Star Wars vs Star Trek

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Man, you guys, esp. The Pie-Eater, are taking this WAY too seriously! People, mellow out fer Chrissakes!

I thought Apollo's post said it all. If you've got the time, Trek on! If you don't, Star Wars is GREAT!.

It's as simple as that.

BTW, my current fav Sci-Fi series is Stargate. I know the tech is improbable, but how many other series started out by confronting an ancient God and blowing his mad, sorry a$$ to dust? That scene was great! :D

Killer Joe

In my opinion, Star Trek is better as a TV series and Star Wars is better as a cinamatic event. Also, Star Trek has better and more believable "Tech", and here's why; Rick Berman et al have had way more time to develop idea's than George Lucas and Co. That's not an opinion but a circumstantial fact, look at it like this; there were four Star Wars Movies (SW, ESB, RotJ and episode I) and there were 3 years of the original Star Trek and like 7 movies, seven years and 2 movies of ST:TNG, four to five years of ST:DS9, and five years of ST:Voyager.
This is overwelming evidence that more time and effort was spent on making Star Trek more appealing and believable to the general public AND it's deeply embedded into our culture, references to Star Trek have been around a lot longer too, who hasn't heard all their life the line that was never spoken but used a thousand times by us: "Scotty, beam me up."
The question should really be re-phrased to get a more accurate response, here's my question:

"Which science fiction storyline do you enjoy more, Star Trek, Star Wars or something else?"

G

garfobo

Go TomB, we all need to chill out, it isnt that big of a subject, and pie eater u called me a moron at the top of your heading. Man, read what u write!

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

No, i asked you IF you are a moron. as i said in another post, that is IMPLYING that you are, but not outright saying that you are. so ha!

C

Cateran Overlord

Simply put, I'd say Star Wars is better than all of the ST series with th exception of DS9. Why was DS9 the best for me? Several reasons:

1. No Borg - Okay, maybe they were cool for the first several times, but I'm so damn sick of them it's not even funny. Voyager keeps magically going back into borg space God only knows how, but I'd really like to go back to fighting somebody, ANYBODY else. The Cardassians, and later the Jem'Hadar were much more interesting villians.

2. Not quite so many damn holodeck episodes - Anyone here remember Fair Haven? Anyone else wish they'd instead done something interesting with that hour (wait, they had another hour there!)

3. The Dominion War - This is really the one time Trek was more interesting to watch than Star Wars. Unlike those boring as heck fights with the Borg, here we have Star Trek taking what Star Wars does best and doing it better! The Federation actually stood up for themselves for once as opposed to negotiating their way out of things and giving in.

4. Ferengi! - Those guys were awesome! Some good mercenary type capitalists as opposed to TNG and Voyager with annoying communist tones everywhere. I like gold pressed latinum!

5. Worf and the Klingons - Still my favorite holodeck episode (in fact the only one I like) is the baseball simulation. Worf lines were some of the funniest things ever on any series:
"We will destroy them!"
"Find him and kill him!" (said when a runner failed touch home)

As for the rest of the seres though, I'd rather go watch Star Wars. The only reason I watch Voyager is for the Doctor, who acts nothing like a computer program but I really don't care, he's the best character.

No offense to your mom CT :)

A

Apollo

Okay, I exaggerated; most of Trek's aliens look like humans, not all. And who knows or cares how humans got out there? There are tons of things in both series that are unbelievable (I mean, people are moving things with their minds and flying faster than light and you're complaining about this?). Maybe they just evolved similarly. But everyone needs to calm down. Nobody needs to get angry just cause someone has a different opinion. It's just a matter of taste.

Apollo

D

Duel

Okay, IMHO, I like trek better. More intellectual, less "Boom boom!" "Get 'im?" "Got 'im" "Good, now blow 'im up!"

BUT, in a 1 on 1 war, Star wars wins for one reason. The empire could produce over 50 super star destroyers a day. The federation takes months to get one galaxy-class ship working. See?

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Yes, the empire can make all those ships, but they would do nothing because the deflector dish on any UFP ship protects it from lasers.

Thats why i said earlier that one Obearth could take on the Death Star and win, simply because a big gun is nothing if it doesn't hurt.

