Survivor: Pearl Islands

E

EricBess

A couple of seasons ago, I would have agreed with you, but the end game always ends up bringing out the worst in a few people and really shaking up aliances. For some reason, backstabbing starts to seem more like "playing the game" unless it was recent.

And remember, even though we don't see everything, we see a lot of stuff that the other players don't. For example, we know that John would sell his grandmother on the black market if it would give him an advantage in the game, but at this point, the other players don't know just how far he would go. After all, they did, as was pointed out, vote out T over Burton.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
like you, I am trying to predict what will happen based on what we know and have seen and what they might do. For instance, Rupert knows John and Burton voted against him (John twice, even after promising not to after the first time) so presumably he would be against both of them and probably see Burton as the lesser of two evils should it come down to both of them. On the other hand, in a previous Survivor, there was a lady who, when voted off, said a particular player would not get her vote at the end and by the end, did a turnaround and voted for her to get the money. So like you say, who knows, we're just guessing :)

E

EricBess

Well, it almost happened, didn't it? Jon worked his magic once again on Lil, who turned on D instead of sticking with the plan.

You know, Lil really isn't too bright. I can't believe she fell for that, "D doesn't want you in the final 2 because she doesn't think she can win against you." Duh!!! At that point, no one wanted to go up against Lil. LEAST OF ALL, Jon. But she's not too bright.

And for all the talk of her being a threat because she is "nice", whatever! 6 to 1 against didn't surprise me at all. After she chose Sandra, my wife and I started talking about who would vote for who and we realized that Lill didn't have a chance unless she pulled of some smooth talking at tribal counsel. And you know what? The best she could have done was 4-3 in her favor and she talked herself out of everyone but T. I'm surprised T voted for her myself.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that they asked who would have voted for Lill over Jon. The truth of the matter is that it wasn't very scientific. Remember, this is how much later and they have had a chance since then to watch the whole thing. I stand by my assertion that if Lil had booted Sandra, Jon would have won the million.

Personally, I'm most surprised that I'm the first person to comment on the finale. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it was either myself or train who would have commented next, so you had 33% chance...

I just saw it on tape last night anyway :)

Lil is definitely not too bright and way too easily swayed, at least from what was shown. I'm glad that she chose Sandra from a heartfelt, emotional point of view and Jon didn't make the finals but yeah, logically, she should have gone with Jon. Although knowing Lil as she is for her nice (some might say naive) nature, Sandra was the logical choice for her (not gamewise).

Sandra said a few things during the jury questioning and final statement that I thought might have swayed some people, but as my wife pointed out, 9 times out of 10 they already have their minds made up and it would take a lot to make them change it.

I agree that the asking if they would vote for Lil or Jon during the reunion was kinda hokey; not only had everyone watched the show but you never know if Jon or Lil could have made a big blunder during the jury questioning and caused a change of heart. But I think Lil would have won out; Jon screwed over too many people to get enough votes.

T

train

i have actually been so encompassed with school and the like, that studies kept me from watching the last couple of weeks...

and no spidey - I still don't know how to get the VCR recording properly(well I do, but it takes effort...)...

Either way - we were glad Sandra won it and not Jon, though we know Lil would have put the money to great use had she won it - not just personal use, but other good deeds - in our minds...

Can't wait til next season - hopefully school stays on the back burner thursday nights... This having a Friday 8:00 class is for the dogs...:D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, we barely get a breather before the next season... it's only about a month and a half away...

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Spiderman
But I think Lil would have won out; Jon screwed over too many people to get enough votes.
Maybe, but this is where I disagree a bit. Obviously, at this point, we'll never know for sure, but I would argue that Lil screwed over just as many people as Jon. If it were Lil and John, people would think "Jon played the game and manipulated everyone. I hate him, but he did play the game." On the other hand, why did Lil screw everyone over? Rupert tore into her hard. Rupert obviously disliked Jon as well (practically high-fived the jury when Burton was kicked), but in the end, Jon was never a hypocrite and I personally think that would have made the difference.

After all, Rich won the first season, right?

But it will be interesting to see who is on the next season. All Stars. Rupert and Jon could be back as early as next month...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Lil "screwed" everyone over, but I don't think she got on people's nerves as much as Jon did. People can and have changed their mind from when they got voted off to when they vote for the winner, but I think Jon left too many bad tastes in people's mouths. He would have gotten Burton's vote, for sure; Sandra, Kristy, and Rupert would have been against him, and it's a toss-up between Darrah, T, and Ryan O (all members of the other tribe when they started out :) ) I think Darrah would have leaned against him since she lasted the longest and had more chance to see him "in action"; T and Ryan O have no idea. But since Lil just needed one more vote to go with the anti-Jon block, chances are she would have won it.

T

train

So... any plans for a web-slinger on survivor?...

Loco here thought about it, but that's a lot of time away from work, and home if you last long enough...:eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, I've thought about it, but I hate auditioning :)

I like Amazing Race more in terms of wanting to actually do it :)