Survivor: Heros vs Villains

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, she and Tom had a history, so much so that they formed an alliance, so I'm not sure why he would say that aout her and not about another, for example... I think he just disliked her talking so much.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, the heroes went on a rampage in the challenge. 8-0 and skunked the villains, although if Coach hadn't been too anxious and caused a do-over, it might had been 8-1.

Randy definitely seemed to be the one of the most expendable on the villain tribe - I thought it was funny when he said he didn't fit in with this tribe nor did he fit in with his original tribe on his first show. I just don't think he would fit in anywhere, given his personality :)

Can't really remember much else of the show - that's what happens when I watch it Friday and have several days to forget it :)

E

EricBess

I think the funniest part was when it was 7-0 and the final challange was Randy vs. James. Really? Was there any point pretending? I half expected Randy to just take a step backwards into the mud before they even said "go".

Honestly, though, I think the only reason the Villians stand a chance in any of the challenges is Rob and then, only if there is a puzzle. The Heroes have dominated everything physical all season, but they would probably have lost this one had they been required to tie their own shoelace to score the point.

I agree about Randy. I think they are right to be warry of Parvarti, but if they don't win challenges, it won't matter how much scheming there is or how many friends she might have on the other side.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure how the matchups were determined, but maybe the Heros just have more stronger guys than the Villains overall so it couldn't be helped.

E

EricBess

I'm guessing that either the matchups were random, or each team chose their order without knowing the other team's order. In which case, the heroes decided to keep their best for last as an "anchor" and the villians wanted to get all of their best of front. Overall, it seemed like every matchup was very close and all could have gone either way, but the heroes were just more determined...until that final match-up which wasn't even a contest.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Some matches weren't close. I think Cirie's matchup was pretty much the same way, just pushed and shoved and overmuscled her opponent. And/or Amanda's and a guy or two's (Rupert maybe?)

Melkor

Just looking at the teams the first day it was pretty clear that the Hero tribe had a size and strength advantage but the first two immunity challenges showed that they had a coordination and puzzle problem. So this challenge was tailor made for them, all one on one matchups. Like you guys said, we don't know how the matchups were made but if they did get to decide, they might have figured that whoever faced James was going to lose anyway, so why not use their weakest male to be the sacrificial lamb?

Randy was on the outs with everybody and even veteran players don't want to make a hard decision if they don't have to, so he was an easy compromise.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the heroes are reverting back to their losing ways, losing both the reward and immunity challenges. The "good" thing is that they were both close all the way, instead of the heros being ahead and then blowing the lead. They might have had a chance at the immunity idol if Tom and his ball handlers had gotten to the maze sooner since it appeared that they both reached the end point nearly at the same time and it was just who could drop it in the hole first.

It would be interesting to see if the Villain tribe does indeed vote out Russell for looking for the idol or he manages to scramble and save himself.

Coach gets dramatic.

First blindside with Cirie and it looks from the previews that Candice will throw in her lot with Tom and Colby, so it will be interesting how the tribe dynamics change next week. Cirie was right about Amanda though - not sure how Amanda could consider a deal with Tom and Colby when they were the ones who wanted her out and they didn't really offer anything "great" by potentially joining their alliance.

Saw this on my news website (comcast) and thought it was pretty funny... best line is
Russell (aka the "Hobbit on crack," per Boston Rob)
but there's plenty others. I'm gonna see if past ones are still up.

E

EricBess

Its always interesting to see how the ultimate vote plays out. Not the vote itself, but all of the talk leading up to the vote. They want to get rid of Tom and Colby, but then JT says he wants to get rid of Candice first and Amanda jumps on the bandwagon and they get a few people on board until Cirie sets them straight and ends up getting voted out herself by overthinking the idol and splitting their forces. Ultimately, this leads to becoming vulnerable to any of the 3 "voting" for Colby to switch and vote with Colby instead, which is exactly what happens.

I guess things were getting pretty complicated already, but why they didn't realize this possibility and have people who might not be as solid with the alliance vote for Tom and those who were solid vote for Colby. At least then, if someone turns, there is a tie-break vote where they control the numbers.

