Star Wars vs Star Trek

K

K1

Which one is better? Mwhahahaha! :)

credit to SeekerofTruth

K1

PS. Anyone remember that star wars episode 1 thread when the dojo boards first went up? Woo!

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I think Star Trek is better. It's so much more complicated than Star Wars. The technology also seems much more sophisticated. What's more is that Star Trek is set in this universe and has POTIENTIAL to become science fact.
Examples Star Trek is better.

Phaser: Phased energy. Sounds a lot more complicated then laser, doesn't it.

Better shields: The shields in Star Trek are far more advanced then those in Star Wars. Shields have modulations and are multi-phasic....

Quote from Star Trek:
"Lasers wouldn't even penetrate the Navigational Deflecter."

Way Faster ships.

H

Hawaiian mage

Actually a Phaser is a coherent beam of Photons. Just like how a laser is a coherent beam of light and a maser is coherent microwaves(really!)

Star Trek is better. I have only seen like 5 epesodes but it makes more sense then starwars. In starwars half of the species are humans. And then there's only 1 of everything else. I'm exagerateing of course but still, you know what I mean.

G

garfobo

Star Wars kiks Star Treks ass. I think it has a better plot, and doesnt rely on Aliens and technology for a good storyline! I like the characters better!

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Trekker all the way here. Lets see, its in a galaxey far far away, yet there are humans? that almost makes sense. Also treck has a much better, more complicated story. any bob off the street can pick up on star wars, but in order to really follow all the history on trek you need no life but a huge brain.

Also, our weapons are better. your death star couldn't even take out an obeath class ship. HA. BTW i play a trek RPG with some friends of mine. SW better the ST. HA HA HA!

G

garfobo

Well, sorry, i dont really like having to pay a lot of attention, i dont like TV, watching movies and reading books is so much easier, and no im not a moron, im quite intellectual if i say so my self!

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

when did i call you a moron. i said any more, not that every1 who watches it is a moron. and also when did reading a book get easier that watching tv? tv has a picture and you don't need to read.

T

theorgg

Star Wars? Star Trek?

Faugh!

Give me Krull anyday(note: Krull, not kull)
same time frame, better stuff.

It was all just fantacy.......
no matter how he tried he could not break free.
and the ...
ate into his brain......

A

Apollo

I personally prefer Star Wars. I happen to like it because there is more action, and "having no life" is not a requirement to follow the story. Plus, the aliens look cooler; it's not a human with funny-colored stuff on his face. "Any Bob off the street" can follow Star Wars; that's one of the advantages in my opinion. In Star Wars, half the characters are humans; in Star Trek all of the characters look like humans with makeup or a fancy hat. I think the major difference is complexity. If a person prefers 2 hours of excitement and a fairly basic storyline, they like Star Wars. If you can catch every episode of Star Trek, it's more complex and probably more interesting. But if you miss a couple episodes, or start watching in the middle, you're lost. It's just a matter of personal taste.

And both series are ridiculous. Neither has the potential to become science fact. :)

Apollo

A

Apollo

Um, actually, you called him a moron right at the top in the subject.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

As far as trek goes, we are almost there with some of the medical tech. Also, no SW fan said how humans got all the way out there.

And not all the aliens look like humans. In the different series there are many species that don't look human. If you watch Voyager, species 8472 looks nothing like a human. Or the ankari from equinox look like giant catapillars.

Just saying that you guys are wrong thats all.

G

Griffith_se

Orgg, I liked Krull too. BTW I've seen threads on Fav. films, and was surprised that no one picked Dune. Excellent sieres of books, and a pretty good movie I thought. Star wars-Star Trek, Neither have the technology to fold space.

F

Fire Slinger

I like Babaylon 5. I used to watch it all the time, and then they took it off of network and stuck it in cable, so I dont get to watch it anymore. Also, I dont watch Tv very much. Books are a lot better. Has anybody ever read Jurassic Park and then watched the movie? Compared to the book, the movie sucks. Right now I'm reading Silence of the Lambs. Plan on watching the movie when I'm finished.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Pie-eater, that was uncalled for! :D
To sad thing is...Pie-eater's right.
Like I previously posted, laser can't even penetrate shields.

Note: An Obereth is an unarmmed science vessel. :D

Fire Slinger: I wholeheartly agree with you, although I did in reverse. Still, the book's better than the movie.

