes

UNWORTHY! - When one of my friends plays Unworthy Dead.

Fog Frog - Spore Frog

You hippie! (in Cartman voice) - Hypnotic Scepter

Counter bait - A spell you that you know will be countered

Smack - Trash talk (talking smack to someone)

You might want to think about that - Casting Rethink to counter a spell

And, yes, you've guessed it,

SHINY! - Foil card

C

Cateran Emperor

Rage - Urza's Rage something
Nuclear strike - casting Obliterate
Wave (out) - remove a creature with Parallax Wave
Tide (out) - remove a land with Parallax Tide
Budd - Fleeting Image
Sac - sacrifice something
Pitch - to remove a card/discard a card for an effect (Skirge Familiar, Force of Will...)
Clear the Board! - casting Apocalypse
Snuff - Snuff Out a creature
You must be near-sighted - said when casting Misdirection
I believe you miscalculated - said when casting Miscalculation
Negate - said when a Phyrexian Negator attacks
Mogg Fantastic - Mogg Fanatic

D

Duel

Slick it- Make a mistake
Blasty- Blastoderm
Mana chicken, mana birds, speed bumps of paradise- Birds of paradise
scoop- forfeit
___ goes boom- is destroyed
_____ And stay there!- remove it from the game.
Summon out- Dig with rebels
Look who I brought to dinner- (ONly me) Vine dryad, ACC

N

Neil Rigby

Are you Tim Hall = Whenever someone ask's if they have already played a land this turn, or say's that they haven't played a loand this turn. Tim Hall was a player who dominated the magic scene in England for a while whilst playing the CadBloom deck, and he always said that he had not layed a land yet before and after casting Natural Balance

Cheat = To use a Thawing Glacier (possibly the best card in the game) i.e At the end of your turn I will cheat.

I drafted with Northerners = Whenever you get a really powerful draft deck.

Cheeky XXXX = When you play/try to play a card that is unexpected at that time of the game (this is one of our phrases that was nicked by some famous Americans in Rome).

Why are you still here = When the game is quite obviously beyond you opponents reach yet they insist on still playing.

Can't think of any more at the moment but will keep you updated if I suddenly can.

G

Gizmo

Cheeky XXXX - as in, 'Cheeky Wrath' or 'Cheeky Scroll'. Not as in Cheeky F**k' - that`s what you say to your mates after the game.