Re-Opening the Debate: Should the CPA become a General Gaming Site?

T

train

So - when tallied up - is there a majority for changing the site, or is there anyone strongly opposed?...

Killer Joe

"Change" is too strong of a word. And I know this is just semantics but how about "Sleightly altered and let's see how it goes", there, that's MY vote.

btw, did I ever mention I love to sit on fences? ;)

T

train

waiting for a decision rando?...

That's where we usually land...:rolleyes:

C

Chaos Turtle

I certainly think that it would do us a little good to broaden our perspective a bit. Stick with the fantasy gaming theme, keep Magic a priority, but bear in mind that even Magic-players -- particularly "casual" ones -- don't neccessarily live and breathe Magic exclusively.

And we seriously need to make the place more attractive, graphically speaking. Certainly, the curent look is easy on the eyes, but maybe a little too easy (but please, none of that "classic" orange-and-black).

I'd like to see a poll on the front page soon, or even a set of them in the forums with front-page links (being in the forums would encourage participation, I think). I'm happy to craft the polls, if the other active (& semi-active) admins are cool with it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But even I had to admit this scheme was more professional looking...;)

I'm not sure what you meant though, CT, about "crafting" a poll on the front page. Are you saying you want us to vote, through a series of forum polls, on the proposed changes to the front page? Or are you volunteering to fix/replace the defective front page poll?

Actually, it doesn't matter to me - I vote Aye to both ideas...;)

C

Chaos Turtle

You had it right the first time, TomB. I didn't know the front page poll was broken. No matter, it's something that works just as well (maybe better) doing it through the forums with a link from the front page.

O

orgg

Well...

Having thought about this quite a bit, and knowing a bit about other CCGs and various games myself, I feel that opening the Home Page of the CCG to various alternative games might not be a bad idea if done within limits-- there are VERY FEW sites out there with games as a general theme in the style of Magic sites; most sites bury the submitted material in some nook as if it was a niche item... which it is to an extent.

However, there are plenty of non-electronic games that Magic players may be interested in casually picking up-- Versus hooked Seffy, Button Men (and various other CAGs) hooked me along with some other CCGs, and fun can be found in board games as well.

A new section for articles called 'Other Games' should be created, and 'General Gaming' should definatly be split into a few catagories.

While the focus of the new game articles should be the game itself, the angle of 'introducing Magic players to this game' should be held-- if wrighting an article on Deadlands: Doomtown, draw comparisons to Magic, or if very few are present, draw contrasts. Also, non-magic content should be labeled as such in the article title.

If that goes well, I may be submitted an article on Between-Round Magic Alternatives.

N

Notepad

Magic is a CCG. It alone is not content enough for magazines, who have mostly decided to cover all CCGs and even CMGs. That sounds like a good starting point.

There are plenty of places to go for video games, so why not just stick to CCGs and CMGs (or just CCGs if nobody wants to write about crap like ZeroS***ts...er, I mean HeroClix.)

I for one would like to write about the Vs. System casually, as my lovely AGN network has a Vs site, but it is much more a tournament pro site like Brainburst of Star City.

As for Doomtown...Orgg, ever played it? Its fun, but it shares much more in common with Decipher's Star Wars than it does Magic. In fact, very little is like Magic. If anybody can pick up a couple decks cheap, do so. I recommend it as a psychotic way to have fun in a zany setting.

T

train

and the new front page motto could be...

"Blue sucks major cajones!"

or

"The frogs are not homo."

-> But seriously... it wouldn't hurt to have another branch to the CPA, and it might introduce some of us, and others to games we wouldn't have known otherwise...

N

Notepad

Yes, like the Vs System! :D Trust me guys, if you like superheroes, you will love this game!

If you like Magic, you'll find this version a total breath of fresh air! (even if you aren't a comic fanboy). It is a ton like Magic, but improved in all the places Magic is lacking. The artwork is better, since they aren't trying to color-code the art with the borders.

Shall I write an article up on "Why Magic Players Should Try Vs System" for the first of these crossover articles? ;) :D

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually, I just played the online demo of the Marvel Origins VS System a couple of days ago. I then went to eBay.

It's going to be so much easier to convince my friends to try this game. And lo and behold, it's neither a Magic rip-off, nor does it suck.

N

Notepad

Where is this online demo located? I shelled out the money for each of the three starters (Spidey vs Doc Ock, Gotham vs. Akhram, and X-Men vs. Brotherhood). Awesome decks! I've bought a whole ton of packs of each set.

Though, if I woulda known there was an online demo....I probably woulda gotten into this game a LOT faster. :D :D

However, playing in real life, with true bluffs is awesome. Is that face-down card that's been there four turns just a desperately-placed character, or is it the game-swinging plot twist my opponent needs? Plus, if you're a real major geek, real life offers the advantage of being able to quote stuff like a total fanboy. Attacking with Thing? Guess its time to shout "It's clobberin' time!" :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Holy moly, this even caused Hetemti to post...

So should there be a deadline for this? Do we need to ask Ed who has still not offered his opinion? I know it sounds backwards, like we got all this momentum going by asking you guys, the users, first instead of the head guru if it all hinges on him, but SeFRo wanted me to "get into it" way back when I started this :)

The couple reasons why Ed's opinion might matter is that he IS the webmaster and while I feel reasonably confident I could change the forums around, it's always good to get his opinion on that. He also pays the $35? yearly fee to keep the domain name and he might not be so inclined to do so if the CPA changes from being solely Magic (the fact that he still does it even though he's stopped being active is pretty wondrous and cool right now :) )

T

train

I definitely think Ed should be asked.. and if he decides the change is okay, but doesn't want to keep the site because of the change... I would be willing, or someone else might be willing to pick it up...

:)

Yeah - Hetemti posted, and I saw Gerode online the other day - quite a few still "lurking" and posting when they feel it necessary...

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
I know it sounds backwards, like we got all this momentum going by asking you guys, the users, first instead of the head guru if it all hinges on him, but SeFRo wanted me to "get into it" way back when I started this :)
Always the troublemaker, I is. Sorry sir... ;)

But seriously, it seems like some small shifts in content would be beneficial. And why hasn't anybody told Ed yet? Does he know about all this?

Personally, I woulda contacted the dude if I had his email address, and he woulda been like "Sefro, you annoying s.o.b., I got tired of those emails you sent out on Thankstaking and this seems the same! BLOCK!" And the issue woulda been dead. ;) :D

Or maybe, he'd understand this isn't all silliness. I dunno. I just wish he knew about all this talk and rabble-rousing. :D