Team Set- Card Submition

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
D

Duster

1R: Regenerate would be reasonable.

We've been pushing a lot of limits with what's out-of-flavor with this set anyway. Which isn't a bad thing, pushing limits is good :)
In my opinion, Trolls HAVE to regenerate :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying what you're doing is bad or that you should keep "in-flavor", I was just trying to give the design perspective from Magic since TICM mentioned that "red regen was unprecedented". In fact, I was probably trying to say that it wasn't all that bad and SHOULD be brought back ;)

N

NeuroDeus

I already gave Regeneration (Red) to Brikabrak, also a troll...

how about adding this ?

If Blarf's Attendant is the only creature attacking or blocking sacrifice it and it deals 2 damage to you.

??? what you people think ???

You can find Brikabrak on this page at page 3 (middle)

N

NeuroDeus

Btw...I am making a list (.DOC format) of all cards I submitted... who needs it to gather all cards... PM or mail me...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ransack Spoils -Rare
1U
Enchantment
3UU, Place the top 15 cards of your library into your graveyard: Put a card from your graveyard into your hand. You may only do this once per turn and only when you could play a sorcery.

-This card could be broken, I don't know what to do about it though.

Centaur Riders -Common/Uncommon
GG
Creature -Centaur
Centaur Riders cannot be blocked except by walls and creatures with flying.
Tap,2GG: Put a Wall counter on target creature. That creature now counts as a wall. (Walls cannot attack)
2/1

Peace -Rare
2W
Enchantment
If a player doesn't cast a spell during his or her turn, they may gain 3 life.

-Maybe this should be 1WW? Any name suggestions?

Forced Simplicity -Uncommon
2R
Enchantment
If a player plays more than one spell during his or her turn, that player is dealt 2 damage.

Flora Fetish -Uncommon
GGG
Flora Fetish cannot be countered.
Protection from blue
Whenever Flora Fetish deals damage to an opponent, you may put a +1+1 counter on it.
1/1

Quicksand Maelstrom -Rare
Land
When Quicksand Maelstrom comes into play, lose 3 life.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T: Target creature loses either First Strike, Flying, or landwalk until end of turn.

-Does the name make sense? How about a two life loss?

Corrupted Judgment -Uncommon
1UU
Instant
Gain control of an attacking creature until end of turn.

Retaliation -Common
W
Enchantment
Retaliation comes into play with a Mark counter on it.
Remove a Mark counter: Retaliation deals 3 damage to target creature or player. You may only activate this if an instant or sorcery has dealt damage to you or a creature you control this turn.

N

NeuroDeus

Ransack Spoils - Ok, so you just play the ability just once at the very beginning of your turn. And during your mainphase just select a card and put it in your hand? or whenever you play that ability you can get the card from the g'yard in your hand? If it's the first is brrrrrrrrrrooooooooookkkkkkennnnnn if its the second its cccccccccccccccccrrrrrrrrraaaaaaapppppppppp....

You get 1) a Tutor 2) a free draw phase each turn 3) A free removal of unwanted spells 4) a graveyard to play with (15+ cards mind you... its TOO GOOD

dunno...FoR's against an Urza's Saga set but with this... were gonna get.......a..... a more broken set...

dunno wanna keep it?

L

Landkiller

Illusionary Maze
Comes into play tapped.
T : Add 1 mana to your mana pool.
T, Return Illusionary Maze to your hand : Untap target attacking creature. That creature neither deals nor recieves combat damage this turn.

Historical Perspective 4WW
Sorcery
Each player gains 1 life for each permanent he or she controls.
Remove all permanents from the game.
Remove all Historical Perspectives in your hand, library, and graveyard from the game, and remove this one as well.

Verbal Assault U
Sorcery
Deal 2 damage to target creature. If that creature would go from the graveyard to play this turn, return that creature to the top of it's owner's library.

