Survivor: Palau

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the location of the current one? Anyway, got to see the first episode while it aired :eek: and thought that "picking of teams and having two eliminated right then" was dumb. Thought the two early swimmers who misjudged the distance was funny. But haven't really formed any opinion about the remaining people yet.

E

EricBess

I didn't think it was that dumb...I just made is so that first impressions became pretty important. The two people eliminated were the annoying lady who had tons of survivor songs and (if I remember right), the guy who jumped in the water. That surprised me a bit because he seemed reasonably strong (relatively speaking), but I think that forming alliances and friendships right from the start became pretty important. In fact, I was really surprised when Anji wasn't picked by the gay guy. That's pretty telling.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never seen this show, but I know Pilau is a beautiful place...

Edit: And no, I don't have a clue whether I spelled it correctly. I don't remember how it's spelled.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: I'll found out one of these days and correct and remove the question mark from the thread title... ;)

EricBess: I guess, but it seems like a waste of time and not really what I think Survivor should be about. You know how you hate in Amazing race how some Roadblocks seem to come down to chance and not skill? I feel the same way about that type of elimination here :) I think they should have "earned" their departure, such as coming in last in an individual challenge, not something as grade-school as picking teams.

I do agree with you about Cody? Coby? Colby? not picking Anji next when it was his turn. That was strange.

Now about last night (I'm getting to see them as they air so far because we're able to put our kid to bed earlier :) )... Anji turned out to be a powerhouse in the reward challenge. Katy(?) on the other team didn't do too well swinging... Tom the firefighter is definitely coming out as a leader though seemingly denying the role when he had the altercation with that other lady who questioned the move to a different tribe location. But that other girl was right - you're there, so move on. Tom also pretty much handled the immunity challenge from what was shown - he probably hauled that underwater chest a good 30-40 feet on his own. Everyone else, on both teams but especially the losing one (Ulong?) didn't seem to be able to hold their breath long enough to do anything.

A bit surprised at how the voting turned out in the end considering all the stuff that was shown with Stephanie seemingly trying to get votes for Kim, but apparently that was all a smokescreen, probably for Ashlee's sake and the viewer's to provide some "guessing". But Ashlee did seem to be out of it and probably needed to get off. Unfortunately, I have a teensy problem with people who it seems can't handle the game that little into it... there are so many people who probably tried out and wanted their chance. But I also understand that it may not be what they expected or they think they could handle it but can't after all, which is why it's a "teensy" problem :) At least she didn't explicitly give up like that dude a couple of games back.

E

EricBess

Just checked cbs.com. It's Palau.

Anyway, I see your point, Spidey, but I think they did "fail" a challenge. It just wasn't an explicit one like most challenges. After all, when a team wins imunity, it's very infrequent that the person who did the worst on that immunity challenge is the one that's voted out. It's usually interpersonal skills that come into play in one form or another.

So, in my opinion, those two people failed the test of "first impressions". I do agree that it feels like a bit of a rip-off that they didn't get a chance to show people their real personality, but personally, I don't think it's that much worse than the person who gets kicked off first because the first immunity challenge wasn't his thing. I would rather see people get kicked out because no one else likes them... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, saw the latest over the weekend...

Not too much to say. Angie seems to be taking the challenges by storm, dunking the other team in the reward challenge. Wierd how Ulong seems to win the rewards but lose the immunity challenges... and sucks about Jeff twisting (?) his ankle and having gotten voted off - it's great that he "took one for the team", but sucks that it was essentially a "gimme" vote and he couldn't do his best... but dem's the breaks, I guess.

E

EricBess

Yep. Personally I think that they should have kicked off Kim anyway. The one guy commented that Jeff with a bad ankle still does more work than Kim anyway. The thing is, Jeff is pretty strong and they are losing in the strength and endurance competitions.

From what I've seen, most of the reward challenges have been won because they are approaching them more creatively, but they haven't been able to do that with immunity.

So, getting back to Jeff, I think they would have been better served to pamper him a few days to see if his ankle improved. An injury like that is either going to get better on its own with a day or two of rest, or it is going to stay bad until treated. It might have been worth it to effectively give up a reward challenge to hopefully get a strong member back. Worse-case scenario is he's still having problems 3 days later, at which time the vote is very easy...

Of course, things change so fast on Survivor that the fact that they voted him off doesn't surprise me, either. Plus, tribal council is inherently confrontational and it was an easy choice for most just to avoid that this week...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, he said in his interview that it took months to heal, but of course you don't really know that when you're on the show and need to make a decision (although I think he said that when asked also when he was on the show because he knew his ankle and how long it took to heal last time). Still, that snippet where they showed him splitting coconuts one-handed showed he was still strong physically in the upper body. I don't know if it's intentional (it probably is) to show Kim not doing anything - I mean, she has to be doing something, but it all makes for good suspense and TV to show she's not.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Managed to see last night's as it aired. Man, Ulong is doing so baaad. But at least we get to see what it's like when one team's losing all the time (the immunity challenges). But I think they're probably re-allocate the tribes soon, another "pick the color buff out of the hat" thing.

