Survivor: Cook Islands

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the 10/26 episode was a letdown, being a "recap", although the "New Scene" titles helped a bit, figuring out what was new and what was not.

I still laughed at Billy's thinking that he found "love" :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw Thursday's episode...

Aitu really choked on the immunity challenge at the puzzle part; they should have won... I guess Brad on the other team, despite his "I love puzzles" statement, learned from the reward challenge and went swimming in the immunity...

No real surprise that Jessica was voted off - she seemed to be the odd person out.

E

EricBess

Jessica and Johnathan have actually banded together a few times. I wouldn't have been suprized if he had been voted out, either. Johnathan doesn't inspire much confidence with the other players, but Jessica had already shown herself to be a loose cannon.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did a Survivor marathon last night and got caught up from the 11/9 show AND last night's show... :)

11/9: The "mutiny" twist was a surprise, but no surprise that Candice took it (and Jonathan followed right after, barely making it). But I thought she was tighter with the rest of the tribe (except maybe Ozzie) than from what she was saying. I'm glad Aitu crushed them in the reward and immunity challenges though - now I 'm rooting for them all the way. Ozzie is just so dominating in a water challenge!

I could see Raro's reasons for getting Brad off; he did seem a little careless with his remarks, even if they were the truth.

11/16: Again, Aitu crushed in the challenges. Poor Candice complained about being sent to Exile Island. However, the white tribe is basically sticking together, especially Adam and Candice. In the surprise second vote, Nate didn't seem to be on the same page as the rest when voting for Jonathan instead of Jenny, but that's probably nothing.

E

EricBess

I think Nate is in trouble on that tribe. It is interesting as you say that the white tribe seems to be sticking together while everyone else is trying to stick to the new tribe lines. A lot of people getting stabbed in the back on this one.

I was surprised that Jonathan wasn't voted out. He really has been pitching in hard and heavy, though, so I guess those in power don't want to lose their workhorse. Looks like based on the previews for next week that it all starts going to his head and he starts wondering why no one else is working. I still get the impression that he's the outside man, but aparently he doesn't feel that way anymore.

At this point, though, I'm hoping Raro gets to vote one more off before the merge and then Aitu manages to use the idol to get numbers. I wasn't a fan of Ozzie at first and Aitu was talking about getting him off because he was a threat, but at this point, those four are far more cohesive than anything Raro's got.

I think it's funny that Candice complains that "people you like are trying to hurt you"...I'm sure she's sincere about it, but she has to see how they feel she stabbed them in the back. After all, every other season has merged at 10, so suddently going from 6 members to 4 while the other tribe goes from 4 to 8 has to feel like an automatic loss.

Oh - and we've noticed the same thing about Ozzie...put him in the water and their nearly guarenteed to get a head start.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, depending on what reasons the others give Nate, he could potentially start looking around for other allies like Jonathan or stay with the original Raro alliance + Candice. But if Candice and Adam are hooking up, based on past Survivors, Amber & Rob excepting, people tend to break up couples 'cause that's an automatic two votes against someone right there.

Yeah, I hope Aitu gets the numbers going into the merge, 'cause they're gonna get picked off otherwise. Ozzie first (unless he gets individual immunity). It appears that from the previews, the one guys shares his secret about having the Exile Island immunity idol so that might help them in the merge too... if they all stay loyal to each other and not mess things up.

E

EricBess

Warning...If you haven't watched it yet, don't read this. The tribal counsil could have gone so many different ways that they didn't show what anyone wrote. Usually they show one or two, but in this case, there weren't any that were even close to obvious. I could give an argument for just about anyone's vote easily being someone other than it was.

Unity had definitely paid off and looks like it will continue to pay off. Johnathan is going to be hard to predict in the long run. To be fair, Raro had 3 chances to vote him off. Everyone on both teams have said they don't trust him, but from the beginning he's been more than willing to go with whoever he thinks will take him further.

He goes much further and what Yul said about someone wanting to take him all the way might kick in. Although I get the impression that Aitu at this point would rather see their loyalty take all 4 of them to the final 4 than to bring in a ringer. Time has a way of changing things, but they've been through a lot and I'd be hard-pressed to think they would turn on each other before they were forced to.

Yul took a huge chance showing the idol to Johnathan. In the scene where they were asking about Yul and the idol, Johnathan could have just as easily said, "he's got it. I've seen it." and convinced all 5 to vote off Becky instead.

Overall, I'm glad it went the way it did. Unless something unusual happens, the next few votes should be fairly predictable. Next week's could potentially end in a tie, but Johnathan is already mistrusted by everyone, so I can't imagine him thinking that would be a good idea.

Johnathan is really kind of funny because he thinks things through, but never seems to be able to figure out how he will be personally interpreted.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, although I think Yul is an honorable guy, him saying to Jonathan that he'd like both of them to make the final 2 seems to go at odds with his alliance with Becky. I'll have to see how THAT works out :)

In the meantime, I'm glad Aitu got the upper hand in the tribe and in council and hopefully the rest of Raro aka the white tribe gets voted off. The one thing I'm not sure about is why they voted for Nate; I thought they should have voted for Adam and break up the couple (which seemed to turned into a triple on the episode) block. But if they get voted off one by one anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, no water challenge so Ozzie didn't get immunity. But I guess he didn't need it...

