Scattergories: Round 1

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You gotta love controversy on the first round... this is why our games in real life get pretty heated :)

Okay, just everyone throw in a vote so we can move on:

Mooseman - Yes
DarthFerret - ??
Turgy22 - No
EricBess - Yes
Ransac - No
Melkor - ???
Spidey - No

So one No from DF or Melkor would do it, or they have to be two "yes"s.

B

BigBlue

The rules say a tie goes in favor of the challenger... If there are abstentions - or people who simply don't see it to vote, then I think we still go by ti goes in favor of the challenge (meaning the point won't count).

If I had a vote, I would say Yes... I don't know that Country = Sovereign Nation... What other dependencies are out there? Scotland? Ireland? Most people would say those are countries if they are Dependencies... Back in the day, the parts of the USSR? They were members of the Soviet Union. I'm not suggesting the Maryland or Ontario are countries - they are States/Provinces... Also - I took away "Jello Jigglers" from EB because of the Jello Part... This wasn't a Make-up call per se... but when tallying the scores, I tried to balance things if I could...

But, ultimately it's up to the players. :)

E

EricBess

I didn't create those websites. And wikipedia lists it as a dependency, yes, but it still lists it in a list of countries, so I would interpret that as a clarification as to the type of government. I think we are splitting hairs here.

If you want to get very technical, then all "Jello" responses should be tossed out because "Jello" is not a food, but a brand name. There is technically not a food called "Jello". "Jello pudding pops" is iffy because "Pudding Pops" don't start with "J", but probably should be allowed since you don't typically see other brands of pudding pops. Also - "Jello Jigglers" should be allowed because it is a specific snack item created with Jello Gelatin, unless we are disallowing "Jello Pudding Pops", in which case I should get 1 point for "Jigglers". If people wanted credit for their "Jello" response, then they should have put "Jello Gelatin", or "Jello Pudding", two completely separate items. I suppose we could consider "Jello Gelatin" as a default since it is what most people think of as simply "Jello", but then I would like to put "Jello Jigglers" back on the table. Would you consider "Chicken Cordon Blue" and "Chicken" to be the same answer had the letter been "C"?

Honestly, I really don't care that much. But I am trying to make a point here. We can squabble over every point or we can just play a game and enjoy ourselves. Personally, I think "Jello Pudding Pops" are pushing it a bit, but I really don't care, so I vote yes, count it. Likewise, I have given 4 sites that list Jersey as a country (one of which says that governmentally it is a dependency of Great Britain - it's still listed as a "non-state Country"). Personally, one of the things I like about Scattergories is flexibility. "Knuckle" is a type of sandwich and they list that as an example in their rules.

To be honest, I'm starting to remember why this game has fallen apart every time we've tried it here.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I can see the Jello thing, but really is it that important?
Quit complaining and play.
I say let BB score the game and continue, this challenge crap is what makes this game fall apart.
If you question an answer, fine, but don't drag it out.

I questioned the Ju Ju beans as 2 points, I sent it as Juju Beans, but BB said he found it listed as Ju Ju and it was 2 points..... Ok, continue play........

B

BigBlue

I've never seen it as juju beans... I used to work in a convenience store - where I recalled selling them as Ju Ju Beans - in point of fact, they could have been Ju Ju Bees... I did a bit of research (while checking Jujy fruits) and found them also listed as Ju Ju... either way, I knew what you were talking about, and they were always spelled Ju Ju to me...

I'm counting Jersey as a country and moving on.

EB - I did not count the Jello Jigglers, because as I recall they are something you make at home, not a specific storebought item... and Jello Gellatin is Jello Gellatin - whether it's in a salad (w/ or without fruit), by itself, or shaped like letters, numbers or symbols. Jello Pudding is definately different than Jello Gellatin.

E

EricBess

Mooseman - Exactly what I'm saying. I want to play the game and have fun. I don't want to have to defend or fight for every point. If the game breaks down to that, I don't think it's worth playing. I was (and am) perfectly happy with BB's ruling.

Incidentally, I found an interesting comment at Wikipedia here that summarizes my point: "The terms country, state, and nation can have various meanings. Therefore, diverse lists of these entities are possible."

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, whatever. You asked me to vote, so I voted, but I really don't care all that much. Just make a decision and move on.

E

EricBess

I have a suggestion on that.

I propose that you should be able to ask BB to reconsider and to present a single argument in the thread as to why. The person submitting the challenged response should get one single counterargument. Any other responses for or against should be sent directly to BB. But once BB has reconsidered, his decision stands whether he changed the original ruling or not.

B

BigBlue

For the purposes of this game, challenges are not available... picking nits over 1 point is not fun. But rest assured, everyone will get the benefit of the doubt from me when I can... and I will sometimes do a "Make-up call" on a close answer. I don't want anyone to feel cheated, I want everyone to have fun... :)

Melkor

Yeah, this has become unmanageable. We'll just have to let BigBlue rule with an iron fist. I don't think any challenging of his decisions should be artificially limited to a single post, but I think we can all agree to be on good behavior in that regard. On a sidenote, I would have voted no to Jersey, the analogy in my mind is to Puerto Rico, and I wouldn't call Puerto Rico a country.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My last thoughts: this is one point, in the future there could be some wacky multipoints, and the nature of this game is that every point kinda matters. But sure, no challenges is fine.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Just a quick anecdote:
My brother, who works at a law firm, is no longer allowed to play this game when we get together at my parents.... he has problems with casual, fun games..... He argues to much for the grandchildren..... :D