Survivor: Heros vs Villains

T

train

here's the list copied from the page...

Name: Tyson Apostol

Previous Season: “Survivor: Tocantins”

I think Tyson is the most underrated pick on this list. His sniping comments were sorely missed after he was voted out of Brazil. Very pleased.

How Worthy? Four torches out of five.
randy Name: Randy Bailey

Previous Season: “Survivor: Gabon”

Another super solid, underrated pick. Due to Susie Smith’s defection, Randy never really got a chance to maneuver in the Gabon. Hopefully he’ll get a chance to show how evil he can be this time.

ruppert Name: Rupert Boneham

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: Pearl Islands” and “Survivor: All Stars”

Love him or hate him, Rupert Boneham is maybe the third most famous name in “Survivor” history behind Richard Hatch and Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

How Worthy? Five torches out of five.
james Name: James Clement

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: China” and “Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites”

James will go down in history as the first player to be voted out while holding two immunity idols. Unfortunately, outside of that fun fact he doesn’t do much for me.

How Worthy? Two torches out of five.
sandra Name: Sandra Diaz-Twine

Previous Season: “Survivor: Pearl Islands”

I’m all for the former winners returning. They’ve earned it. But Sandra a villain? That’s a bit of a stretch.

dd Name: Danielle DiLorenzo

Previous Season: “Survivor: Panama”

As a runner-up, I can definitely see the appeal of bringing Danielle back, but she doesn’t really inspire me as a fan of the show. Honestly, I don’t remember very much about her.

How Worthy? One torch out of five.
colby Name: Colby Donaldson

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: The Australian Outback” and “Survivor: All Stars”

Colby shined in Australia and fizzled during “All Stars.” He’s a big name to be sure, but I’ve never found him to be that strong of a political player. This may sound ridiculous, but the game is much more complex than it was in 2001.

Ranking: Two torches out of five.
cirie Name: Cirie Fields

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: Panama” and “Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites”

Cirie is very much a fan favorite and has shown a willingness to make big moves to improve her position in the game. I’m definitely on board with her inclusion.

russell Name: Russell Hantz

Previous Season: “Survivor: Samoa”

You expect me to question the inclusion of the most popular player since Rupert Boneham? Not a chance. Russell seeds for everyone!

How Worthy? A hundred billion torches out of five.
amanda Name: Amanda Kimmel

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: China” and “Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites”

Amanda’s claim to fame is being the only player to make it to two final tribal councils. So, I guess she should keep coming back until someone votes her off. But doesn’t it seem like she’s on every other series? Her house plants must be in bad shape.

sugar Name: Jessica “Sugar” Kiper

Previous Season: “Survivor: Gabon”

Hoo-boy…where to start with Sugar? America loved her in Gabon, but I question her will to play the game. She always struck me as someone who just wanted to shine on TV to help her acting career. That being said, let’s hope her and Randy end up on the same tribe at some point

How Worthy? Three torches out of five.
steph Name: Stephenie LaGrossa

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: Palau” and “Survivor: Guatemala”

She’s a fan favorite, she was the surviving member of Palau’s Ulong tribe, and she got to the final two in Guatemala. Solid pick.

jerri Name: Jerri Manthey

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: The Australian Outback” and “Survivor – All Stars”

I understand why they’d invite Jerri back, but I’ve never found her to be that strong of a player. That, and it’s no fun to call her a villain after the audience made her cry at the “Survivor: All Stars” reunion.

How Worthy? Two torches out of five.
boston Name: “Boston” Rob Mariano

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: Marquesas” and “Survivor – All Stars”

Yes, yes, and extra yes. All-star shows are a bit of a crap shoot. The fact that all of the players already know each other cuts into the strategic aspects. However, “Boston” Rob absolutely owned the first all-star season and would have won it all if it wasn’t for a bitter jury. Let’s see if he can dominate again.

parvati Name: Parvati Shallow

Previous Seasons: “Survivor: Cook Islands” and “Survivor – Fans vs. Favorites”

Again, I’m all for winners being brought back into the game. And when they look like Parvati, I’m double all for it.

jt Name: James “J.T.” Thomas Jr.

