Question about buying...

N

Nightstalkers

I've recently come across a shop that has in stock stuff from The Dark on up. I mean boosters, precons, tournament boosters, you name it.

Currently I'm faced with the dilemma on prices and whether or not I should buy anything:

The Dark boosters: $12
4th tournament packs: $60
IceAge tournament pack: $20
Mirage tournament pack: $20
Chronicles boosters: $4.50
Alliances boosters: $5
Urza's Saga, Legacy, Destiny boosters: $6

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't really know anything about that stuff, but the price you gave for Urza's block boosters seems lower than usual. Then again, maybe the last price I heard for Urza's block boosters was inflated...

D

DarthFerret

In my humble opinion, the Chronicles set is priced a little high. It was a massively produced set, and the playability of the cards in general is very limited. I myself have 2 complete sets of chronicles, and that was purely by accident. The Ice Age is pretty pricy. I have seen it here for around $11-$14 per pack. As for the Dark, I have not seen many left, but from what I understand my full set is not worth much of anything. There are also very few playable cards, but those cards that are are well worth having. $12 might be a little high, but you could end up with a couple of cards that make the difference in price. Will be luck of the draw!

J

jackal_pup

$12 for a The Dark booster seems a little steep...hell, I saw some revised boosters on eBay for $12 each. At least you stand a chance of getting a dual in a revised booster.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5183403104&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

A card shop around here is charging $14.75 for tempest boosters, I told them they were crazy.

$5 for Alliances is a steal though....if I were you I'd buy all I could afford...remember that Force of Will is an UNCOMMON....the card shop around here charges like $7 for alliances....i bought 4 packs there and get 2 force of wills. I was quite happy :D

I

Istanbul

The Urza Block boosters are a bit underpriced.
Alliances is priced about the same as you can get on eBay. Remember that the set had Force of Will, Thawing Glaciers, and...that's about it.
Everything else is grossly overpriced.
For example, the most valuable card you can pull from a pack of The Dark is worth about $10. And the most valuable card you can pull from Ice Age or Mirage is worth about half that.
The 4th TP is nothing short of comedy. If it's packed with a Birds of Paradise, a Wrath of God, AND a Ball Lightning, you're getting about half of what you paid.

N

Nightstalkers

If anyone wants me to pick up some packs for them, feel free to ask. I'll try to get a list of everything they've got and post it here.

The store is run by this little old lady who goes on and on about how they pay through the nose when trying to buy it anymore.

thx for the info on the buying... I'm still partial to the Alliances packs because of Force of Will, Thawing Glacier, and Lake of the Dead.

They also have Precons which are helpful for some people..

I

Istanbul

Alliances is okay, but every pack you open where you don't get a Force of Will is $5 down the drain. Glaciers recaps about $3 of that, so does Lake of the Dead and Kjeldoran Outpost...but the other several dozen rares are utter chaff.

If it were me, I'd go after the Legacy and Destiny boosters.

I

Istanbul

Spiderman said:
Don't you also have the chance of getting regular land? :)
Not really. Just scan the pack (which you CAN do with Revised packs).

O

orgg

Push the pack up against the top of the card and you can see through the pack of Revised and back for basic sets, and Fallen Empires and back for the expansions.

If you want Fourth Edition tournament packs, Nightstalkers, I can PM you the phone number of someone who has them for twenty dollars each. It's a legitimate store, and he probably wouldn't mind getting the twenty out of them, as he paid fifteen to get them :rolleyes: .

Most of the stuff is overpriced, if slightly; if the lady is getting gouged now, she's gouging her customers right back. The Alliances and Urzas packs are simi-reasonable, but not THAT reasonable.

That said, do they have any Portal 1, Portal 2, or Portal 3 Kingdoms?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh, I never knew that (like it'll do me any good now :) ). I guess WOTC figured that out/was told so they made the packaging non-transparent/translucent?

J

jackal_pup

Istanbul said:
Alliances is okay, but every pack you open where you don't get a Force of Will is $5 down the drain. Glaciers recaps about $3 of that, so does Lake of the Dead and Kjeldoran Outpost...but the other several dozen rares are utter chaff.

If it were me, I'd go after the Legacy and Destiny boosters.
I bought 4 packs of Alliances at a gouged price of $7 each and I got 2 Force of Wills out of them, the rest of the cards were complete **** and a balduvian trading post, but I'm not complaining.

I

Istanbul

jackal_pup said:
I bought 4 packs of Alliances at a gouged price of $7 each and I got 2 Force of Wills out of them, the rest of the cards were complete **** and a balduvian trading post, but I'm not complaining.
You got incredibly lucky. If you did that five more times, the odds are that you'd lose out every time.

N

Nightstalkers

She has like... Portal 1 packs for 3.25 a piece.

Scanning packs? I've heard of it being done to scam customers out of cards, but never really did it myself. I'd do it, but I'm pretty bad at telling the rares and good stuff (except for force of will & lake of dead).

Basically, is it like the last card in the pack or the first card? that's the question....

J

jackal_pup

Istanbul said:
You got incredibly lucky. If you did that five more times, the odds are that you'd lose out every time.
Well, there's really no doubt about that. In any case, all I'm trying to say is you still stand a fairly decent chance of scoring a Force of Will when you buy a pack since it's an uncommon in a 144 card set.

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah, I'll keep buying up alliances packs... I really do like alliances a little bit...

Heh... she also had Homelands packs for like... 3.75...

I

Istanbul

If you buy Homelands packs at that price, I will reach through your computer screen and slap you.

N

Nightstalkers

Istanbul said:
If you buy Homelands packs at that price, I will reach through your computer screen and slap you.
If His Junk/Her Treasures couldn't get me to buy Homelands packs for $1.50 a piece, what makes you think I'll buy them for $3.75?

Killer Joe

A one-time offer was made to me: 1 Booster Box of Scourge and 1 Booster Box of Champions of Kamigawa for $80 total. And $50 a piece if I only buy one box of either. The first deal makes the packs around $1.10 a pack the other $1.40 a pack.

This guy needs the Ca$h by this weekend, so I'm supposed to get back to him asap

I KNOW this is a good deal! :)

Also, Isty, could you reach through the computer screen and slap him anyway? :D