BTW since the masses seem to like trek more, i'm interested in knowing:

WHAT IS EVERYONE'S FAVORITE SHIP FROM THEIR FAV. OF THE 2.
mine is a Nova class science ship. Thats what I command in my friend's RPG. That, and any1 who has seen equinox knows how cool they look.:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I like Star Wars, mainly because I've seen it and not any Star Trek (great reason, eh? :))

But actually, it's hard to explain, but Star Trek just doesn't strike a vibe in me where Star Wars seems just... more interesting. Again, it's hard to explain, just a feeling I have.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Definitely Soverign Class
with
Defiant coming in at a close 2nd.
It's seems that the one's with quantum torpedoes always wins... :D

Killer Joe

(please read this in a Chicago accent wave your hands around)
Okay, who would win in a fight: Darth Vader or James T. Kirk? <slurp beer and wipe mouth> or, to make it more fair, how about a mini-Kirk vs Darth Vader? <lean and fart> or what about a mini-Death Star vs the Enterprise? I know, I know, how about da Bears vs a mini-Imperial Guard, huh?

B

Baron Sengir

Star Wars has always seemed the more fun universe to me. The Federation Ships are all too damn clean and spotless, even after all those battles they get into. Star Wars is a 'lived in' universe.

I also like the fact that Star Wars doesn't explain everything. There's no need to. When Han needs Chewie to jam the transmissions of a Tie Fighter, all he says is "Chewie, jam its transmissions." In Trek the Captain would have asked someone to engage the whatsis at .38 degrees to negate their communications device. I'm not up on all the Trek equipment so excuse my ignorance in that aspect. :)

Plus, the aliens are cooler in Star Wars. There are only 2 aliens in the original trilogy that speak english. That has always been a sticking point against Trek to me. Everyone speaks English. Plus, as far as special effects go, let's put Star Trek's coolest looking aliens, the Jem Hadar, against Return of the Jedi's Jabba the Hutt. Star Wars aliens make Trek aliens look like they cost $1.95 to make.

And as my final argument, look at sidekicks. Which would you rather have by your side in a fight: Wm. Riker or Chewbacca?

I remain
The Baron
"And no, the Enterprise couldn't beam Proton Torpedoes aboard the bridge of a Star Destroyer. The Star Destroyer would have to lower its shields first ..."

F

FoundationOfRancor

YOu raise a couple good points there Baron, I guess I have to say that I like both of them equally, there both great series (Ecluding voyager)

A

Apollo

As for the above fights, I have one victor:

Ditka.

He'd beat the Hurricane, too, unless it was Hurricane Ditka.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

To answer why everyone speaks english in Trek, I have 2 words: Universal Translator.
The Jem'Hadar would make short work of Jabba.
The Enterprise wouldn't need to beam a torpedo through. She could just blast through the shields and take out the bridge with phasers. :D

Riker's an a**hole, granted, but Spock could probably get a nerve pinch to Chewie.

A

Apollo

The point was that Jabba looked much cooler. He might lose in a fight, but for overall effect, he's cooler. The Star Wars characters might lose in a fight, but they'd look much better doing it. Like Baron said: it's got a "lived in" look. The Falcon is dirty, they hang out at an ugly cantina, there are a bunch of scruffy-looking characters as opposed to the immaculate Star Trek characters.

And I refuse to degenerate any more into old SNL gags ;)

C

Cateran Overlord

No offense, but I consider the universal translator to be an excuse so that they don't have to think of an alien language. At least the Klingons have their own language spoken!

M

Mikeymike

Reason: I grew up on the trilogy, and I think everyone else who did dreamed of walking in the shoes of Luke Skywalker and/or Han Solo. It was an adventure and a fantasy-romance at the same time.

Star Trek I could never get into until recently. I enjoyed TNG and now love the originals (William Shattner, the great caricature of a Space Captain, damn he's unintentionally funny). Also, I'll catch an episode of Voyager every now and again, but I'm sure you can imagine why *cough* 7 *cough* of 9.

One thing that really gets to me about Star Trek is that its impressive technology is based VERY loosely on scientific theory. Considering when anything scientific rears its head I pretty much shut off the outside world, this bothers me. The reason it bothers me is because I want to know why.
Its like the writers get one small fact from the Scientific Journal and write an entire plotline or transport device of some sort around it, their focus is on something non-existant if not impossible.
Star Wars never tried to do this, their focus was on the journey and growth of their characters. It feels as Ura said
...like a well done RPG.
I already know that many of you disagree, I guess that's why they call it an opinion. However, I'll take Contact over both anyday, now that is a brain-tickler. I watch it at least once a year. Thank you Carl Sagan.