JT is a great pick, but this guy is dead in the water. A likable winner from the last season the contestants saw before they started the game? He’s a goner.

coach Name: Benjamin “Coach” Wade

Somewhere the “Survivor” editing crew is cheering now that they have the “Dragon Slayer” back on the show. Clearly the montages of Coach doing yoga were some of their most inspiring work.

tom Name: Tom Westman

Previous Season: “Survivor: Palau”

Captain America is back! Nobody has dominated a season the way he did and managed to win. Absolutely worthy of inclusion and maybe the player I’m most excited to see. Color me giddy.

candice Name: Candice Woodcock

Previous Season: “Survivor: Cook Islands”

Huh…really? This one honestly has me stumped. Was every other former “Survivor” contestant busy?

How Worthy? One torch out of five.
courtney Name: Courtney Yates

Previous Season: “Survivor: China”

I like this pick a lot. I want them to put her and Tyson in a corner and let them make snarky comments the whole time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks dude...

Some names I recognize, some I need to see their picture (that's how memorable they were to me :) )

Ah, the Dragon Slayer though... forgot about him.

T

train

I remembered a few - but missed some seasons and didn't know others at all...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the first episode, will try to watch them as they come this season :)

Yep, didn't remember some of the contestants... forgot Sugar was going to be on it and can't believe she's one of the Heroes... I mean, she may be one of the most-loved contestants but that doesn't mean she's a "hero"... there had to be others in the 300+ past people who've taken part... but maybe they all declined it :) So I guess it wasn't totally unexpected that she was eliminated first (I bet Colby is glad!)

Not sure what happened in the immunity challenge with the Heroes - they should have won that by a landslide. Just a meltdown in the puzzle section, I guess...

Boston Rob definitely seems to have mellowed a bit.

E

EricBess

Yeah, not sure what happened with the puzzle, but they couldn't even get it started. The villians made it look like it wasn't too tough a puzzle, so they must have really misunderstood something fundimental about how to get started. At first, it looked like the first few pieces were okay, but they ended up without a single piece being placed.

I'm not sure why Sugar wouldn't be one of the heroes, she really wasn't very coniving, which seems to be their only constraint. I suppose if you think of them as "these are the people that stepped up and did something", then yeah, she shouldn't be there. She flew pretty much under the radar. But then again, so did Courtney on the Villians. The only difference being their attitude in the meantime.

I can't believe how agressively the villians were playing the reward challange. Stephanie with a dislocated shoulder and Rupert with a broken toe and the season hasn't even really started yet...

My recollection of Boston Rob was pretty much like we saw him. He was never hugely agressive, but he sat back controlling things from a distance. He and Russel are a lot alike in many ways, but Russel ultimately wants people to know he's in charge and Rob would rather everything think someone else is while he controls things behind the scenes. Both eventually get cocky when they think their plan is working well and can't fail.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just think there were a lot more players who acted "heroically" than Sugar. Probably the same with Courtney since I don't really remember her either.

Yeah, the villains seemed to get really physical. I noticed Tyson was quick with criticism about how Colby was beaten by Coach, yet nothing seemed to be said when *he* was beaten...

Well, it is early in the game, but Boston Rob seemed more dismissive of others very early on in previous shows, like you say. Now, he seems less so (unless he's simply overshadowed by now of the other big egos like Coach and Russell).

E

EricBess

That's true...Boston Rob did really come across previously as not respecting the other players. Perhaps Amber has taught him that :D, or perhaps it's just that no one would be on this season had they not proven themselves in some way, so he really does have more respect for them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he said several years of marriage and the birth of his kid has kind of changed him some... :)

Melkor

It would be an absolute shame if Boston Rob has to leave because of a medical thing.

I don't think it is fair to say that the villains were overly physical. The challenge was very physical by its nature. It seems like the villains could just have easily been hurt by things the heroes did. I actually don't like these challenges where they ask the competitors to go at each other but keep it to 9 and then Jeff actd weird when the competitors go to 10.

Sugar definitely felt like filler and I wasn't unhappy to see her go. I actually kind of liked her when she was originally on but she definitely doesn't sort of fit in with the Heroes vs. Villains theme in my opinion. So far, the season has promise, we'll just have to see if it fulfills it.

