Survivor: Exile Island

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Still haven't watched that last half hour... I think I caught the last 45 or 30 minutes of the recap show. Just a few "new footage" scenes that were just funny since we know the outcome, but having no real bearing on the game (I think)...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Finally watched that last half hour... I guess no real surprises since I saw the recap show. Dan "took one for the team" although he really wasn't that happy about it as shown in tribal council. And I'm curious about Terry's statements, when he said he had to make a "managerial decision". Does that mean if he screws up, he'll tell the others to vote him out? Just wondering... :)

E

EricBess

Well, the fact that he sees himself as "management" might end up getting him in the end. I think if they were forced to make the decision again with the 3 of them, the two younger guys might just stick together...

Of course, based on the previews for next week (not on this week), it may not matter for a while...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember if I've seen the previews... so I guess I haven't :)

I would think having someone seemingly unilaterally making a decision to choose who should go and who stays would be highly annoying to the other members, so they would vote him out, but there's probably a lot of stuff going on "behind the scenes" or not being shown that would explain the dynamics.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We saw the episode from 3/30 and first, we're wondering if we missed an episode? My wife says there used to be a preview with a helicopter scene and someone getting injured? but nothing like that happened in the 3/30 show... except Bruce getting whacked in the face with the machete.

I have to say, this season of Survivor just isn't that exciting. Yeah, there was a merge but despite Terry's best efforts to flip someone, the vote remained true down to tribal lines. Shane is awfully cocky but maybe rightfully so if everyone stays true to their tribe (or at least following his lead).

E

EricBess

Yeah, as much as everyone hates Shane, for some reason, they stick with him because he's promised them "fifth or sixth"...I'll never understand that. I guess they figure they are going to get fifth or sixth either way, so they might as well stay with their original tribe for it...?!?

No, you didn't miss an episode. The previews showed things that never happened. I think that between Courtney being sick and Bruce hitting his face with the Machette, they thought they would be more dramatic by implying that someone needed to get life flighted. Overall, it was a really bad ploy, serving only to leave people disappointed with what really did happen. Maybe trying to increase ratings, but it was incredibly short-sighted if so.

It's possible that the life-flight is from "upcoming episodes", but that's not what they said that I remember.

Personally, I think Terry is also too overconfident for his own good. After all, getting one person to flip is easier than getting two people to flip. He had a perfect strategy opportunity to get Shane off, simply by not winning immunity. But at this point, his strategy seems to be to win immunity every week and have a single fall-back for the week he doesn't manage to win immunity.

Based on the previews for next week, it looks like he is going to try to sway votes by offering to give up the idol. If that happens, I think he's going to find himself voted off with someone else holding the idol.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what we were discussing. The 5th and 6th people probably figure they'll be 5th or 6th no matter where they go, so they have more loyalty to their current tribe.

I think Terry is overconfident, but Shane is just blatant about it. I think his strategy is to win individual immunity and if he has two immunities, he'll give one up. I don't think he'll give up the Exile Island immunity if he only has one though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Missed the first 15 minutes so I missed the reward challenge, just got to see them pick who went to Exile Island - what was the challenge?

Terry is a beast! He'd better keep winning those immunity challenges or he'll be forced to use the idol - and I'm thinking it's a one-time use thing. So after that, he's just gotta keep on winning or he's out...

He's trying to turn the other team but looks like no one took him up on his offer this time either... I think it's pretty much a losing proposition at this point unless something drastically changes.

E

EricBess

I was actually impressed with Terry's strategy this week. At first, I was thinking, "Oh no, he went and got immunity again", but then when he came up with the plan to offer it to Danielle, I thought it was very well thought-out.

At this point, what I can't figure out is why niether Danielle or Bruce think that their tribe is likely to turn on them once the rest are gone.

The fact that Terry has now shown them he has the idol is going to cause potential problems for them...It almost affected the voting this week, but he's not going to have as much control in the future about who the idol gets kicked off...But I don't think that's his main concern yet.

The reward challenge was interesting, and they hinted at it during tribal counsil. They randomly split into 3 teams. Terry, Austin, and Shane were all on the same team.

Each team had a boat and a ton of coconuts of their color. They first had to take all of their coconuts from one end of the beach and get them to the boats at the other end of the beach. They could dump the coconuts in whatever boat they wanted to, but they couldn't get into their boat until all of their coconuts had been distributed.

Early in the challenge, Aras told Danielle, Cirie, and Courtney that he, Bruce, and Sally wouldn't dump any coconuts in their boat, so they shouldn't dump any in theirs, either. The all-guy team gave only a bit to the all-girl team, but with two other teams dumping into their boat, they ended up with the most coconuts.

The girls couldn't take as many coconuts at a time, though, so they ended up way behind and never even got all of their coconuts distributed before the challenge was over.

