Roll Call! All Please Respond

N

Notepad

This is the line for the free nose hair trimming, right? Mine could use a nice trim. Hard to breathe...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by SeFRo
This is the line for the free nose hair trimming, right? Mine could use a nice trim. Hard to breathe...
The government spent 12 million dollars of the tax payers money to invent a laser nose hair trimmer....

You can pick it up at any "Area 51" store in Nevada.

N

Notepad

Nevada...*whine* I hate that place. Paper Sefro always grows ten extra arms when we go there. All due to the Yucca Mountain nuclear dump, I think.

Killer Joe

Killer Joe
Train
Almindhra
Chaos Turtle
Sageridder
Ephraim
SeFro
TomB
Spiderman
EricBess
Ransac
Nightstalkers
Oversoul
Orgg
Mythosx
Tabasco

Thats 16 as of Sunday morning :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
The government spent 12 million dollars of the tax payers money to invent a laser nose hair trimmer....
Well, I remember reading somewhere that they spent like a decade and millions of dollars to create the pen that works in space. The Russians used pencils...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
Well, I remember reading somewhere that they spent like a decade and millions of dollars to create the pen that works in space. The Russians used pencils...
Bloody cheap russians have the right idea. Last I checked they were using vaccum tube technology instead of the good old USA's silicon chips.

On the other hand... we spend millions to build guided missles to blow up houses, and terrorists use airplanes to do the same thing. And we provide the airplanes!!!

Ha, they know how to keep their costs down.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, if it's any consolation, the missiles will do the job more effectively...

I mean, don't get me wrong. I like pens. I always use them over pencils. If I were traveling through space for some reason, I would use the space pens rather than pencils...

But I wouldn't spend millions of dollars to do it...

N

Notepad

Seems better to stick with pencils and save all that money. As for the terror vs. ICBMs, um...you have the wrong comparison. Soviets, and Russians after them, are not terrorists. Yeah, they provided a lot of toys to the terrorists and incited a lot of hate, but the United States did the exact same thing.

Think about the effectiveness, though. Use an ICBM: World ends because everyone pulls the trigger. Use a jet: Your country gets attacked and you run for cover in the hills because your overhead is so cheap you live in a cave. Cruise missiles can't tag ya, because there's no facilities to keep track of from space.

Though, when we do catch Osama, I say we keep him alive and save him for the Doomsday Asteroid that scientists love yapping about. Then we strap him to our ICBMs and launch them at the asteroid. He'd love the ride, methinks. And it'd be a good use out of him. :D :D :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Launching ICBM's at a doom asteroid headed toward the earth would supposedly have the following effect. I have to quote it out of this awesome book I have, because it words it in such an utterly cool way...

"Meeting it in outer space with a nuclear warhead might be satisfying, but unhelpful. In fact, it would make the situation far worse. One big rock would turn into one million little rocks--all still headed for the same place. And a million rocks simultaneously searing through the Earth's atmosphere would cook the entire planet to the point of sterilization. This is not good."

Man, I love my book of destructive stuff...

So yeah...

But I'd much rather have ICBM's as weapons than commercial airliners, no contest there...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And a million rocks simultaneously searing through the Earth's atmosphere would cook the entire planet to the point of sterilization.
Why is this?

First, let's define "little". And second, stuff like Perseid meteor showers happens all the time with "little" rocks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's up to you to define little...

My book of destruction doesn't say. But I guess they'd be little in proportion to the size of the original, which would be, well, doom-sized...

So the original is the size of Manhattan (or so my book of doom claims). That means that the "little" pieces are going to be whatever size it is that a nuclear warhead will render them to. I guess that's dependent on the size of the warhead...

If I'm not mistaken, the doom asteroid would be even bigger than Comet Swift-Turtle anyway. That means that when it hits the earth, even in little pieces, the impact is going to be a lot greater than a few paltry meteors flying off of the comet and striking the earth...

I'm not an astrophysicist though. I don't know exactly WHY the rocks hitting the atmosphere simultaneously would cook us to the point of sterilization. It's just what my book of destruction tells me...

I

Istanbul

Just in case you didn't understand...

I posted by not posting.