Selecting 10th Edition

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Third Round

Paladin En-Vec wins, 51.5% - 48.5%

This week's choice is between three green fatties:

Erhnam Djinn, Ravenous Baloth, & Troll Ascetic

In comparison with the other two, Erhnam seems kinda lame now. Yeah, he's bigger for less and he really doesn't have a drawback. BUT, few cards can do what the Baloth is capable of and the Troll Ascetic is a good second turn (acceleration) drop. My vote goes to the Baloth, since it was so dominant and during it's time.

Also, we are voting on land from the Invasion block this week. Stephen Martiniere and Richard Wright swept the Ravinca block lands.

My choices for Invasion land?:
Plains - D.J. Cleland-Hura (IN my opinion, the best art for plains ever drawn. There was a time when I would only use this art as my plains..... and yes, I did trade for them)
Island - John Avon (None of these are that great, but this one sticks out from the rest)
Swamp - Rob Alexander 2 (Not the best, but I still tried to have the majority of my swamps this art during Invasion block)
Mountain - Jeff Miracola (No reason. None of them are great)
Forest - John Avon (I do like this art and once again use all of this art in my deck)

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

Funny thing, though...

Ernie just feels more green to me, honestly. That's why I voted for him. Aesthetic is great and all, and Blaloth is a classic creature... but Ernie is more greater and more classic-er than them all when you boil them down.

Ernie needs a place to shine again as an iconic creature. Reprint him one more time and give him his final chance.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Troll Ascetic wins with an OVERWHELMING majority

Troll Ascetic: 60.7%
Ravenous Baloth: 25.9%
Erhnam Djinn: 13.4%

Never thought it would be that decisive. Wow.

This week's choice is for rare equipment.

Empyrial Plate vs. Loxodon Warhammer

Loxodon costs and equips for more, but this bad beast of an equipment changes the face of games. My vote goes to the Warhammer.

Well, only my pic for the John Avon Island won in the land art. Bummer...

This week's art selection comes from Champions of Kamigawa... Honestly, people. Are we so entranced by recent sets that we can't vote on older cards? Sheesh!

Anyway, here's my picks:

Plains: Greg Staples 2 has an impact of a picture. I like a lot.
Island: Martina Pilcerova 1 doesn't have any civilization in it, so I like the best.
Swamp: Jim Nelson 3 looks the "eeriest" (if that is a word?)
Mountain: John Avon 1 looks like a bunch of old Mountain art draw on top of each other. Awesome!
Forest: Rob Alexander 1 grabs out at me the most.

I swear, if Mirrodin or Onslaught block is the last block that we vote on, I'm going to scream. Come on, guys! Let's get some older blocks in here! Invasion is a good start, but give us Urza's Saga or Tempest or Mirage or Ice Age or SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mercadian Masques would even work!!!!!!!!!! The problem is the damn newbies voting that have never seen the old art. pricks. I should ding-dong ditch all of their houses.

That's this week's votes. Enjoy!

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

Warhammer will win this one. The plate just doesn't seem to work with the whole Hellbent thing.

O

orgg

I wish Plate would win, but the N00bs like Warhammer.

Its a limited bomb, and a new player bonanzai. They don't even realize that the lifegain isn't the most significant part of its goodness.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Go here for the page.

Loxodon Warhammer - 62.6%
Empyrial Plate - 37.4%

Another landslide. No surprise here this time. Moving on to red weenies:

Kird Ape vs. Mogg Fanatic

I'm staying with my previous rationale and going with Mogg Fanatic. It has more playability in that it has a separate function. Plus, it can fit into any red deck. Kird Ape cannot. It must be Red/Green of some kind.

Moving along. My Swamp and Plains choices won from last week. Couldn't care less..... BUT MY PLEA WAS ANSWERED FOR THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!! The last art that we vote on will be from Urza's Saga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, each basic land had the same artist for all four versions, so I'm looking for subtleties in my picks

Plains: Rob Alexander 3 appeals to me since it appears the outstretch of land is winding around the cloud.
Island: Donata Giancola 1 is the most striking and energetic of these arts. I like this one extremely.
Swamp: The trees in John Avon 4 have a more dead feeling to me, therefore more appropriate as a swamp art than the others.
Mountain: John Avon 2 sticks out from the other 3 as it's darker. Works for me.
Forest: These arts seem to fit the Simic guild, huh? I like Anthony S. Waters 3 the best. The background with an extending forest gives it more appeal to me.

NEXT, the art for Lord of the Pit. Sutfin's art prevailed over Allsop's and I agree. It was a slim margin of victory, but go Sutfin!

This week's art pick is Fountain of Youth. I approve of Sketch A over Sketch B. Why? Because I do. That's why.

I'm sleepy. Enough 10th edition talk.

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

It seems they're running an out-of-expectation artwork and a 'fits the card and current style of art' piece of art. It seems that the more 'classic' piece is the one that's chosen most of the time.

...I just wish that the art for Zur's Weirding during 9th had not had the artists labelled.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Week 6

Mogg Fanatic is in with an overwhelming majority

Mogg Fanatic- 63.8%
Kird Ape- 36.2%

This week, we will be voting on the two first "Make your Own Card" cards:

Forgotten Ancient vs. Crucible of Worlds

I think that the Crucible is overall a better card. The Ancient may work well with the Simic Guild, but the Crucible will find it's way into more decks.

We have a second card decision to make

Time Stop vs. Spelljack

I'm gonna have to go with Time Stop on this one. When Judgement was out, I can't remember for the life of me if anybody actually seriously played Spelljack. I didn't play Magic during Kamigawa block, so I don't know. But the effect of Time Stop is just so much cooler to me.

