Proposed MP Official Rules

R

Reverend Love

Two thumbs up. Glad to see WoTC supporting all it's consumers as opposed to it's loudest (pros) consumers.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Some of this stuff is different from what I've played with though...

Generally in free-for-all there's no "spell range" or any of that...

M

mythosx

they loves that spell range. Whats up with that? Let's just have free for action. Perhaps this is a sign that they intend to open up multiplayer competitions on the highest levels and they need to set up a way to control the randomness of an 8 way brawl in order to draw in some of the top pros. Dang it they are still catering to the tourney players.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Reverend Love
Two thumbs up. Glad to see WoTC supporting all it's consumers as opposed to it's loudest (pros) consumers.
-mumbles to himself-

And what about us guys wantin' a T1 tourney?

Multiplayer T1!!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Umm, guys, that's why it's called a "draft" and you can send in your input/ideas... if you don't like the spell range rule, tell them and (hopefully) add your name to the list of others who also may not like it...

M

mythosx

Originally posted by Spiderman
Umm, guys, that's why it's called a "draft" and you can send in your input/ideas... if you don't like the spell range rule, tell them and (hopefully) add your name to the list of others who also may not like it...
You are right. But I think the years have taken a toll on us. We were once proud knights. Now we just sit around the CPA like an old folks home and slap each other on the back about how vicious Channel/fireball used to be.

M

mythosx

"I'm an old man, I don't need inches." Funniest thing heard by tech support. True story. Some guy called in to complain about spam.

N

Notepad

A lot of these things I'm hearing about sound like stuff they already have on MTGO. Spell range is a HUGE thing on MTGO, which breaks cards like Howling Mine and Coat of Arms, especially in Emperor Games. Cards like Weird Harvest and New Frontiers actually have value on MTGO thanks to spell range.

So, like the 8E cards, when people complain, they'll just say:

"Well, people've been playing under this system already. You's don't know whatcha talkin' 'bout, biznatch?! We know better then j00!!!" and then plug their ears like they always do.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I will simply not play in multiplayer games if they adopt spell range or other such moronic concepts...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You could play by "house" rules or just not adopt that portion of the rules. I have the feeling they're the same as the tourney rule portion of the Banned/Restricted List that you ignore too :)

T

train

Spell Range is blanketly stated to be in "some" multiplayer games... So it wouldn't be all...

But if they sanction it - all the better...;)

T

TheCasualOblivion

I can't think of Wizards defining multiplayer rules as anything less than a sign of the apocalypse. Multiplayer is where people go to run away from Wizards and the DCI, and now they're going to invade it? It might be nice to have some of the bigger messes with it defined, but I'm not really sure its worth the price.

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I think that it's about time. For the first few editions of Magic they didn't even acknowledge the fact that more than two players were playing the game.

Tournament level Multiplayer? It almost sounds good, but let me use an example of what happens when a "serious" player comes into a format such as Multiplayer:

Back in the days of Fourth Ed/Ice Age, I had my first play group. We had lots of fun playing FFA games. One night they invited a friend to play. He was a minion of a local Cardboard Crack Dealer. A nice guy, but kinda' evil. He started off the game more-or-less ignoring us as he layed down cards like Fastbond and tons of land. Then he put out a CoP:Green and a Zuron Orb. The rest of us kept ignoring him as we attacked each other w/ creatures etc.

Then he cast Channel, sacked all of his lands to his Zuron Orb, cast Hurricane, Forked it, and tried to use his CoP:Green for both spells. After the damage was done he says "I won!" I reminded him of the text of Fork that states the copy is Red, not Green and advised him that the game was a draw. A very boring draw.

Aside from the Fork mistake, I can imagine a lot of play similar to this if sanctionned multiplayer becomes possible. In this case, I would happily welcome spell ranges.

-Ferret

"How would Shaharazad work w/ spell range?"