Once the coconuts were distributed, the teams started rowing (leaving the girls to fill up their own boat with what was left) and had to go out and around a bouy and back to the beach. At that point, it was basically neck-in-neck, but the final part was to load up a net with all of the coconuts and haul them back to the bins. Because of what Aras told the girls, he virtually guarenteed that his team was going to win. Terry, Shane, and Austin had to make 2 trips to get all the coconuts.

In the end, it was still close because Sally had to run back for the team flag and the guys had brought it with them on their first trip to the bin.

The winning team got to choose 1 person from each of the losing teams and those two would both go to Exile Island. That was interesting because it ended up splitting everyone into a group of 2, a group of 3, and a group of 4, but it didn't look like there was any strategy discussed between any of the groups.

And yeah, it's been made clear that the idol is a 1-time use, which means that unless Sally wins immunity next week, she'll almost certainly be voted out. They won't go after Terry yet now that they know he has immunity. When they do go after him the week after (unless he keeps winning, of course), they will have 2 of their group secretly vote for Bruce while everyone else votes for Terry. That way, Terry's 1 vote for Aras won't matter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm thinking that there's a lot going on that's not being shown. For instance, it's not clear if Shane was putting Terry on by telling him what the final four would be - and he didn't actually tell him, Terry made the prediction of the four and Shane just said he'd take the bet. Remember, the alliance of four is supposed to be Danielle, Courtney, Shane and Aras. NOT Cirire.

Another is that the women and men are evenly split so with Courtney's and Danielle's disgust of Shane, maybe Cirie is hoping they'd come over to her and they can convince Bruce to vote with them.

I don't understand the groups of 2, 3, and 4 you're mentioning after the reward challenge?

E

EricBess

I thought Shane was the one that listed the final four, but I would have to see it again to be sure. It was definitely those two talking and I got the impression that Shane might have been trying to feed Terry some good and some bad information. Either way, I agree that Cirie was never one of the "alliance of four". It probably was Terry that said it and I just wasn't paying enough attention because Shane has been so arrogant about always telling the truth openly, that it surprised me when it happened and if I just missed who said what, that would explain it.

It wouldn't surprise me too much to see the women make a move, but there really hasn't been any indication of that yet. Cirie has never really stood up and taken a leadership role, nor has she really shown any ability to manipulate people into thinking they came up with the idea.

The groups were:
Austin and Danielle on exile Island
Aras, Bruce, and Sally at the breakfast
Shane, Terry, Cirie and Courtney back at camp

But like I said, there didn't seem to be any strategizing going on. There was talk of Danille and Austin "bonding", but clearly nothing really came of that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the ladies might wait until Bruce is voted out so they have the numbers to turn on Aras and Shane...

I think everyone is pretty much locked into their tribes pre-merge. Austin and Danielle were miserable on the island, Aras, Bruce, and Sally just ate (and apparently it wasn't a long time either), and Terry might have spent the time trying to feel out Shane, but that's it. That's why it's kinda boring this time around. Makes sense, but not good TV :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last week's episode...

The old La Mina? tribe... whichever one Terry was one, just keeps getting diminished... I'm starting to root for Terry to keep winning immunity just to break up Casaya and see how they start voting each other off... and if he goes all the way, how the voting will go, although Casaya wil still have the numbers on the jury. Hopefully that won't come into play though and peoiple will vote for the "best person".

Not much else to say - they didn't show the results of the videos and each person got their luxury item(?) - I thought they already had luxury items... unless they got to pick another. But the show was pretty bland overall, except for Terry and Sally desperate wheeling and dealing...

E

EricBess

The first few seasons had luxury items, but at one point, they started dropping them off without anything. I don't think the last couple of seasons have had luxury items at all. This season, I'm guessing they just told them to have luxury items selected and then took them away from them until now.

Looks from the previews that they jumped the gun on the medical emergency. When they showed that before, it implied that it would be the next episode. They never made it clear it was "some time in the future". In fact, based on the previews, I almost get the impression that it won't be this week, either, but the week after. They did show Bruce having some major stomach issue or something, so that's my guess.

The fact that Casaya knows about Terry's idol could play out pretty interesting this week. Even if he doesn't win immunity, the fact that Casaya's team has never been built around trust could play in. Thing is, they don't want to let Terry choose who goes home by a 5-1 vote with Terry pulling out the idol. So, someone is going to try to construct a 3-2-1 vote. For example, everyone vote for Terry, but Aras and Shane secretly vote for Bruce. That way, when Terry pulls out the idol, Bruce leaves instead of Terry's lone vote for Aras.

However, that only works if 1) the person on the chopping block completely doesn't realize what's going on, or 2) if you blindside that person, somehow making them think that's the plan, but that its one of the others that's getting the axe.

BTW - they reshowed the scene with Terry and Shane talking about the final 4. It was definitely Shane that gave the names, but I still get the impression he was trying to mislead as to who the plans for the final 4 actually were.