The Death Muffin...

N

Notepad

Kewl, just making sure the kobolds didn't get unfairly bashed.

While we're speaking Legends crap, how about the stuff people put way too much value in for their worth. Carrion Ants is neat, but worth nothing near the value it climbed to. Who would pay $40 for a 0/1 colorless pumper for four mana? Insane...and garbage at that point. May as well take your money out and burn it. Thanks to 4th Edition, it got a much more intelligent price. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It all had to do with supply and demand back then... not enough supply and too much demand (and it's really not THAT bad because unless you got it out with a Dark Ritual, you should be able to make him 4/5 every turn (barring no more spells :) ) which was a great p/t ratio for the mana cost).

N

Notepad

Seems like a bargain, but at an effective upkeep cost of 4 mana per turn. I woulda rather wasted my bucks on Juzan Djinn, or Derelor. (especially the 50 cent, yet highly effective, derelor) :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But at the time of Legends when Carrion Ants came out, Juzam Djinn was even more expensive (I think everyone figured out its power by then) and Derelor wasn't out yet :)

N

Notepad

Good chronology point, Spidey. However, paying $40 for Carrion Ants, or even Killer Bees for that matter, seems totally ridiculous. Even funnier is the elder dragons were all worth a lot, too. Now, who feels like paying $60 for Chromium? lol ;)

I wanted to counter that point you made about availability there. The low number of English Legends printed wasn't that much drastically lower than the player base at the time. There was actually enough to go around as far as I remember it, but greedy jerks overpriced stuff as the game got more popular. I'd say the numbers were too low for the player base at the swarming mass of the Alliances time period, but by then those cards were devalued by Chronicles and 4th Ed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to disagree based on a hazy memory and half-remembered articles about it. What I remember from Magic set/expansion printings of everything pre-4th and Fallen Empires is that they sold out very quickly, to the point that retailers ordered gobs of Fallen Empires in hopes of cashing in on this "craze". Of course, we all know what happened then... :) But I think Legends sold out so quickly that prices were more or less raised in response (sure, you might have your greedy jerks here and there, but I don't think they were the driving factor).

N

Notepad

By my fuzzy memory (which is being cannibalized by Mad Dog, so it may not be entirely intact), Legends was in pretty good supply, especially judging by the commons.

The problem, by that time, were greedy jerk speculators who gorged themselves on Legends and pre-Legends packs, driving prices through the roof in a short period of time on all sets. They didn't care about commons and some uncommons, so those got traded out evenly among the masses at the time, but the rares and good uncommons they held onto and made the prices go higher. Their excuse: "I like to collect them pretty pikters. Duh-hyuk!"

You have a good point on Fallen Empires, which was a set made to tailor to the number of orders recieved. The mere fact that there was so friggen much of it ordered is solid evidence that there was a market of sharks/speculators just itching to dry out the market and drive up the prices.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I did come in at the tail end of the Dark, so perhaps your memory is better. I just "remember" (due to the Duelist) about the Legends sorting/packing fiasco.

Those Fallen Empires though, you could get them for $.99 at some places! Now, there's a store near me who sells them back at $2.99 :)

T

train

If that's the store spidey mentioned to me previously... their super - expensive...

Also...

If anyone is interested in any German or Italian Renaissance packs - just let me know...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's the store... they're not bad with "recent" booster prices; they tend to go for $2.99 as opposed to the WOTC store in the same mall that goes for retail of $3.49. But since it appears they're the only source around "not online" for past boosters, they probably feel they can raise their prices a bit.

E

EricBess

Hey, I just realized...I have a question and this might be as good a place to ask as any. Does anyone here know what a pack of Edgar goes for?

T

train

If revised can go for $10.00 - I'd guess maybe $7.00 tops for Edgar...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Wouldn't Edgar be more expensive? It's a messed up version of Revised right?

T

train

It may be more rare - but what do you get out of it...

Dark packs are more rare than revised, and only go for $5-7.00... but the difference in Revised to unlimited is about $80-90, only because you have a very good chance to pull some expensive cards... The biggest thing in revised is duals...

What does Edgar offer... Wasn't it before 4th, after revised...

If so it would not have had the duals...

It's only value would be in collector's eyes if the cards are not worth much themselves...

That's why I'm getting ahold of Renaissance packs... because the chances for nice looking foreign duals, black-bordered duals, makes them a nice sell to players... Even the foreign mishra's factories look real cool...

N

Notepad

That's why I'm getting ahold of Renaissance packs
Sorry man, major waste of cash if what you're seeking is dual lands...

Revised was printed in black border Europe, but then came 4th Edition, with new cards from Arabian Nights and Antiquities that Revised did not already have, plus new cards from Legends and Dark. Thus, those new cards are what make Ren. It was basically a substitutde for those four sets so the Europeans would have black-bordered originals.

If you want black bordered duals, get some German or Italian Revised, black bordered.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've got lots of foreign cards that usually came with the Duelist that I can trade one-on-one for the English version... they're mostly Mirage onwards though, not Revised.

T

train

Well... I was going to open some of the ones I'll get this evening...

I'm just going to have to stop thinking there are duals in them... because I found the checklist for all 3 languages, and they're not in there anywhere...

But - I haven't opened the previous ones... I was actually buying them with cash and then using them as trade fodder... and they go like mad...

One pack went straight for a BoP... and another got 6 rares and 2 Walls of Blossom - those walls are for Spidey though...

Guess I'll have to use them for the sole purpose of trade... I guess the advantage is that people like the idea of foreign cards, from older sets...

oh well...

Thanks SeFro!...:) :cool:

E

EricBess

Edgar was never supposed to be released. A few cases made it out, but everything was supposed to be destroyed. As such, it is extreamly rare and that alone makes it more valuable to collectors.

As far as what you get out of it? I don't know about lands and such, but my understanding is that Edgar was released with blue Hurricanes as a misprint.

Plus, I think Edgar was basically a reprinting of Revised, so I think you can pull dual lands, though I wouldn't swear to that.

T

train

What if you ask someone at WOTC...

you're not afraid they'll send out the WOTC police to grab up the pack are you?...;) :p