Scattergories: Round 1

E

EricBess

Jersey is indeed a country. You're just upset because I'm the only one that actually got points for that question :D

I thought of putting "Ju Ju Bees" for Snack, but I thought my answer would have been less likely to be axed. Now I wish I had. Would have been the same for me, but would have kept Moosemand from the 2 points.

Ransac - An answer that naturally has multiple words starting with the same letter is worth points for each word. The best I ever did was "Song Title", letter D, and I put "De do do do, De da da da" :D

I need clarification - In the actual game, you are not allowed to put the same answer in multiple categories. Also, in the real game, if I put an answer for one category that someone else has in a different category, I don't lose my points. Online by its nature needs to be different, but I want to make sure I understand the rules we are playing by. Thanks up front BB.

B

BigBlue

EB - Well, Perhaps it was because of my flawed categories where answers were easilly spread around... For "this" version of the game, they don't count.

Also, I want to clarify something else - I counted Jello Pudding Pops because they are different than Jello or Jello Salad. I counted Juicy Juice, because it's a named beverage which may or may not contain actual Juice (I think it's 100% actually)...

I'm perfectly content with changing results if it's the will of the majority.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I sent it in as Juju beans (I used to get them at the movie theater), but now looking out on the web, they are spelled Ju Ju and Juju...... So we go with BB's ruling.

That's something that should be stated from the begining

BB has the final say on all points rulings..... (even if they aren't in my favor)

B

BigBlue

I don't want to be a dictator... I tried to be as fair as I could - and I tried to give players the benefit of the doubt... I've only ever seen it as Ju Ju beans - which is why I changed it... when I looked it up I found Ju Ju 'bees' w/ a picture of what I remebered eating as a kid (actually didn't like them, they're too hard - maybe if you find them fresher... I'd rather have Swedish Fish or Gummi Bears) :)

E

EricBess

My kids like them. I agree with you, they are too hard. And they are "Ju Ju Bees". I've also seen "jujus" and "Jube Jels" or whatever, but I think that the Bees are the best know currently. I just wish I had gone with it and not just assumed that others would... If you are putting it to a vote, BB, then I say it counts. But I do agree with Mooseman that you need to be the final arbitor.

I just think that if you are going to say that Jello pudding pops are different, then Jello Jigglers are too and I should get points... (j/k - I'm actually fine with your ruling). I assume, however, that "Jello pudding" would be considered similar enough to "Jello pudding pops"?

E

EricBess

So are Jello and Jello Jigglers. Jello Jigglers are made from Jello Gelatin, but they are a specific item.

Melkor

Alright, I knew I didn't remember the putting the same thing in different spots from the original, but it is your game. I would not count Jello Pudding Pops as different from Jello, I think the issue is using a different word rather a different thing but again, it is your game. Just putting in my two cents. And Jersey as a country is a tough call . . .

B

BigBlue

I would say Jello Pudding and Jello Pudding Pops are the same (in terms of the game)...

It's like water and Ice... same thing, just one is frozen...

Jello Jigglers I thought about... but really it's just shaped jello which is made at home, not a storebought product... I thought about giving it 1 point... I also thought about giving Melkor 1 pt for Juicy Juice instead of 2... in the end I felt Juicy Juice was it's own thing, but Jello Jigglers were really just Jello - unless they sell them in a store, but I've never seen them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BB said:
I don't want to be a dictator...
C'mon, rule with an iron fist! :D

I think if there's a dispute, the majority rules, right? I also was looking at Jersey... ;)

(no, I'm not bitter I got zero points :D )

(Yes, I suck at this game in real life too :rolleyes: )

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Technically, Jersey is a "dependency" and not a country. The category said "Country."

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

i Looked at the rules (as listed in Wikipedia - I don't own the game)...

Players vote when they want to challenge a word - the challenged answer has to win the vote (it loses in ties).

There isn't usually a moderator... I am here to facillitate, but would prefer not to get in the way of gameplay. I do try to use fair judgement when posting results.

It seems there are enough questions that "Jersey" needs to be put to a vote.
Before anyone actually votes, any other challenges at this time?

E

EricBess

I've looked on several lists of "Countries" and it has been on each that I have seen.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Throwing something onto a "lump list" of several similar items isn't enough to change a designation. Jersey's designation is not a country, but a dependency that is owned by The Crown.

If you can link a credible list (an official government record or an encyclopedia article, for example), then I will defer my objection. Otherwise, Jersey doesn't cut it for me.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'll add my vote against Jersey as a country. Everything I've read has stated that there are 195 countries in the world and Jersey is a dependency. Even on country lists, there's always a footnote for Jersey stating that it's a dependency. Unless EB can provide a link to something that states otherwise, I'll have to vote against it.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The wikipedia article even states that it's a dependency. I've never heard of the other sources.

Here's a reputable source: Encyclopedia Britannica

I say enough bickering about this, though. It's one point. Lets vote on it and get it over with.

My vote is for No

Ransac, cpa trash man