tempo, card advantage and other theorys.......

H

Homestar

well all my friends live a ways away from each other. but if everyone gets together then im playin against 3 people. and yes the same thing goes for me, once i get the clerics out, everyone is gunnin for me. one of my friends is good, hes the one who runs the zombie deck and he has a B/U returning deck and a G powerhouse. my other friend runs a B unblockable deck, a W prevention deck, a R im not even sure what the theme is, and a G elf deck. Then the last one runs a RGW catapillar deck (giant catapillar and regeneration), W soldier deck, a R beast, a G powerhouse. yea, thats what they run. i think clerics are the best tribe :D , any agreements

M

mythosx

best tribe ever is ....

slivers!

Hands Down. Can't you tell by my handle?

Killer Joe

Slivers--------------------------------------------------------------------Clerics
All Slivers get +1/+1 (Muscle Sliver) ----------------------------------- All Clerics get +1/+1 (N/A)
All Slivers gain flying (Winged Sliver)------------------------------------All Clerics gain Flying (N/A)
Slivers can't be the target of Spells or Abilities (Crystalline Sliver)--All Clerics yada-yada-yada (N/A)
All Slivers gain First Strike (Talon Sliver)----------------------------------All Clerics gain First Strike (N/A)

get my drift?

D

DeathMaster666

Slivers are fun and efficient even if you play 2-3 colors. G/W/U usually is the best.

H

Homestar

no i kno that they are xtremely awesome and if you make a sliver deck right u practically cant be beaten. but i dont like them for that same reason. i feel about slivers like train feels about blue. i think their cheap. but thats one mans opinion.

M

mythosx

I dont play em cheap, I play em fun. People still don't like em cuz they bad ass. If they were cars and dragons were Italian pasta rockets...then slivers would still be badass.

I forgot where I was going with that but you catch my drift.

I run a fatty 156 card deck with nothing but slivers, lands, and land fixing cards. I would replace all my green land get cards with fetch lands and both pain and tapped versions if anyone is willing to sell or trade.

ooh wait. I do run disturbed burials. But I think I am going to switch to the more efficient patriarchs bidding.

Killer Joe

train doesn't like blue.
You don't like slivers.
And I hate,...........um, I know I should hate or not like something,......now what wasssss...it?
Oh, yeah, I remeber now.
I hate broken cards in draft. :)

"Commons RULE the world!"
~Mark O.

M

mythosx

Draft means you can only play during a war and you get drafted.
Limited means you only have 5 minutes to play.
Sealed means you have to play against seals at your local aquarium. All three formats are quite fun.

Killer Joe

...that's only a Myth :).

Ah yes, the best tournament format ever, LIMITED.

Theere are two types:
1.) Sealed
2.) Draft

Sealed deck is when the tournament players are given 1 tournament pack (75 Additional cards) and two booster packs (15 additional cards). You are to make a 40 card deck with only those cards that are in those packs, I think that includes basic land as well, although I've been in sealed tournaments where you were allowed to exchange basic land for what you need.

Draft <insert holy angelic sound here> is an eight player tournament where each player is given three booster packs (if you were to play in a draft right now you would recieve 2 Mirrodin and 1 Darksteel pack). Everyone opens one pack (in this case today, it would be a Mirrodin pack) and selects one card from that pack. When all players have selected their first card then they all pass the 14 card pack to the left. The idea is to build your deck while you are selecting cards. Anyway, you keep doing this untill all 15 cards from every pack are picked. then you open up pack #2 (another Mirrodin pack) and do the same process as the first but you pass to the right. Then the third pack (Darksteel) etc., etc., etc.,....

IMHO, this is absolutly the best way to play Magic. You have to have deck building skills, good playing skills and you are forced to think at a very high level. Each and every card selection is a "Do or Die" decision, each played spell is critical, everything down to what may seem to be of no consiquence matter like; which land to tap for playing a spell, can make the difference between winning or losing.

I "Common Draft" with my kids in my club and they are all better players for it.

There are a ton of articles written on this subject and believe it or not there IS stratagy, deck archetypes and most important of all, "The Mind Game".

I would highly recommend that everyone who plays Magic should try this format. It IS expensive but you can make common packs from all the chaff you've been getting in packs (cards that you don't put in your constructed decks).

