Survivor: Palau

E

EricBess

Yeah, no real surprize last week. Looking forward to see what happens this week, though. Going to be an interesting "merge" if the teams are 8-2 (and that only because of the week when even the winner had to vote someone off).

And Spidey, your math is a bit off. 2 people in the final 2, plus 7 in the jury, plus the one that gets voted out first not being in the jury, that's 10 people in the merge, not 12 :D. I think it seems like there should have been a merge by now because things have been so lop-sided. Still, in just about every season but the first, they mixed up the tribes at some point, and that never happened.

Killer Joe

Steph, Man she can hang tough. They should've let her be the caller for the star puzzle. And the guy that did it should've been voted off not Ebraheem <sp?>.

As for the "bonus" air drop, both groups dropped the ball, they waited too long to light the fire, doh!

I'm new to this adventure but howinthehell di they split the teams up; stupid vs not-so-stupid? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if Robb & Amber came to the island and win the game! ;)

E

EricBess

LOL...Rob and Amber would waste this group without them even realize they were playing. But I don't think it was the fire that was so important. Smoke would have helped a bit, but it was during the day, so the light from the flames wouldn't have helped much. I think the bigger issue was the fact that Ulong had their's up under the trees instead of out in the open.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Steph is so lucky. Not sure what Bobby Jon's thinking was in voting Ib off, maybe he realized Steph was the stronger of the two? And Steph did try to get Ib to vote Bobby Jon off, but I guess she wasn't confident that he'd do it so she didn't go for a three-way tie.

But yeah, Bobby Jon was a terrible choice as the caller of the puzzle.

I think flames help make "Help challenge" more visible, daylight or not - you're gonna notice fire. But since neither of them used fire (if I remember correctly) successfully, it was more of how visible it was on the beach.

You starting to watch this with your wife, KJ? :p

Killer Joe

How 'bout that Steph! She alone could wipe out the other tribe. All those losers she was with were draggin her down. NOW, maybe Robb and Amber will come to her rescue (of couse, they might be late catching a cab what with those girls with revenge on their minds :rolleyes: )

...or maybe Amarosa will show up?! Nah, a coconut will probably fall on her head :eek:

T

train

That's a lot of shows in one post isn't it KJ?...

I think the whole cutthroat method of play rob is using is pretty interesteing... still haven't seen much though...

E

EricBess

Well, if you haven't seen this week's episode yet, I don't want to give anything away. I thought the immunity challenge was a bit odd. It basically came down to who could hold their breath longer, but the way they did it, I have a feeling that the tide was slightly higher on one side than the other...

I think it's really sad that everyone wanted to boot off Stephanie. If Tom and Ian really thought about it, I would say a pre-determined final-4 with Stephanie should appear a bit more attractive than a pre-determined final-5 with 2 people that obviously are never going to vote for each other. Tom apparently wanted to vote differently, but I'm not sure he ever really figured it out...

E

EricBess

Warning.....spoiler alert...

That's the part I was trying to avoid talking about. They never even made it to the vote. Jeff practically begged them to keep Stephanie around and vote someone else off, but in the end, he (Jeff) manipulated the situation such that it became a non-issue.

So, Steph is around for yet another week. And for those who haven't seen the episode yet, once you get to the ending, it won't really be a surprise any more, but you'll have to watch to see the specifics.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, finally caught up with 4 weeks of shows. Whew! Although we missed taping the one where Coby got voted off... anything notable there?

Let's see... not sure if anyone remember the last episodes; I'm not even sure I do after several marathons of watching taped TV, but some general thoughts...

I was amazed they kept Ulong separate when it was down to one member. I guess you can't go by past Survivor history :) I think Bobby Jon should have won the challenge there but Steph is truly a fighter.

Missed the Coby episode as I said, so the next was when Janu quit. Like Steph, I personally can't see how out of thousands of applicants, when you're on the show you up and decide to quit. My wife said maybe 25+ days being out there got to her, look at her seemingly anorexia (thin body), etc., but I think Survivor's been going on long enough that everyone should know it's not a cakewalk. So Steph survived again.

Last week's episode was interesting in that many dynamics going on with alliances - the "top 4" with Tom, Ian, Steph, and Caryn, the all-women trying to get together although Caryn kinda blew that apart, one with Ian and Katy thinking about getting Tom off... but I could see why Steph still got voted off. It's too bad, but true... I'm still wondering if Jen and Gregg will be a factor - the show hasn't made much of their togetherness in a while.

And Ian was amazingly accurate in the immunity challenge - he definitely deserved it :)

Several links that I haven't posted in the past because I didn't want to touch the thread when I didn't see the shows :)

Coby Interview

Janu Interview

Survivor's Top 5 Alliances

E

EricBess

They didn't keep Stephanie alone. They did for like one night, but then they "merged"...if you can call it that.

Doesn't look like you've commented on last week's episode yet. Not sure if you saw that. I think people finally figured out that Greg and Jen were going to be more of a challenge to seperate than they were originally thinking.

Personally, I was disappointed in a few people, specifically Ian, but also Tom for not pointing out the obvious. After all, they had a top-5 planned with Greg and Jen involved. Everyone knew that Greg and Jen would take each other to the top-2 without even thinking about it. So after top-5, how easy did they think it would be to split them up?

On the other hand, keeping Stephanie around gives you a top-4 without Greg and Jen. Much better chances, especially since now you can easily get rid of Stephanie for a top-3 unless she wins all the immunities...

Still, they figured it out and managed to turn things, but it meant having to keep Caryn around. Given her history, that's a bit risky in and of itself...

Looks like next week, girls vs guys is going to be an issue again, so it might bite them yet kicking off Steph...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, I saw the episode over the weekend but forgot to comment :)

Yeah, I think having a two person "relationship" like G&J is very risky now, since generally people know you aren't going to stab each other (unless you're REALLY evil). Just like R&A... that should have been broken up when Lex had a chance back in All-Stars.

I'm not sure of Caryn's past history; I don't think she flip-flops or anything. She just happened to be outside the "main five" for most of the time. But this time it benefitted her 'cause otherwise she would have been gone.

But I also think unless they win immunity, Tom & Ian's days are numbered... they are pretty much the strongest in the group, so if the others have a chance to take them out, they probably will.

E

EricBess

My point on Caryn is that she's an unknown...Granted, how much can you trust anyone, right? She's clearly in a vulnerable position and in the past, that often leads to being a swing vote.

Historically, loyalty, even if it's just perceived, has actually played a significant role. If people have been watching each other's backs from the beginning, they are likely to continue to do so. In addition, people won't try to break it up.

Obviously, anyone can turn at any point, but there is a reason why everyone voted for Greg except Jen. They were clearly allied, so no one can tell Jen the plan. Any alliance to vote of Tom will likewise probably not involve Ian unless he initiates it (leaving him alone - not likely).

Caryn has no such perceived loyalty. It's a bit ironic that the very vunerability makes her a bit of a threat, too, but one that you have to keep around to maintain the numbers. I think Tom, Ian, and Katie had a chance to get loyalty from Steph.

Although - Caryn effectively stopped the original woman's aliance by telling Tom. Maybe she feels some odd loyalty towards Tom after all. Or...maybe she's playing the game better than anyone. After all, Tom basically told her that if she helped vote of Steph, she would be next and she did it anyway. And she's still around...