Even though the women kept Ulong in the immunity challenge in general (except for Kim), I don't think the men did too bad. Bobby Jon gave Tom a run for his money, and James held his own against Colby at least the second time.

I wish they would say why they picked Koror over Ulong for the reward challenge; I though Ulong's sink was pretty creative. But it was probably the shakiness of construction - the guy shook the rear a coupel times and it looked like it shook pretty bad.

And it looked like Kim got a unanimous vote, despite all that talk about the girls sticking together. I guess it was all a smokescreen for her benefit...

E

EricBess

You know, it didn't even occur to me, but you're right. Usually, they do a tribe shuffle after about 4 people get voted off. The merge usually happens with 10 people and they are currently at 11 with no shuffling of tribes. In fact, I think only once was the merge something other than 10 and it was with 9 after doing a "fake merge" right before that.

I wonder if anything out of the ordinary is going to happen next week. Usually, the tribes can't sit the same person out in back-to-back challenges, but now it looks like they don't really have a choice.

I was confused by Stephanies vote, but I think I figured it out. She wanted Ibraheim out, clearly, but I think she was more concerned that Bobby Jon was feeding her a line. If he realized that she was the one that wrote his name down, she might tell her to vote for James, knowing James would vote Ibraheim, and then He (Bobby Jon) and Ibraheim could vote out Stephanie with 2 votes. I think she realized this and decided to protect herself by voting for Ibraheim first. Then, if they did vote for her, it would lock in a tie between her and Ibraheim. Since they did vote James, it was easy enough to switch her vote the second time.

It will be interesting next week to see if Bobby Jon confronts her on it.

Still, for all the talk of them trusting each other, I think it's pretty clear that they stop trusting each other the moment it comes to writing down names.

I just can't believe they keep losing. They have fairly strong people on their team, but they just can't pull it together. Each week, someone blows it for the whole team it seems. Jame's "just tie one good knot" was obviously not very successful.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Managed to see 3/16 episode although 3/23 is still on hold.

No, they usually do a merge at 12 people as the first one voted out isn't on the jury and then the next seven are. But here, Koror still had its full complement of 9 people while Ulong was down to 5, making for 14. And Jeff said they're NOT doing a merge at 12 (after the two eliminations).

Yeah, Ulong was ahead in several challenges but can't seem to pull it together. I think they look strong but actually aren't (see Angie's interview below). Ibreham especially - the saki bottle challenge, the wrestling challenge, and the one wear they wore backpacks and tried to catch the other team around a rope circle... in all of them, he didn't pull what you'd expect to be his weight and worth. He's lucky he got immunity, but Koror probably realized he was a weak link and wanted to keep him :)

Speaking of Koror, the sub-alliance with Gregg (and others) and Colby should be interesting if they can pull it off. Tom and Ian will be pretty surprised.

Willard Smith Interview

Angie Jakusz Interview

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Caught up with this one too, although I only taped the last half hour as I forgot March Madness was still pre-empting it on Thursday night. So we came in when Ulong looked to be going to their reward challenge win of Pringles and drinks? Can someone fill us in on what the challenge was?

Other than that, again, not much to say. Yeah, James seemed to be too confident with his "one knot" thing :) I don't know why Stephanie voted for James when now it seems all Bobby Jon and Ibreham have to do is vote her off; why should Bobby Jon switch allies? That just seemed dumb. There's probably a merge going to happen soon now but if it doesn't and Ulong loses yet again, Steph ought to go just for that :)

Killer Joe

Steph is very competetive and strong Iberaham is lazy, so if I were BJ I'd stick with Steph.

Ulong has gone to tribal council like six times in a row, how many more times can they go?

Merge anytime soon?

<KJ: I've got NO idea what all this is about :rolleyes: >

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It depends if BJ sees Ibreham that way. But like I said, if he already has a little alliance with Ibreham, so far there's really no reason to change (if there's not a merge). But I think a merge is coming. They're down to three people! :)

Killer Joe

This is a "pop" radio station that's the most popular and they have phone interviewes with all of the survivor rejects. Today was the Hillbilly (forgot name) and they roasted him to no end. They teased him about the girly hair-dresser guy from 'Cisco. They cranked on him about Steph, and totally annihilated him on his "loose" garments at the tribal meeting, they said you see his *oink* :rolleyes: Then asked how long is it!