It's FUN!!!!!:D :D :D

D

DeathMaster666

Tempo Theory -
1 Mana = +1 Tempo
+1 CA = +1 Tempo
-1 CA = -1 Tempo
Extra turn = +3.5 Tempo (an average of Time Walk and Time Warp's mana cost)
Missed Land Drop = -1 Tempo
(Land Drop doesn't apply late game)
Destroyed Land = -1.5 Tempo (Don't forget to count the CA here as well)

So lets look at Dark Ritual:
-1 CA = -1 Tempo
+3 Mana = +3 Tempo
Total +2 Tempo
Meaning that its a pretty good card.

Of course, this is very very rough.

N

Notepad

The truth on limited...

*Sefro comes in and eats your cards, cases and all.

*Mad Dog comes in and lights your deck on fire.

*You have 15 minutes to salvage your deck and attempt to make a decklist of the remaining cards.

*Play with the limited amount of stuff you have left.

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by DeathMaster666
Basics of CA:
A - CA for your cards.
-1 for a card that leaves your hand.
+1 for a card that enters your hand
-1 for a card that leaves play.
+1 for a card that enters play.
Meaning that, normally, playing a permanent costs you no CA. Losing a permanent costs you -1 CA. Playing an instant or sorcery is -1 CA in this part. Normally, however, your instants and sorceries provide you with some sort of CA from part B.

B - Your opponents' effects on you.
+1 for a card that leaves your opponents hand.
-1 for a card that enters your opponents hand.
+1 for a card that leaves play for your opponent.
-1 for a card that enters play for your opponent.
Meaning that destroying your opponent's permanents or their hand gains you CA, while letting them draw *cough*Arcane Denial*cough* loses you CA.

C - Special cases
Tokens - What Oscar Tan and Georgie Tait disagreed about. Rasko says that tokens should be counted as cards in terms of counting CA, while Tait says that you shouldn't. I say that you should, except in special cases like Decree of Justice (Decree for 4? I get +4 CA? Not really).

Note that this has NO effect whatsoever on Tempo, which is a less concrete concept. Maybe I'll try to explain that in more detail later.
This is such an oversimplified theory it's almost useless. It ignore card quality, it ignores how the value of cards can change as other cards are played, it ignores how cards can be played from non-hand sources. It's a great theory, just utterly useless when put into practice in a real game - it wouldnt even stand up in a game of Portal, let alone real Magic.

This is a tough read, I was getting myself quite lost by the end of it, but I think that it illustrates exactly why the above theory is far too simplistic.

http://www.theturpins.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cardadvan.doc

And on another subject, another articles I wrote (and actually finished) this from 1998...

TEMPO ADVANTAGE

The game lasted six turns. In that time I made 7 of the 12 cards I saw useful. Another four were land (I drew Wasteland on the last turn) and the Shock was unnecessary.
In those same six turns my opponent drew a total of 14 cards, but only made 3 useful - only Force Spike, Wall Of Blossoms, Spike Feeder, accounted for one of my cards. Legacy`s was useless as I would dealt one damage regardless, and his Tradewind was useless as it was effectively a gain 4 life spell (block the Pup), when he was only 3 life and faced 7 damage.
My total card advantage, in a game where my opponent drew two more cards than I did, was +4 (+5 if I needed the Shock).
I won this game on turns 2,3, and 4, when I played 2 spells per turn, whilst he was only able to respond with 1 spell. All of my opponent`s spells were good defensive spells - good blockers, lifegainers, creature control, or counterspells. Yet, crucially, my Tempo was far faster than his and he lost because his spells were too expensive and he couldn`t keep up in the early game.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/candiman/strategy1.htm

H

Homestar

wow sefro, i dont think id wanna play with you :eek: :eek: :eek:
any way, yea now i get the draft and stuff.

M

mythosx

In chess there are three resources, piece value, tempo, and space value. We never clump the three together. They are independent of each other and are counted seperately. Why is it in magic theory these three aspects are unified? Chess theory is hundreds of years old. Magic is only ten.

M

mythosx

T1 was originally created back in the 80's featuring super strong man and current govener. Arnold schwarznegger. His stoic character was easily to play for him as he lacked acting skills. T2 produced much later by james cameron I believe, lived up to the fans expectations and was a worthy sequel to the cult classic.