Survivor: Heros vs Villains

E

EricBess

Yeah, I knew I couldn't really say anything at all without giving away that Russell didn't win, but it's still interesting to see what happens. I think we all realized that with all of the backstabbing Russell did, he wasn't going to get significant votes even if he did make it to the final 3.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if he still tried to bribe the winner again so he could claim the title of "Greatest Survivor Player" :)

Still haven't seen it yet, been a busy week... hopefully this weekend...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, finally saw it and the reunion show this past weekend. I don't blame you guys if you forgot already what happened :)

Well, since I knew Russell wasn't going to win thanks to EricBess, when I saw the final four, I was pretty sure it was going to be Jerri or Sandra, because I don't think Parvati was going to get enough votes either and the other two really didn't offend anyone on the jury that I could see. So I was kinda happy that Sandra won.

I think it was telling that during the reunion, Russell said he didn't care about the social aspect of the game. Hello! That's a major part of it? Like Jeff said, the game is defined as dealing with the 20 or so contestants and tightrope-walking enough to gain their votes, it's not about America voting for you like Russell would like. People might like him and his style of play (as shown by him winning the Sprint challenge), but none of those people were trying to win a million dollars. I bet most of them would change their tune if they were playing the game and being on the receiving end of his machinations.

So not much else to say since I'm a couple of weeks late here... sorry guys :)

Melkor

I think an underappreciated part of the game is just how much time these people spend together. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a month, with no electronic distractions and almost no breaks. When people say that someone should "Just get over it" and reward the game play, I don't think they are considering how personal some of this can get even though it is a short amount of time. Additionally, I think that most jury members have it in their head that there is a duty to uphold at least some minimum standard of behavior (what that is obviously depends on the person). You can lie and betray people but there is a line that you can't cross, or rather, there is a line that you can't cross too many times. These are the reasons that Russell can't win playing the way that he does. He asks the jury at the end to respect his gameplay but they don't actually respect it, because most of the jury members think in their heads "I could have gotten there too if I'd been willing to take the shortcuts that Russell took". With all that said, Russell has been a great character, a great addition to Survivor lore.

As for final tribal council. I'd have voted for Parvati, I think she had a slightly harder overall journey but you have to respect the fact that Sandra was always on the bottom rung of her alliance and constantly clashed with the most powerful player in the game, but was never in serious danger of being voted out after the merge.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I always find it amusing when a show starts or is several episodes into it and someone "new" (not a returning vet) says, "Man, I never thought it would be this hard even though I watched it on TV".

there is a line that you can't cross too many times.
I think that's key because in the past, people on the jury *have* voted for others who have seemingly played the game very cut-throat, enough that us viewers (or at least me) would think they couldn't get any votes, yet they do because the jury members either do respect most of how the person played the game or wasn't directly affected by that person (like Coach would have been if the final three had been all heroes).

Melkor

I think most people who make it to the jury understand that almost nobody can get to the end without crossing the line, but they will punish you for how you cross the line and how many times.

E

EricBess

Ultimately, the final vote comes down to a popularity contest. Yes, some people ask the question "who do I think deserves to win", but I think the more important question that get asked is, "who do I want to win" or "who would I not feel bad about if they won".

If someone is personally responsible for taking you out of the game, the natural reaction is to hope that they don't win. And if you have a say in whether or not they do, you are going to try to give the money to your friend.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think all are priorities of the jury members and it depends on which priority has the majority for a particular jury. And, some members get over their voting out by a finalist; I can't remember the exact season(s), but I've been surprised by some of the votes of jury members when I thought they wouldn't vote for a particular person. The finalists answers may have helped their decision, but I don't think it was who that particular finalist was facing either...