Proposed MP Official Rules

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug> It happens. There are plenty of power levels of play within "non-tournament" Magic (with my meaning that no one paid to play and no rankings with the DCI are at stake). I think CO has several tourney-level players, if not actual tourney players, in his MP group.

But I agree it should have been done a long time ago. "Multi-player" Magic doesn't mean the opposite of "tourney" Magic. There have been plenty of people clamoring for the chance to play MP Magic and get rankings for it.

Killer Joe

GASP's Multiplayer Magic League is by no means a 'model' for a DCI tournament level multiplayer format, but it does work and the members generally enjoy it.

If anyone in our group has tried to take advantage of the setting it has been me. My first game in the old "Rogue League" (now defunct but the MML is similarly based off of it), I played a RGW NON-NET deck and dominated the game, of course it took me over 10 hrs. to do so :rolleyes: . So I think maybe time limits might be considered for a DCI MP format (I have absolutly no idea what to suggest for THAT). Also, the very next month I won the game on turn seven by having a 30 card deck, this is a quote from my report:

"Death to All: Elf Ball 2K4"

The Combo:

4x Wirewood Channeler 2/2
Casting Cost: 3G / Creature - Elf / Uncommon from Legions
Tap: Add X mana of any one color to your mana pool, where X is the number of Elves in play.

4x Pemmin's Aura ("U" represents the color blue)
Casting Cost: 1UU / Enchant Creature / Uncommon from Scourge
U: Untap enchanted creature.
U: Enchanted creature gains flying until end of turn.
U: Enchanted creature can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn.
1: Enchanted creature gets +1/-1 or -1/+1 until end of turn
[note: You can use the letters in Pemmin's Aura to spell "I Am Superman" which is exactly what the enchanted creature becomes when you enchant it with the Aura]

4x Flamewave Invoker 2/2 (The kill card)
Casting Cost: 2R / Creature - Goblin Mutant / Common from Legions
7R: Flamewave Invoker deals 5 damage to target player.
(note: there is no "tap" symbol for this card's activation cost)

The accomplices:
4x Llanowar Elves (G)
2x Priest of Titania (1G)
2x Wellwisher (1G)
4x Land Grant - Sorcery (1G)
Common from Mercadian Masques
"If you have no land cards in hand, you may reveal your hand instead of paying Land Grant's mana cost.
Search your Library for a Forest card and put that card into your hand. Then Shuffle your library."

Land:
4x Tropical Island - Dual land (Counts as both a Forest and an Island)
2x Taiga - Dual land (Counts as both a Forest and a Mountain)
[note: This deck could've easily worked, just as well, with plain old Forest cards]

Here's how it works:
Turn 1: Tropical Island (tap it for green) play Llanowar Elves.
Turn 2: Tropical Island (tap it for green) play another Llanowar Elves and another Elf if you have one in your hand like another Llanowar Elves or maybe a Priest of Titania.
Turn 3: Tap both lands and both Llanowar Elves for green and play Wirewood Channeler.
Turn 4: Tap Wirewood Channeler for four blue mana (1 for each Elf in play including the Wirewood Channeler). Enchant the Wirewood Channeler with Pemmin's Aura, use the one extra blue mana in your pool to use Pemmin's Aura's untap ability (which costs 1 blue mana) to untap the Wirewood Channeler. Tap Wirewood Channeler for three more blue mana, use 1 blue mana to untap Wirewood Channeler again using Pemmin's Aura's untap ability. Keep doing this until you have enough blue mana to keep untapping Wirewood Channeler for red mana to cast the red creature Flamewave Invoker. This means you can use it over and over and over using the combination of producing mad amounts of blue mana for Pemmin's Aura's untap ability on Wirewood Channeler then red mana to cast Flamewave Invoker and then use IT'S ability to target your opponents until no is left standing, but you.

30 cards total
So I would think that the 60 card minimum rule would have to be in place.

The other thing to note about the MML, however, is that there is only one tounament-type player (Me) and another former tournament-type player but he can only come twice a year. And the overall consencensus is that this is only a "Casual" game but with points. For the LOVE of everything Holy and Sacred, please don't respond to the word "Casual" here! ;)

T

TheCasualOblivion

I see a future when Tournament players unassumingly join casual multiplayer games, and start insisting on rules and procedures. Its bad enough when you see the fireworks when this happens in two-player games. Multiplayer games are traditionally casual turf...

Blood in the streets.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree. If the tourney players join a group or game and are in the minority, they simply get "overruled" or however the house handles disagreements. If they start a game, then they are free to play the game they want and players joining their game are subject to their rules.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Oops..... sorry KJ..... I was just joking.....
Plaese take this "casual" discussion back to the other thread, before KJ, kills me....... :eek:

Killer Joe

Don't make me ride over the hill and slap yer antlers around! :D

Quote by TCO: I see a future when Tournament players unassumingly join casual multiplayer games, and start insisting on rules and procedures. Its bad enough when you see the fireworks when this happens in two-player games. Multiplayer games are traditionally casual turf...
Okay, by your reaction I can see I haven't quite explained myself:
I was searching the internet one day last May trying to locate Card Shops in the Metro Pittsburgh area (pfft, like we actually HAVE a "Metro" area :rolleyes:) that sold magic cards. I stumbled across this one called Helm's Deep in Dormont (a neighborhood in Pittsburgh) but the store is now renamed The Main Event. Anyway, I saw they were granting discounts for GASP members (GASP stands for: Gamming Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania) so I clicked on a link they had provided for GASP's Homepage (www.GASPgamer.com) and I found out about the Rogue League; a year-long, point-based, multiplayer, nonsacnctioned, Magic:The Gathering tournament <----Note: It said "tournament" Of course, it caught my eye and I contacted the chairperson for the league and researched it's existing rules and "House Rules"

I must've e-mailed this guy like 20 times just asking for clarification on the rules and he was glad to see me take such a unique interest in their league. I studied and memorized their entire rules book and began researching a deck that would best fit this format. Now I've said this before but all that research (not assuming anything, either) I entered and won June's Rogue League game....10 hrs. later.

I do like rules and since there was a donation fee involved with a ca$h payout at the end of the season (Dec), I expected everyone else to abide by the rules.

Six months later, I am now the chairperson for our new tounament game called The Multiplayer Magic League. I tightned up the loose ends with the rules and even posted them here,....somewhere. :confused:

It's working great! And, YES, once in a while we get tangled in a rules dispute but it's mostly from an uninformed stand-point rather than a "Newbie doesn't know the rules" stand point.

And, although I can be a "Jerk" while playing the game, I always take the time to give Kudo's where they are deserved and shake the hand of the opponent that "Takes me out of the game" (when that happens :cool: ).

Jerk examples: You can often hear me taunting another aggressive opponent by saying things like "Are ya gonna cast sumthin' or just stare at your mana!"
or this lil' gem: "Draw-Land-Cast-Attack-End Turn!" when they take too much time during their upkeep. I'm just "jaggin'" around (a Pittsburgh term meaning being jerky), but that's my game, well, at least for now.

When I play with my friends (Mooseman et al) I pretty much try to keep myself contained as these people are some of the nicest people I know and I want to KEEP playing with them.

Whereinthehell am I with my point?

Whatever. See you all Monday!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Great. I'd forgotten this. Well, if it's as bad as it could be, I will simply no longer play in multiplayer games at all...