The Comboist Manifesto: Looking Back at Fame and Shame [Article]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
But man Halls of Mist... what a piece of crap. And it's in the same set as Glacial Chasm too which is a little confusing but whatever it's 1995 that's just what they did back then.
WotC were basically like, "We had an idea for a card, but we didn't know whether to go with the good version or the bad version, so we just put both in the set. They're both rare, so you could get either one in your booster pack and it'll be a surprise either way. Have fun with that."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I know I picked Snowfall just a few days ago, but I think I'd be tempted to switch over to Halls of Mist if I made the picks now. In theory you could just hold it in your hand, wait for an opponent to make a big attack, then drop this land to shut down those attacking creatures for a single turn. But this card won't have dealt with the initial attack and won't buy more than that one turn. I guess you could use Solemnity or something to get rid of the cumulative upkeep issue, which would then give you a land that slowed creatures down to only being able to attack every other turn. So it's probably still better than Snowfall.

Last edited:
I know I picked Snowfall just a few days ago, but I think I'd be tempted to switch over to Halls of Mist if I made the picks now. In theory you could just hold it in your hand, wait for an opponent to make a big attack, then drop this land to shut down those attacking creatures for a single turn. But this card won't have dealt with the initial attack and won't buy more than that one turn. I guess you could use Solemnity or something to get rid of the cumulative upkeep issue, which would then give you a land that slowed creatures down to only being able to attack every turn. So it's probably still better than Snowfall.
Snowfall is such a "bait and switch". It reads like it's High Tide but then just slaps you in the face when you get to the last sentence. Hall of Mists is so bad too. I wouldn't even know what to pick.

I totally spaced out on Solemnity and counter shenanigans. Something to keep in mind when evaluating these cards in the future.

Last edited:

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
This is a great callback Oversoul, thanks for taking the time to go down memory lane. I think these nominations where one of the fun things for me at CPA, but I had completely forgotten about it!