Stolen Goods 1BB - Fixed Version
Enchantment
2 : Add B to your mana pool. Any player may play this ability.
B, Pay 2 life : Search your library for any card, set it aside, then shuffle your library. Put the card on top of your library. Any player may play this ability.
How did you get all this neat stuff, Master?
You just gotta have the right connections, my boy.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

People who aren't playing black can't use Stolen Goods' ability anyway, because they don't have access to black mana.

Besides, I thought said "rather unprecedented." Oh well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I took it to mean there might have been examples but you couldn't remember them, so I was helping to "jog" your memory.

And I was saying that if it wasn't for that "new" design constraint, there might have been more red regen creatures (Uthden made it to Revised :))

N

NeuroDeus

A weenie for each color...

Messenger Troll - Common
R
Creature - Troll
1/1
Haste
"He got a message to deliver, might as well not interfere"

Merfolk of Rive Straits - Common
U
Creature - Merfolk
1/1
2U:Islandwalk
"Were are his legs? - Intelligent Soldier"

Tombstone Rats - Common
B
Creature - Rat
1/1
BBB, Sacrifice Tombstone Rats : Regenerate target black creature.
"A number of zombies draw energy and life from the same rats that ate their skin"

River Crocodile - Common
G
Creature - Crocodile
2/1
"Does he use a toothbrush?"

Wilderness Lancer - Common
W
Creature - Soldier
1/1
First Strike

D

Duster

Landkiller's Cards...

Illusionary Maze
LOVE IT - fits very well with the "bounce" theme of the lands I submitted back on the old thread.

Historical Perspective
I can't really form an opinion on this, but I know I dig the name. If this particular card isn't used, I'd like to see the name used.

Verbal Assault
Not too sure on this one, it's obviously not broken, but I'd prefer to not see a blue direct damage spell, even as much as I like off-color cards.

Stolen Goods
Needs to be modified so any player can actually use this, even if they're not playing black. Maybe make it so the ability can only be used once during a player's turn. Multiple usages may make this close to broken.

As for NeuroDeus' cards...

Messenger Troll
Obviously a good card, but it's just another Raging Goblin. I'm not against rehashes, but I'd prefer to rehash cards that are out of print.

Merfolk of Rive(r?) Straits
Good weenie, the activation cost doesn't need to be so high though, I think "U: ~this~ gains Islandwalk until end of turn." would be fine.

Tombstone Rats
Again a great weenie, and I think I'd like to see some good rats in this set! In my opinion this card also has a high activation cost, maybe "1B, sacrifice ~this~: Regenerate target black creature" would work?

River Crocodile
This dude needs a drawback, or else he's a common green savannah lions. Maybe something like "~this~ can't attack unless defending player controls a forest or island, or if you pay 1G"

Wilderness Lancer
Tundra Wolves rehash. I love the wolves, but apparently WoTC thought they were too powerful...? Maybe if we make the First Strike as an activated ability? Something like "W: ~this~ gains First Strike until end of turn."

Here are my most recent ideas, I have others written down somewhere that I'll post soon...

Mourning Dove 1W (Common)
Creature - Bird

Flying
Whenever a creature you control is put into your graveyard from play, you gain 1 life.
1/1

Force Check UU (Common)
Instant

Counter target spell.
That spell's controller may untap up to 2 lands he or she controls.

Norafin Porpoise 1UU
Creature - Dolphin

~this~ can only be blocked by blue creatures or creatures with Islandwalk.
2/1

Norafin Elite 1U
Creature - Merfolk

UU, Tap: Until end of turn, target Merfolk can only be blocked by blue creatures or creatures with Islandwalk.
1/2

S'all for now!
Dustin

N

NeuroDeus

I don't like remakes and rehashs too but felt that the set had to contain some playable and similar to other cards if we are going to play with this set...

idea

Disenchant
1W
Instant
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ransack Spoils
The ability is an activated ability. Each time you do it you have to remove the top 15 cards of your library from the game. Thoughts?