Final question, I read reports that this season started filming before the last season aired, so the other people don't know who Russel is, but the way that some people are talking seems to indicate that they do know something. Is there any definitive answer on how much of last season the people on this season saw?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it is fair to say that the villains were overly physical. The challenge was very physical by its nature. It seems like the villains could just have easily been hurt by things the heroes did. I actually don't like these challenges where they ask the competitors to go at each other but keep it to 9 and then Jeff actd weird when the competitors go to 10.
I agree with you about how dumb these physical challenges are (well, that's how I read it :) ), but c'mon, like with Tom's matchup, when the bag is several lines over, you don't need to keep the person in some kind of pinned wrestling move that seemed to be bending back his legs. From what was shown, the villains seemed to do all the unnecessary, extra physical stuff and the heros did enough to get the bag and to move it.

I never heard that about filming before the last season was done, but they may have saw the first several shows of the prior season before they had to go off and film this one and could have gotten familiar with Russell a little that way.

E

EricBess

My understanding was that they didn't have a chance to see any of last season. Jeff made a point of Russell being the "newcomer" and asked if anyone felt like that was advantage. I don't recall hearing anything that made me think they had seen anything of his season.

Melkor

I thought Pavarti and one of the other girls in a confessional talked in a manner that made them seem familiar with Russel's strategy. Nothing definitive, but like you said, what I have heard is that nobody saw last season before filming.

T

train

Saw bits... I like what EB noted about Rob - and I too think Amber has calmed him down... :cool:

Not sure if I want Colby to take this or not - I'm a Rupert fan... but Colby is all-texan... sheesh...

E

EricBess

I don't want to give too much away, then. But that was a serious case of dehydration if I ever saw it. I'm no expert, but it seemed like the same sort of thing that happened with Russell last season. It's hard exactly to figure out what is going on at the Villian's camp. It seems that there are only a few people that are actually willing to pitch in and that most people who are respect Rob, but there are clearly others who really don't like him.

So far, though, Rob's been really crutial in the Villian's winning the puzzles. That's twice in a row that the Heroes were ahead going into the puzzle. If they keep up this sort of challenge, the Heroes don't stand a chance.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the episode so we wouldn't fall behind (of course, it helps that other shows that we normally watch are on break right now, like CSI, Ghost Whisperer, and House... :) )

I don't think it was the same thing as Russell; it sounded like Rob had the flu. He may have been a bit dehydrated, but they said he looks worse than he actually was and Rob said when going back to camp that they said he should be fine in 48 hours.

I think the work ethic is the one (good) contrast between the two camps - you actually have all of the working people on one camp (Heros) and all the lazy people (except Rob, from what it looks like) on the Villains. Hearing the girls (Pavarti) complain about why couldn't they have gotten Tom or other working guys on their tribe just made me chuckle, because obviously they're used to other working and allowing them (the girls) to sit back and reap it :)

The heros disaster in the challenge was again stunning. What is up with them and puzzles? James seems to think it was because people were again talking and not deferring to "one voice" and that it was primarily Steph, so I guess we'll see if that's actually the case next week.

I can't tell if it's true or not because from what was shown, only James really seemed to think so. Obviously Tom and Colby, her alliance, didn't say so and none of James alliance members really said so either, from what was shown, so not sure if it was true or James was on a rampage.

Which doesn't look good from the peeks of next week's episode...

E

EricBess

Yeah, but Rupert had already commented about not trusting Steph, so while no one opening agreed with James, they weren't about to step in and defend her, either, like Tom did.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Rupert said he didn't trust/like her because she talked too much, that was it. I'm not saying no one else had to defend her, but since she was on the opposing alliance from most of them, you'd think that some would agree with James and say, yeah, she did cause us to fail at the challenge because she didn't listen to JT. No one did so (that was shown), so since it's only James word, it makes it more likely that it was in James' head.

E

EricBess

My recollection is that he also commented that she would turn very quickly and didn't have a lot of loyalty, but yeah, talking a lot was also part of it.