I find it amusing that the 3 "Raro" (Adam, Candice, and Pav) are complaining NOW that they're on the outs. And when they had the majority, they didn't do anything but when they're in the minority, they STILL don't do anything. Yet this time, they complain about it. Personally, I don't feel they should have been told that a meal's ready if they're not doing anything.

Too bad Adam won immunity, he probably should have gone. But Candice was next anyway... wonder if they've stayed together after that kiss... guess we'll find out in the reunion show.

E

EricBess

Yep, I agree. I was thinking, "what if Adam just keeps winning", or "what if Johnathan starts winning". But as soon as you realize that there could be a water (or even many endurance) challenge, Ozzy's a shoe-in.

I got the impression that it was completely Johnathan that decided he didn't want to share the food, but everyone else quickly agreed. I thought it was very appropriate also. Raro is clearly still acting like their own tribe, so why shouldn't they still have to live like they are their own tribe also.

It's funny. No one trusts Johnathan, but the one thing to his credit is that he's always stepped up and done way more than his share of the work. He's gotten cocky about it a couple of times, and the sharing the meal is an example. Much of it is that he seems to feel like he's safer than he probably is.

My one concern from last episode was when Yul told Becky that the other people saw him as the ringleader and that he was considering voting off Johnathan to try to get their votes in the final. I can't help but wonder how Becky took that, but she did seem just a bit shocked that he would say something like that. I doubt it will be enough to shake things up.

It never ceases to amaze me in this show how arrogant people can be when they are on top and how suddenly "wronged" they are when the tables turn. Raro had how many chances to vote off Johnathan? They knew he couldn't be trusted, yet they kept him around. Probably got too used to letting him do all the work... They have no one to blame but themselves at this point.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I noticed that thing about Yul and Becky too and how Yul seems awfully sure that's he's in the final 2. Maybe we'll see more of what resulted from that :)

E

EricBess

Yep...I'd say final 4 is pretty sure. I don't remember if the idol can be used after that but, if so, then final 3 is also pretty sure just because of the idol. I've gotten the impression in the past that Yul and Becky were planning on taking each other to the final 2 (which often seems to get changed when it comes right down to it), but now that Yul has said that, it might come back to haunt him if Becky ends up in any sort of decision-making position.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The idol is good up to the final 3 vote, so if he makes it to the final four, he'd have it.

The problem is, everyone now knows he has it, so someone could try to make a power play and force it out, sacrificing someone (the second highest votes). But unless Yul wins individual immunity after that, he would be gone...

So yeah, I hope it doesn't come back to bite him. He seems like a good guy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought of something else from last week: Weird how people seemed hesitant on bidding for the items in the auction. I mean, here's your chance to get food, you don't know when it's going to end, why wouldn't you bid for every item? Jonathan made out like a bandit as he had the right mindset and apparently people were waiting for... I have no idea.

E

EricBess

Nothing too surprising this week. Swimming challenge and Ozzie dominated, big surprise...

I was a bit surprised that Johnathan was voted out, just because Adam is a bigger threat when it comes to challenges. I understand wanting to get rid of Johnathan because of how anoying he is and what he does to the overall feel of the tribe, but I think I would have waited once more first, just to be safe.

It could be that they are trying to play it ethically, getting rid of the person that doesn't deserve to be there first. The other problem is that if either Adam or Pavarti ends up making it to the final two, they are more likely to win based on well over half the jury being from their old tribe. Of course, the tribe might be upset at them being booted off while Johnathan and Candice were kept around, but they don't really even know the other people... The longer they are kept around, the more chance they will be able to play mind games to change their situation. Based on the previews from next week, looks like they are off to a good start, but that could just be to keep suspense, too.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree on all counts. Ozzie comes through like the fish he is!

And I think they should have waited to rid Jonathan off also and that from the previews, Adam & Pav's mind game might be working. I wonder how Jonathan will vote since he really turned against both tribes or rather, both tribes turned against him. He was the pivotal vote in keeping Raro around when they first merged so he may go against a member there, if one makes it to the final 2...

E

EricBess

I think Johnathan feels more comfortable with the Aitu people than the Raro people. Even when he's felt Aitu would turn against him, he's talked about how the Raro people are "getting to them"...

The real question is whether the old Raros would vote for someone they don't really know just because they were stabbed in the back when Johnathan was around...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think his stepping out with Candice was a spur of a moment thing because he didn't expect her to do it and she was part of the "original" alliance with him and he didn't want to break it up at that point. But he probably realized he should have stayed.

It depends how they all feel after 10 more days, with time to think about it, and how they judge the people playing the game to begin with, based on personal feelings and treachery or if they do understand his position at the time and how he had to vote. We'll have to see. :)

Just saw this

Definitely throws a twist in the expectations now... no wonder they started the jury early. And I still think they said that the Exile Island immunity idol can be used through the final 4, so if Yul gets there, he's in...

E

EricBess

Interesting. I was just talking to a friend at work and pointed that out as a possibility. During the finale of The Amazing Race, the advertised that the finale of Survivor was next Sunday, so we were trying to figure out how that worked with six people still. Usually, the finale doesn't start until they are down to the final four.

He gives away more than I wish he would with the interview. The fact that two people are happy with the decision and two are upset make me wonder if Adam and Parvarti manage to get to the end. So, whoever's left of Aitu will need to try to split the Raro vote if that happens and they want a chance to win... Certainly there might be more going on and tomorrow will be be pretty revealing.