Protection deck

H

Homestar

yea ur right. but god damn that card is expensive when you buy it individually. oh and i have a question er 2 actually. what is cumulative upkeep. and what is phasing

T

train

I just sent you a PM about the cumulative upkeep...

Phasing - Phasing is a static ability that modifies the rules of the untap step.

-During each player's untap step, before the active player untaps his or her permanents, all permanents with phasing the player controls phase out. Simultaneously, all objects that had phased out under that player's control phase in.
(They "go to" and "come back from" a "Phased-Out zone")

- If an effect causes a player to skip his or her untap step, the phasing event simply doesn't occur that turn.

- Permanents phasing in don't trigger any comes-into-play abilities, and effects that modify how a permanent comes into play are ignored. Abilities and effects that specifically mention phasing can modify or trigger on this event, however. Permanents phasing out do trigger leaves-play abilities as usual. (Any triggers going on the stack due to phasing, go on the stack during upkeep)

- When a permanent phases out, all damage dealt to it is removed.

- When a permanent phases out, any local enchantments or Equipment attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out "indirectly." An enchantment or Equipment that phased out indirectly won't phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the card it's attached to.

- A permanent that phases in can attack and tap to play abilities as though it had haste. This applies even if that permanent phased out and phased back in the turn it came into play. The permanent remains able to attack and tap to play abilities until it changes controllers or leaves play.

N

NorrYtt

First of all, you need 4 Fluctuator.

I think the best Fluctuator builds use lots of creatures that cycle for 2, then play something like Songs of the Damned then Living Death.

They also play the 24 Urza lands with Cycling 2 like Polluted Mire over the more powerful Onslaught cyclers like Barren Moor because they are free to cycle under Fluctuator.

If you have 1 Fluctuator out, Decree of Justice costs W to cycle, then X for X Soldier tokens.

If you have 4 Fluctuators out, Decree of Justice costs W to cycle, then X for X Soldier tokens. That X is not part of the cycling cost so Fluctuator won't help pay for X.

H

Homestar

geez whenever you guys give me suggestions its hard for me cuz i cant get all of these kickass cards. where do you guys suggest i get them?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
As far as I know there's no one right answer to that question...

I think almost everyone runs into your problem at some point. I do all the time...

Yes, I didn't mean anything negative or something by what I said. I just meant that I cannot picture it being very competitive. Fluctuator alone, yes. Replenish alone, definitely. But both together I have yet to see accomplish anything other than losing. But if it works for you, then as Train put it, "more power to you, and less to your opponents..."

Anyway, I looked at that broken new card, Decree of Justice, on a website, and it's selling for $8-10. That is a lot. I should point out though, if you don't already have the Scrublands, that even a Revised edition Scrubland is easily worth more than that, so that would be your real problem for building the deck, although a painland version of it would be a reasonable substitute...

T

train

You could always post what you're looking for, and what you have to trade in out trading post forum...:)

T

train

Sometimes people aren't looking for the "great" cards...

Sometimes they just need certain cards to finish decks... It's all casual - and if we're talking about using Fylgia in some threads - then anything can trade...;)

D

DeathMaster666

Originally posted by train
Sometimes people aren't looking for the "great" cards...

Sometimes they just need certain cards to finish decks... It's all casual - and if we're talking about using Fylgia in some threads - then anything can trade...;)
Even Fylgia. Now to get rid of all of those Hell Swarms and Ice Cauldrons.

I

Istanbul

Ice Cauldron - free to anyone who can tell me what the hell it does...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, from the Ice Age FAQ...

"The basic nature of Ice Cauldron is this: you can use it to store both a spell from your hand and the mana needed to pay for that spell. After the spell has been stored on the Cauldron, you can play the spell as if it were in your hand. This mea ns that you must follow all normal timing rules, targeting rules, and so on. Typically, you will tap the Cauldron for the mana you stored in it before playing the spell.

When you use the first ability of the Cauldron, you choose a spell in your hand and pay some X (which can be zero). When the effect resolves, you put that spell "on" the Cauldron, and store a charge counter of X on the Cauldron. The spell stored this way is not considered in your hand or in play; it is in a sort of limbo, not unlike a creature affected by Tawnos's Coffin. You can play this spell later, whenever appropriate, regardless of whether the Cauldron is tapped and regardless of whether you control the Cauldron. (The fact that you put the spell on the Cauldron, which makes you the person who can play the spell, does not change after the Cauldron is used, regardless of who controls the Cauldron).

If the "storing" effect of Ice Cauldron is countered (say by Brown Ouphe), then the mana is lost but the card is kept in your hand. You can only put the spell and charge counter on the Cauldron if there is not a charge counter on it already. Spells stor ed in the Cauldron are not actually considered to be in your hand, so they aren't counted for Ivory Tower or Black Vise, you can't be forced to discard them by Hymn to Tourach, etc.

The second ability of the Cauldron is to put the mana you stored in it back into your pool. This mana can only be used to play the card you chose when you put the charge counter on the Cauldron; if you put the mana in your mana pool and do not use it fo r that purpose, you'll suffer mana burn from it. Note that if you steal the Cauldron, you can remove the charge counter (and get mana burned) so that you can use the Cauldron later. Also, mana is not drawn from the Cauldron at the speed of an interrupt, so if you store a Counterspell or other interrupt in the Cauldron, you will typically want to find mana sources other than the charge counter to pay for that spell.

Changing the Cauldron's controller will not affect the spells stored on it; the player who stored a given spell on it can still play that spell. Removing the Cauldron from play causes any and all spells stored on it to be placed in the graveyard; this sh ould be treated as card errata.

Any number of spells can be stored on the Cauldron at any given time, as long as you remove each charge counter before storing another spell. You must still play these spells individually, not simultaneously."

R

Reverend Love

Takes up a rare slot in your trade binder and awes people with it's wording.

...PM me for my address.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's also fun to put some spells on, although usually not the most practical. It really has its uses, but people hate how complex it is...

T

train

After looking at it in a viable mana deck - and now with power conduit - it's actually pretty nice...:D

M

mythosx

my advice is trade in all your protection spells for some good spells. just playin...