Selecting 8th: Of Moons and Miners

A

Apollo

Where's the love for Orcs? :(

BTW, someone run by me what exactly happened to Merfolk--I must have missed it.

E

EricBess

WotC decided that it didn't make sense for creatures that dwell only in water to be participating in a primarily land-based duel. For example, does it really make sense for a Shark to be fighting a Giant Spider?

So, since Merfolk dwell only in water, they needed to go.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by EricBess
WotC decided that it didn't make sense for creatures that dwell only in water to be participating in a primarily land-based duel. For example, does it really make sense for a Shark to be fighting a Giant Spider?

So, since Merfolk dwell only in water, they needed to go.
Hmmm...this is true. - Of course, there's a Merfolk Elf that can FLY?!?!?!?!

A concept I miss is Islandhome. I think this was a mechanic that worked well w/ Blue. They were semi-cheap but required you to have Islands for them to be in play (Tsunami anyone?) and Islands for your opponent if they ever want to attack (and Blue has lots of ways of changing land types). I think it would be neat if they brough back Islandhome, but also bring other Basic Land Home cards. You could bring back that ape from Ice Age that had Foresthome. You could have aligators that have Swamphome, really big goats w/ Mountainhome, and something that could only live in the plains for Plainshome...

-Ferret

"How about 4/4 Prairie Dogs?"

C

Chaos Turtle

I wonder if a "Wizard Lord" is on R&D's 9th-edition wish list? If so, we're sure to see one pretty soon, eh...?

A

Apollo

Well, that's stupid. I don't care what they're fighting this battle on, merfolk are about as basic a fantasy creature as you can get, and they need to be in Magic.

Plus they're darn cool. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That actually is kind of a dopey reasoning. I mean, does this mean no more sea creatures at all, except those that might be "amphibious" or can get on land, like Giant Crabs? I mean, blue[/i] is the arena of water (and Mark Rosewater re-affirmed that in his Monday article about blue's color wheel scheme).

I actually never did like Islandhome, though maybe I should build a deck around it, just for kicks in my MP group :)

T

train

I wasn't fond of landhomes... but huge creatures with landhome were nice - though most were blue...

I like the walks personally...

Look - my creature has everything-landwalk...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just remember the Giant Slug card from The Dark that gave itself any-walk for 5 mana... a wee little 1/1 creature (admittedly, it could grow big, but back then it was just Giant Growth or Unstable Mutation).

T

train

The slug was actually in one of my decks...

I ran hatred with him...;)

C

Chaos Turtle

I suppose we'll never see another Cephalid either, huh. I kinda liked fish (including merfolk and cephalids and other water-dwelling critters).

Since when did Magic make sense?