So only my Island and Mountain picks won this week. Oh well. At least we get Urza lands. Also, my pick for the Fountain of Youth sketch won, as well.

New Sketches:
Howling Mine- I prefer the first art. The second one seems kinda hokey to me.
Might of Oaks- The second art is very interesting, while the first one doesn't have any motion/action in it. Second one, please!

That's it for THIS week!

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

The card votes, I don't care. The "make your own" cards took terribly crappy paths, and I can't bvelieve they're reprinting 'em. As for the blue annoyance cards, Time Stop is complicated for a base set, but much better than Spelljack, another fun card that ~I~ used and use to good effect. It ain't that great, though. I would abstain if I could.

Lands, blech.

Artwork, I prefer the Mine that is OUTSIDE the mine, and the Might of Oaks that is ~NOT~ someone wooden. Hitting with a tree is just... better.

D

dwarven_anarchist

Sketch A for the Might looks like a creature more than a spell.

I'm glad Mogg Fanatic won. He's a lot more versatile than the Ape.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Week 7

Forgotten Ancient - 42.8%
Crucible of Worlds - 57.2%

I expected as much. The Crucible is simply a better card.

Time Stop - 55.5%
Spelljack - 45.5%

I expected Time Stop as well, but I thought this vote would be a blow-out. I didn't think that Spelljack would have enough supporters to give have it within 5% of 50%.

Howling Mine- Sketch B won. I didn't pick it, but I understand why Sketch B won. It actually shows the mine from the outside. Better visual. I forget who brought that point up, but yeah.
Might of Oaks- Sketch B won with the biggest margin of victory for 10th so far: 80.1% to 19.9%. That says something.

THIS WEEK!!!!!

Artist Sketch:
Story Circle - The first sketch looks like it should be a black card. Personally, I like that sketch better, but not for the art of Story Circle. Sketch B please.

Card Selection:
DRAGONS GALORE!!!!!!

When I clicked on the link, I about crapped my pants at how many choices there are. 11, count 'em, 11 Dragons are being voted on!!!!!!

I'm not providing links to all of them, but here are the choices:
Brimstone Dragon
Clockwork Dragon
Crimson Hellkite
Dragon Mage
Hunted Dragon
Rathi Dragon
Shivan Hellkite
Tek
Thunder Dragon
Two-Headed Dragon
Volcanic Dragon

My top three choices are:

3. Volcanic Dragon- More cost effectice than Brimstone Dragon, I think. I'd rather play a 6cc creature than an 8cc.

2. Thunder Dragon- a 5/5 flyer with a mega Pyroclasm at a CIP effect is a HUGE limited bomb!!

1. Rathi Dragon- My favorite dragon of all time. Rath Cycle churned out quality cards and this was no expection. a 5/5 flyer for 4 mana is awesome. A proper Sligh deck should be able to function well by losing two mountains. This sees 3rd turn drops and is awesome!

That's all this week!

Ransac, cpa trash man

tag guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Week 8

Shivan Hellkite won.

Now it's Fallen Angel vs Nantucko Husk.

Don't really care about the art or flavor text so didn't bother to list it, but you can always check the link :)

Tag Guard

N

Nightstalkers

Ransac said:
I expected Time Stop as well, but I thought this vote would be a blow-out. I didn't think that Spelljack would have enough supporters to give have it within 5% of 50%.
Not so, the original version of the "Counterhell" deck sported the original spelljacking card, Desertion. As times went on the deck morphed and became just as potent as it ever was, finally tossing away your Desertion for the more versitle Spelljack card. Timestop works just as well in it's place however.

Ransac said:
Howling Mine- Sketch B won. I didn't pick it, but I understand why Sketch B won. It actually shows the mine from the outside. Better visual. I forget who brought that point up, but yeah.
I still get the impression that it is copied from an old Urza's Mine card art. But definitely looks crazy.

Spiderman said:
Now it's Fallen Angel vs Nantucko Husk.
If they don't do the original artwork for Fallen Angel... We're better off with the Husk. Better off with it anyways in my opinion >.>

And as for the sketches... it just seems like StoryCircle is WotC's way of not having to choose which circles of protection to reprint all the time.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, I find Story Circle is a much better card, anyway. It used to be a staple in my "Answer" deck that was successful in late Masques/Invasion Standard.

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

The current go-around of voting gets the "doesn't care" vote from me.

Tag Guard

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Week 9

Nantuko Husk - 54.7%
Fallen Angel - 45.3%

I like this pick, though I prefer Phyrexian Zombie better :rolleyes:

This week it's Mind Stone vs. Guardian Idol

Hmm...... card advantage....... another creature........ My vote goes to Mindstone. It's a usable deck thinner. The Guardian Idol is a constant burden on your resources if you want leave mana open to keep it useful.

Nekrataal Sketch A won. I like it better. The second one looks like a guy dancing around with a sword. The first one is much more stealth looking... just what I like in my 187 creatures.

Great..... art for Vampire Bats. The second one looks cooler, but the first one is the has more than one bat for the "Bats" title. Eh.... I'll vote for Sketch B. Don't care either way, though..... stupid Vampire Bats....

Flavor Text poll.... don't care about it either, but the Dickenson poem works for me.

This week was a downer for STE, but at least the Husk won.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

wow, tossup between the mindstone and the animatable statue... lol, I loved the stone just for the ability to pitch it for a card.

Sketch B for vampire bats looks like it has been sitting on the roster for a while. Won't it be interesting to get back that good oldie again?