Selecting 8th: Of Moons and Miners

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Maybe if we'd voted Miner they wouldn't have switched formats... Oh well.

N

Notepad

>> Maybe if we'd voted Miner they wouldn't have switched formats... Oh well.

I wonder if they would have used the dwarf to showcase the new card face the way they did with Worship. It would have looked nowhere near as good as Blood Moon did, I'll tell ya that!

N

Notepad

So you would've wanted to see the dwarf as the "Here's how cool 8E will look!" articles?

It would have hurt their cause...but would have been better off to back up the community backlash.

Poor little dwarf, the obsolete red creature type. At least Balthor was pretty neat. Too bad they didn't print a third ghost version of him in Scourge...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, actually, I don't know if it should have been used to showcase 8th's look. All I'm saying is that it can't look too bad.

I think the dwarf type comes in goes. It had a good run in the Odyssey block, so maybe it'll come back again. Balthor should have been a dwarf type, not Barbarian; there's nothing out there for a "dwarf lord/king"...

N

Notepad

The dwarves in OTJ block were part of that whole "alternate creatures" theme. But the funny thing is dwarves appeared spotting here and there.

Fallen Empires would have been such a great place for good dwarf tribal cards...and the opportunity was squandered.

But eh, I like playing with Goblins much more. Dey is dah red critterz uv choise :p

T

train

Actually I think more dwarves should be printed... all with mountainwalk, and can't be targetted by spells, but can be by abilities...

"Dwarfs - The Mountain Kingdom is their home... and they believe not in Magic..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that would probably be the King/Lord's ability - "all dwarfs get +1/+1 and mountainwalk". Or just "+2/+2" without the mountainwalk ability.

Not sure about being untargetable though, doesn't really seem in flavor.

T

train

and they believe not in Magic
I'm thinking along the lines of D&D and how they have a high magic resistance...

but I guess in Magic that's more of green's "natural" theme...

N

Notepad

That could be handled more as "Protection from Blue" or even "Protection from Sorceries and Instants" as there is "Protection from Creatures" out there. Pro spells would be fun, but maybe confusing as where abilities fit in. So, pro blue would be better. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I'm for dwarves and all, but that might make them too powerful. I'm just trying to work in the framework that WOTC and Magic already has for them... at best I could see some Lord/Champion giving target dwarf pro: goblin or orc type of thing.

I understand about the D&D thing, but probably don't want to tie it too closely to it. Otherwise, they'd probably bring down the casting cost of artifacts or something :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't, but again, trying to think in the framework already set for them and trying to keep them balanced and useful. Really, right now just a King/Lord is needed :)

T

train

I think dwarves also need the following:

Choose one: Sacrifice a dwarf, destroy X target artifacts where X is the number of dwarves in play; Sacrifice a dwarf and a land, pay 2 life, all goblins get -1/-1 until end of turn.; Until End of Turn you may tap a dwarf you control, to give target dwarf +1/+1, and protection from goblins and orcs until end of turn.

Dwarven Arena: Dwarven Arena comes into play tapped. T: Sacrifice a dwarf and a land: All Dwarves get +2/+0 and protection from Red until end of turn.

Forged Battle Axe - Equipment - whenever a dwarf comes into play, if Forged battle Axe is in your library or graveyard you may put it into play enchanting that dwarf.
-Enchanted dwarf has double strike.
RRR1 - Enchanted dwarf gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Forged Helm - Equipment- whenever a dwarf comes into play, if Forged Helm is in your library or graveyard you may put it into play enchanting that dwarf.
- Enchanted Dwarf gets +0/+1
RRR1 - prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to enchanted dwarf.

Forged Mail - Equipment - whenever a dwarf comes into play, if Forged Mail is in your library or graveyard you may put it into play enchanting that dwarf.
- Enchanted Dwarf gets +0/+3, and can't attack.
RRR1 - enchanted dwarf gets +1/+4 and can block any number of creatures.

Ferret

Staff member
Question: Why do Dwarves need ANYTHING? I've always considered them to be more of a joke for Red than Goblins were. They've always gotten minimal attention (except for Fallen Empires and Homelands) and if Red ever needed another race of creatures they can always fall back on Barbarians.

-Ferret

"leave those annoying shrimps out of the game!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just personal preference. Although they are more viable due to the Odyssey block.

But each color does have its primary "tribe" and for red, goblins is it. Although Barbarians is a terrible second choice. There's a lot of "tribes" out there that aren't the main yet well supported: look at Squirrels. Or Saprolings.

T

train

It was merfolk for blue...

Is it going to be birds for blue now?...

black - zombies
red - goblins
white - soldiers
green - elves
blue - ?...

Actually I kind of like the question mark for blue...;)

E

EricBess

Actually, they have said what the blue "signature" creature type is. I don't have the link, but it's wizard. I see this as just a final admission that the "Wizards of the Coast" really do favor blue, as we've all been saying all along :D

T

train

I remember the article about the fugitive wizard replacing the merfolk if that's what you're talking about...

I just didn't picture wizards running rampant like the other races...;)

E

EricBess

It might have been in the same article, but the one I read definitely said that "wizard" was the new signature race for blue.

Besides, there are occasional overlaps into other colors (black goblins, for example), but birds are very prominantly a white creature type as well as blue.