[Edited by Multani on July 14th, 2000 at 11:41 PM]

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

I never out-right said that he was a moron. also i'm getting this feeling like this will go to far and i will make an ass of myself. i'm resigning from this post with these final things to say.

1st: I'm sorry if i made any1 feel bad/angry. this is just a board.

2nd: trek is better.

3rd: I don't want to be a bad guy so i will say that star wars is a good set of films i just feel i doesn't match trek in many catagories.

Goodnigh, and goodbye which is better trek or wars.

U

Ura

I like them both.
But I'll have to go with Star Trek cause I'm a tech nut. The action is great in Star Wars but if Star Trek ever does big action (the opening battle of First Contact for one) its much better I think.

Star Wars has a more adventure like feel, like a well done RPG.
Star Trek has a much more indepth "human interest" feel, with good morals in its stories.
both are good, just depends on what you want in the moment.

Star Wars has cooler aliens.
Star Trek has WAY better technology.
I like tech more than aliens, but they're both neat to see.

and on a side note. The Oberth class science vessel is equiped with a pair of small class 3 ship based phazer arrays, but has no dedicated torpedo launchers. However both photon and quantum torpedos can be fired from its probe launch bays after a couple quick adjustments. The oberth also has minimal shields and can defend itself long enough to jump to warp and run away or send a distress signal.
However in a stand up fight, its almost as tough as a runabout, probably about equal.

C

Chaos Turtle

"Uh-oh. Y'all be talkin' smack about Star Wars an' sh**. Dat sh** ain't goin' over."

Okay, whoever has the idea that Star Trek has the "potential to become science fact" is seriously misinformed. Some of the ideas on Star Trek (in the old series, at least) such as wireless communicators and medical diagnostic beds, have come into being, but the science behind the show is a fictional as it gets.

Warp drive? No. Sorry. The entire basis of travel on the show breaks one of the fundemental facts of the universe, which is that light speed is as fast as it gets. Now everyone knows that - even at light speed - it's going to take a really long time just to get to the nearest star, to say nothing of the nearest star with a planetary system, at least one of which supports intelligent and technologically sophisticated inhabitants.
So we need to "faster than light!" Guess what. You can't. So Star Trek Creator invented the idea of a Warp Bubble, which would protect a ship from destruction (presumably from the wrath of a Universe which really hates have its laws defied, or from an inverse time dilation, or something) as it magically slips into an imaginary cosmic jet-stream.

Now, there are some valid scientific theories that could "theoretically" get around the problem of being limited to light speed. One of these involves the idea that space is not uniform, but that it folds and twists, causing some places, which are far apart in our three-dimensional perspective, to actually be quite close together (relatively speaking) in another dimensional perspective. If one could somehow travel through that other kind of space, he could find himself traversing immense distances in a comparatively short time.
Some scientists call this strange space, "hyperspace." Sound familar?

So whatever reasons you have for picking one of these over the other, don't think of using scientific viability as one of them. (I mean, c'mon... lightsabers?) ;)

By the way, I totally dig Star Trek. Janeway's my mom.

Why even compare the two? Star Trek is science fiction, whereas Star Wars is technological fantasy. It's like comparing peaches and nectarines. :p

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Wait wait wait, who said the tech for Star trek is more possible. I simply said that some of our medical tech. isn't that far from Star Trek, which ironicly it isn't. while we don't have EMH's or tricorder we do have laser scalpels(huge mind you but we're workin ok), diagnostic beds(mentioned earlier), and a host of other medical stuff. I'm just saying this for clarifacation because i don't like being misquoted.

Also turtle, i need to know, which is your favorite trek series?

C

Chaos Turtle

I nevah, evah, misquote... except for that one time on Dojo Forums... :)

Favorite Trek series... hmmm...
Well, I just don't know.
[*]Classic Trek started it all (sort of, if you don't count the 'original' pilot).
[*]TNG is the classic modern series, and is the most like "real" Trek.
[*]DS9 is the best as far as storyline and acting go. Very sophisticated show, for a sci-fi series.
[*]Voyager is not all it could be, but it does have Janeway, who is my mom.

So, for overall score, I'd have to go with Deep Space Nine.

A

arhar

Um... Star Trek? Or Star Wars?

I like Magic!!!!

Personally, I never liked the sci-fi stuff.

Elves, wizards, ogres, goblins, magic, swords, and fantasy stuff all the way!!!!!!!!!!

Long Live Magic!!!

Don't mean to offend all the sci-fi lovers, just stating my opinion.