Illusionary Maze
I like it!

Historical Perspective
Looks pretty good to me...

Verbal Assault
I myself was kinda scared when I saw blue direct damage (As Duster said), but this really isnt direct damage...It reads:
"You may put target creature with toughness 2 or less on top of its owner's library"
And that is powerful...it should be UU or 1U.
Perhaps we could just word it to my example instead?

Stolen Goods
The activation cost should be 2 and two life.

Messenger Troll, Merfolk of Rive Straits, Tombstone Rats
I agree with Duster...

Wilderness Lancer
Well, Tundra Wolves was reprinted as Serra Zealot in Saga, didnt either of them make it into 7th?

Mourning Dove
I have noticed a trend that life gain is getting stronger (As it should be), so maybe this should not just limit the life gain to creatures you control?

Force Check
Looks good to me.

Norafin Porpoise
I like this card, but its just bad when compared to Phantom Warrior (Was that in 7th? -You know, the 2/2 unblockable critter for 1UU)
Maybe we should make this cost 1U and keep it at 2/1? Or would that be too strong? Make it 2U?

Norafin Elite
I like the ability, but it might be to narrow to limit it to merfolk. Maybe make the activation 2U, make it give +1+1, andif its a merfolk give it the ability thingy.

Warrior of Wood -Uncommon
2G
Creature-Treefolk
Whenever any player plays a black spell, you may pay X+3. If you do, then look through your library for a creature card with casting cost X or less. Put that card into play tapped, then shuffle your library.
2/2

Treefolk Trader -Common
2GG
Creature -Treefolk
Trample
2G; Regenerate
When Treefolk Trader comes into play, your oppenent may play a sorcery from his hand as an instant and for free.
5/2

Verdant Elemental -Uncommon/common
G
Creature -Elemental
Verdant Elemental has power and toughness each equal to the number of token creatures in play.
*/*

Growing Wall -Common
1G
Creature- Wall
(Walls cannot attack)
Sacrifice a creature: Put a 0/2 green wall creature token into play.
0/3

Mutiny -Common
2G
Sorcery
Target player is dealt damage equal to the added power of all creatures he or she controls.

Lurking Troll -Uncommon
2GG
Creature -Troll
Trample
1G, Your oppenent chooses: This creature loses trample and gains +1+2 untill end of turn, or this creatures gains +3+0 and is destroyed at end of turn. You may only activate this ability once per turn.
3/1

Subtle General -Rare
1GG
Creature -Legend
Skip your draw phase.
All creatures you control gain +2+0 and trample.
At the end of your turn, sacrifice a creature.
2/1

Mage Patron -Uncommon
1G
Creature- Druid
When Mage Patron comes into play, put a +1+1 counter on it for each spell you have already played this turn.
0/2

As some of you may have noticed, most of these cards are edited versions of cards from the Sliver Set. If its ok with everyone, I'd like to disect that set for the best, most interesting cards, and put them in here. The set was never finished, and many of the ideas are wasted. Is that ok with everyone?

Also, alot of people missed commenting on cards near the top of this page, so dont forget to scroll up and take a look!

L

Landkiller

Well, to use Stolen Goods you gotta have the right connections (black mana)

And using it multiple times in a turn isn't broken, it actually seems kinda foolish, since you only draw 1 card. I would say it's quite worse than Vampiric Tutor, although it probably is it's own deck archetype. Think Flores Black. It would be broken with extremely good lifegain and extremely good card drawing effects and extremely good mana production, but if you have all that do you really need this?

And it does have an obscure drawback vs. anyone able to generate black mana.

But most of all, it's in red/black, the color combination less likely to have :
"extremely good lifegain and extremely good card drawing effects and extremely good mana production"
than any other combination.

Unravel (has this name been used) W1X
Instant - Common
Remove target artifact or enchantment with a casting cost of X from the game. Gain X life.

