Roll Call! All Please Respond

A

Almindhra

Originally posted by Killer Joe
<Protection!>

------------------> to Mindy
*thwarts the evil teacher's attack by opening up a compact, something he thought she would never have and deflecting it back to him*

Killer Joe

just ask her about her 7th position. :D

btw, Mindy, I'm teaching ele. band now :)

Can you say, "FRIDAY NIGHT MAGIC-IC-IC-IC"
wha-hooeyyyy no more football games. :)

D

Doombringer

Present! Am I late?

Wheres mommy?

MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, concerning the doomsday stuff, during re-entry into the atmosphere, things get hot, really really hot. Really x 10 to the power of 87 hot, you know, sorta warm. If there were a million really really hot things, then this sterilization theory is probably true. Not that Mr. manhattan rock wouldn't sterilize everything anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they get hot to the point of vaporization. So if they're "little" chunks to begin with, there's nothing to worry about (like the Perseid meteors).

It just depends on how big they are so they survive the entry AND can make an impact that affects the world.

Killer Joe

can ya just this one time, give the phoentic pronunciation of your name? :)

Thanks.

TMEC = Texas Music Educators Conference
Texas has thee best bands of all grade levels in the country. Honest. :cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, in the case of a giant asteroid blown to fragments by nukes, all the fragments (probably large enough to survive entry) would hit simultaneously. Perhaps that has something to do with it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't understand though, it seems to me for life to be sterilized (or "cooked"), the entire atmsophere would have to rise in temperature uniformly. But if the case of an comet/asteroid, it's coming from one direction and thus its fragments are going to hit at one spot. So any heat expended would be directed in that area, not the whole earth.

At least that's how I think it would work.

T

train

Texas has thee best bands of all grade levels in the country. Honest
It's like us to strive for perfection...

:p

:cool:

And band is a freakin' huge effort down here - bigger than some of the football even...:eek:

D

Doombringer

spiderman, the heat wouldn't have to rise uniformally, it would get supremely hot at ground zero, as in daimonds evaporating, and less and less heat would roll onwards to other parts of the globe, but it would probably still be enough to sterilize the planet.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Call me the skeptic, but I wanna see the numbers on how hot it has to be for it to roll out like that and still cause worldwide sterilization. And what size the fragments have to be for this to occur and in what numbers. Etc... :)

Killer Joe

Yeah Texas has very aggressive music departments in their local school districts.

The earth wouldn't die all at once unless the thing hitting us is as big as us.

Football teams are pretty important to most schools but for some reason Texas just likes it's bands big.

Life might actually cease to exsist on earth but only as we know it (don't you dare start singing that REM song :mad: )

Maybe a Texas High School Band could do some kind of "Concept" half-time show depicting the demise of the earth..........:confused: CRIPE! I'm SO confused, whatinthehell are we talkin' about?????

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
I still don't understand though, it seems to me for life to be sterilized (or "cooked"), the entire atmsophere would have to rise in temperature uniformly. But if the case of an comet/asteroid, it's coming from one direction and thus its fragments are going to hit at one spot. So any heat expended would be directed in that area, not the whole earth.

At least that's how I think it would work.
If a swarm of big meteors hit the earth all at once, that would generate a lot more heat than just one HUGE meteor...

The friction as they sear through the atmosphere would have more surface area to work with...

It might breach the atmosphere, but I wouldn't think so. I don't know what kind of power it would take to do that...

I don't have any numbers though, sorry...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I realize all of that so I guess the question is how big of the pieces will the nuke breakup the original into. I mean, is that meteor that created the Yucatan crater considered "doom" size? The one that some people think caused the extinction (or hastened it) of the dinosaurs? Or the one in Siberia? That's really what I'm basing my whole position on, at least as a starting point. Obviously if something bigger is coming along, it'll have an even greater effect and pieces broken off might still be big (if a nuke can affect it).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, that's another thing...

How much damage is a nuclear warhead going to do to something that big? Even if the warhead were some super nuke of 20 megatons or something...

Some asteroids are big enough that I'm not sure they would be destroyed...

D

Doombringer

some asteroids are the size of a small planet. Also, what is the chance of an asteroid actually hitting us? Supposedly the reason earth isn't some pock marked rock like mars is because jupiters gravity pulls in most of the stuff that would otherwise be this supposed doom meteor. And it already happened once, so whats the chance that it'll happen a second time?(lightning never strikes the same place twice)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
LIghtning can strike the same place twice. That's just some silly saying people throw around...