Selecting 8th: Of Moons and Miners

P

Purple_jester

The next vote for 8th Edition is unique. Both of them hose basic lands. And both are red. Hmm... Do I see a push for mono-red sligh here? Anyways, we get to pick between Blood Moon, which serves as a weaker Back-to-Basics by transforming your multilands into mountains, or Dwarven Miner, capable of detonating any non-basic land by mining it for all its resources.

My vote goes to the miner. I was never comfortable with red enchantments, and land destruction is something that red has always excelled in.

As for the art vote, the beast from Phyrexia lives on, as we ge to select which Mark Tedin art goes into 8th. I'm at a coin toss on this one. I'll have to look at the art more carefully to decide which I like better.

Regarding flavor text, we get to contribute to the Verduran Enchantress. Perhaps something elegant will be in order? I'd like to have something to fit the art.

What do you guys think?

E

EricBess

I like the newer artwork on this one, myself.

As far as the Miner/Moon situation, I guess it depends on what you want to hose. The miner is a creature and suffers the same drawbacks as all creatures. As such, it is weaker against red and black then the enchantment.

The Moon is an enchantment, so you aren't hurting white or green as much as the other colors. And you're not hurting red at all.

I don't know. I just think Back to Basics is so much better than either of these. The Miner at least gets rid of the land for good instead of just converting it to colorless (or even the color they need).

I don't know. I just think the Miner is more likely to see sideboard play than the Moon.

J

Jigglypuff

Wow, this one could be really close. I used to play Three Deuce a lot and I really like the Miner, but I could see the Moon seeing some play. If I had to pick (which I do), I'd go with Miner, simply because of all the good memories of him kicking butt in Three Deuce.

(- Steve -)

I

Istanbul

Dwarven Miner. No-brainer.

Verduran Enchantress:
"Where the plants of the forest bear food for the body, the verdant beauty of her songs are like food for the soul."

F

FoundationOfRancor

Im voting for Blood Moon...for 4 reasons.

1) Blood Moon is unique
2) Has a really cool picture
3) I like global effects better
4) The Miner seems to slow to me

N

Notepad

Blood Moon all the way! Rocks the living crap out of those lame control decks. ;) Very good in Type I, also. In fact, if its printed then that is very good for Type I players.

Artwork: The older one wins out! Looks better.

Flavor...hmm, don't have any good ideas right now.

I

Istanbul

Oh, I almost forgot.

Older artwork looks like some guy who's actually Stealing an Artifact.
Newer artwork looks like a girl running down a hall.

No contest. Older artwork wins.

R

rkoelsch

I just want to say I am glad that Worship won. and I was going to just vote for Blood moon because I always liked playing with blood moon. But I thought I would wait and see what others thought. I really hadn't thought anyone would want the miner so I may have to reconsider my choice. But I think I will vote Blood Moon. Being a white player it is no threat to me. I like the newer art for the Colossus.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I'd go for Blood Moon. Sure, it's a sideboard card, but it's much more useful than the slow Miner.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'd go with the Miner, cause he likes wookies. Blood is so......nectariney.

*Everyone looks at Ransac and rolls their eys back.*

Dang, I've lost them again.

Ransac, cpa trash man

S

Sammy Dead-O

I went with the old art (though I like both a lot) and with the Miner. I've really liked the little guy ever since I got my hands on a few. I guess I don't look at things from a sideboard perspective as much as a flexibility perspective. I just like the idea of having an ability like his (or the Lyrists', or the sex monkey's, or Gorilla Shaman's, etc.) that come in the form of a creature that can always be a warm body if necessary.

C

Chaos Turtle

I think Blood Moon would be too harsh on multicolor decks. Its very presence would discourage use of multilands (except perhaps in base red decks) causing mana bases to either suffer or be cut back to near monocolor.

I guess this choice means we won't be seeing Dust Bowl again.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, another toughie. I haven't used either alot, so personal preference won't make much of a difference here. I guess I say Blood Moon because of it's global effect and it is faster than the Miner, who's susceptible to creature effects.

I

Istanbul

Of course, I'd rather see Price of Progress.

But them's the breaks.

T

train

Blood moon....

Wouldn't it feel good to moon someone in the middle of game.

And by the way, with all base sets now having non-basic lands - blood moon could seriousy rule:

It doesn't tie up your mana, you don't have to tap, it's a blanket-global effect, and it beats the tar out of blue....

miner gets aether bursted or countered, they have to counter the moon...

N

Notepad

with all base sets now having non-basic lands
I think train brought up a good point there. If there are so many nonbasics thus making them a strategy, there needs to be a hoser that stops that strategy. Its that way for every strategy in the game: Something messes with it to make for an overall rock-paper-scissors. So a nonbasic hoser as strong as Blood Moon is needed.

I

Istanbul

Obliterate won. Good.
7E art for Steal Artifact won. Bah, I say. And bah again.

N

Notepad

It will be funny to see how Bad Moon causes newbies to ask a lot of questions concerning the new lands coming up in Mirrodin, since they should be having basic land types.

But Glissa's Nude Beach says it is an Island. That means its a basic land. Man! You're an idiot if you think I'm gonna let you turn it into a mountain.

Huh?

*one week later*

Dear Saturday School......

T

train

The following is a complete joke - and not anything I'd expect Rune to say -not in public anyway... ;):p

RE: Dear Sat. School..

Your a newbie, shut yer trap, and get used to pro-wanna-bes screwing you over...