Regardless, I think ultimately, getting rid of Cirie is best for the tribe. She is playing for end-game and they are still far from getting there. Still, that makes sense for her because anyone playing for current wins has to look at getting rid of her. So even though her strategy is less likely to leave them with a tribe, its the only way for her personally to survive. I'm just surprised that so many others are already focused on end-game because of her.

I mean, come on...Tom isn't as strong as he was last time he played, but he and Colby are still perhaps the second and third strongest members of the team physically (James being the first).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think everyone was pretty solid on trusting JT, so they didn't consider the possibility (or that it was remote) that he'd switch. I think they all think he's a leader in the alliance too.

Rupert is pretty strong, but he's got that broken toe...

Oh, in the reward challenge, I know it's random, but they should have had Cirie and Sandra pair up. Both did the exact (non)slide to the ball... :)

E

EricBess

That would have been funny...see if it turned into another instance of the first challenge where all the injuries happened, just to keep each other from the ball. I did notice that at least the heroes seemed to figure out that if they really yanked their ball off hard, then the other ball would be bouncing around and harder to grab for a few seconds.

Melkor

I don't know how they decided who voted for who but if J.T. was committed to voting with Tom and Colby but was supposed to vote for Tom he could have had Tom give the idol to Colby. Very good episode, I think it was the right move for J.T. as long as he can smooth everything over with the rest of the tribe. Keeps the tribe physically strong and gives J.T. two guys he can trust a lot more than Cirie.

E

EricBess

Melkor - yes, I considered that as well, but then there is an additional question of would he have. It's one thing to protect yourself directly and quite another to protect by proxy. I think Tom is enough of a team player that it is fair to say he might have, but hard to know for sure.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From what I saw, I think they had figured out who was going to vote for who and that's why JT knew he was voting for Colby and why Tom could play the immunity idol safely and know that Colby would only get 2 votes instead of 3 since JT switched.

E

EricBess

Right, but Colby and Tom got that information from JT, so they had to trust that he was telling them the truth and not just telling them a line to get the idol out and get rid of Colby at the same time... JT did comment at one point that he wasn't sure which way to go. Sometimes I wonder if they tell them to say things like that for the camera because it seemed pretty clear to me that he was planning on voting the way he did and I think it was the right call.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but either way, Tom & Colby had to trust JT because it really didn't matter. I mean, why go through the farce of telling them something when, if JT stayed true to his original alliance, it really didn't matter because there was a plan to get either of them out, regardless of the idol? And JT is still pretty much a straight-shooter, not a real devious type like some players (like Russell). I think Tom & Colby had to trust JT once he started talking to them about switching, because that was the best they could do.

E

EricBess

I agree with you. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Tom would have extended that to giving the idol to Colby. This situation has come up before in other seasons and the person with the idol often decides to just let their alliance member get voted out, thinking that holding the idol for themself is more valuable in the long run. I think Tom is probably enough of a team player that he would have handed the idol to Colby if necessary, but I think it was also a bit lucky for them that they didn't have to find out.

Melkor

In the end, I just don't think J.T.'s alliance was suspicious enough to force J.T. to vote for Tom rather than Colby, therefore I'm sure it was easy enough for J.T. to arrange it so that he was supposed to vote for Colby. It really didn't matter who voted for who to them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as we all know and apparently they just figured out themselves, the Heros suck at puzzles. That's either 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 where they went into the puzzle section with a lead and lost it. Geez...

Looks like JT and Courtney went with the group and voted Tom out after all. Like Jeff said, we'll see if James really can keep up in the future challenges, bum knee and all.

Although getting it in the first place sucked. At least he did it to himself and it wasn't due to excessive violence in the pit. Rupert's hit on Jerri though was ouch!, although that seemed unintentional and he immediately apologized.

Let's see how long Russell stays on the show, idol and all, after finding it and being marked by Rob and Sandra and from the previews of the next show. Coach is just... dopey, I mean, the whole "knighting" scene was nauseating. :)