Confederation 1WUB
Enchantment - Rare
As Confederation comes into play, choose a color. During each upkeep, set aside all non-land permanents you control that are not of the chosen color, and gain control of all permanents of the chosen color.
When Confederation leaves play, return all permanents set aside by Confederation and each player gains control of each permanent he or she owns.

This card needs errata, already, but I'm not the one with "Mad Rulz Skilz" enough to do it.

Defile RB
Sorcery - Uncommon
Destroy target land.

Converge 1U
Instant - Uncommon
For each basic land type you control, you may return a target non-creature permanent to it's owner's hand.

Salted Wounds 1B
Enchant Creature - Common
For each damage that would be dealt to enchanted creature, instead put a -1-1 counter on that creature and it's controller loses 1 life.
Despite being over twice as good as Creature Bond, it probably still isn't playable.

Benfit of Experience U
Enchantment - Common
Remove target card in any graveyard from the game, and set it under Benefit of Experience.
That card cannot be played.
If Benefit of Experience leaves play, place that card in it's owner's graveyard.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Falzier Vipers GR
Creature - Snake - Uncommon
First Strike
You may play Falzier Vipers as an instant.
2/1

Tiger Hunter 4R
Creature - Barbarian - Rare
When Tiger Hunter comes into play, choose a creature type.
Tiger Hunter gains protection from the chosen creature type.
Whenever a creature of the chosen type comes into play, Tiger Hunter loses it's protection until the end of the turn.
5/4

Falzier Jar RB
Creature - Jar - Rare
When Falzier Jar taps, pay 1 life and flip a coin. If you win the flip, put a 4/4 Red and Black Efreet token into play, with Flying.
0/2

Kalusari Emissary WU
Creature - Illusion - Rare
T : Each player may discard a card to search his or her library for any card and put that card in hand.
1/1
The Kalusari make few enemies.

Rancid Fumes GRB
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices 2 lands and a creature if possible. Put a 3/3 Trample Red, Black and Green Abomination token into play if each player sacrificed 2 lands and a creature in this way.

Mercy of the Grave B
Instant
Destroy target nonblack creature that blocked a black creature this turn. That creature can't regenerate.

Deactivation W
Enchant Artifact or Enchantment
Enchanted Artifact or Enchantment has no game text.

L

Landkiller

Yeah, Verbal Assault should cost U1, I think. I was trying to make it look almost like Assault. In fact, I almost made Verbal Assault/Verbal Battery, but reflected on the retarded name and thought better of it. :)

If you guys think Stolen Goods should change, I can understand that. Probably the ability should cost B or 2. That would satisfy my tastes. Maybe even
"2 : Add B to your mana pool. Any player may play this ability."

Oh, and should it be pure black rather than black-red. Probably. But to discourage the nasty blue black uses, I make it cost different.
That's what I'd add.

Stolen Goods 1BB
Enchantment
2 : Add B to your mana pool. Any player may play this ability.
B, Pay 2 life : Search your library for any card, set it aside, then shuffle your library. Put the card on top of your library. Any player may play this ability.

F

FoundationOfRancor

That new version of Stolen Goods looks excellent Landkiller:)

Can you go back and edit your orignal post?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Converge is probably too cheap. I'd say at least 1UU. On turn two, you could play a Rushing-River-with-kicker for one mana less without sacrificing lands! Maybe it should be 3U.

That Tiger Hunter card might need to be 4/4, but it's so specialized anyway that it's probably fine.

The rest of the cards look great!

Oh, FoR, just out of curiosity, why were all those cards from the Sliver set that you just brought back green?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, those arent even all of the green cards...I got tired, and I remember saying that we shouldnt add more than 10 cards at a time.....I didnt want to go against that...

F

Firestorm

Vaseline Intensive Care
2W
When Vaseline Intensive Care comes into play, draw a card.
If a spell or artifact would deal two or less damage to you, Prevent that Damage.
Heals Severly Dry Skin