Oscar Tan, chicken hawk of Type 1?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but that shouldn't matter if
  • you're worried about new people jumping into the power level - that should make it easier
  • if they are fairly recent players, they probably don't even have those cards and won't have to worry about it.
    [/list=a]

N

Notepad

To the depths of Hell with newer players who want to break into tourneys. No format, save for limited, is fair to them.

Want to compete? Don't have the cards to compete? To quote Ted Nugent: "F*** you!"

That said, Extended is crap because it rotates every three years, leaving the older cards out of the loop. Want to play with Mirage or The Dark? Too bad!

Casual is all about playing with the whole collection. That is why Type I is such a popular crusade for so many folks, including Rasko. But, that environment is so lethal, that Type 1.5 is better for the casual crusaders wanting to play with all their cards.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I got the impression we were talking about tourneys, so even though Extended rotates, if the kid has fairly new cards, his will still be legal for awhile.

Of course for casual play I would go with Type 1 or 1.5 or even house rules regarding the banned list if need be so you can play with all of your cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If you have expensive enough cards that you're so incredibly dominant in casual play and need restrictions on cards, you're probably capable of competing in some tournament format already. Of course, there are some exceptions, certainly. Balance and Black Vise come to mind...

But for a more permanent fix to such problems, the T1 or 1.5 restricted and/or banned list is an easy route...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
True, but you can have one or two of the more powerful cards but still don't have the rest to compete.

For instance, I have a Library of Alexandria which I play with and a Wheel of Fortune but certainly don't have enough of the other cards to make them "broken" in the decks they're in.

I have a Morphling too, but not enough of the rest of the cards to make the deck where Morphling was the tourney winner. That and my group hates it just because it has so much text and is "confusing" so they've sorta banned me from playing it (by immediately ganging up on me when it comes out). :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
They think Morphling is confusing? I suggest remedial reading courses if they're truly confused...

Not sure what cures laziness if that's the problem...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you'd have to know the peculiars of my group (I've sorta profiled them in the past). It's more the idea and "intricacies" of the stack still confuses at least one guy when it starts to get really interactive, and such things as pumping up the Morphling's power before damage dealing and then pumping up it's toughness after damage is on the stack is still a bit "complicated" for that one guy.

I don't think the other two mind it, but for that one guy, if "it makes his head hurt", his tendency is to get rid of the problem, i.e. player who is causing it, despite greater threats on the board.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sounds like it's his problem...

Well, yours as well maybe, but not so much...

Bureaucracy from Unglued should be fun for that guy though...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I agree its his problem, but out of courtesy for the group, I've refrained from playing it again. However, he's said that he's actually wanted to try Pemmin's Aura but is also hesitant because of all the grief he gave me about using Morphling, so it's like a standoff that both are willing to break but for some reason don't :rolleyes:

But it's only one card out of tons of others, so I don't see it as a big deal. :)

M

Mikeymike

Morphling shouldn't be that much of an issue. Sure it's an annoyingly good creature, but it isn't as annoying as the counter backup that usually follows it.

In casual/MP, it shouldn't even be an issue with the high amount of board-sweepers around. Plus, I bet it often even isn't the most dangerous creature on the board. Really, two guys in my group play Morphlings, and they are solid in casual but unspectacular. He shouldn't have an issue with it.

In casual I'd argue that Pemmin's Aura might actually be more dangerous b/c of the high amount of creatures that can benefit from it's "U: Untap" ability.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's the card itself, it's the "trickiness" and the stuff you can do on the stack with it that is this guy's problem.

I haven't really focused on it outside of this R/U deck I had with it because I just haven't played enough to warrant building new decks. But I might bring him back.

Killer Joe

I'm not really a Type I fan and/or player. But to chastise him for expressing his opinions/theories about Type I isn't fair. I can say that I don't have a clue about Type I but I can't say (or shouldn't say) YOU have no clue about Type I.

As for Star City Games, when The Ferret and to some extent, Johnny "Friggin" Rizzo (whom I HAVE actually talked to face to face many times-he's UGLY! :)) it's gone down hill (but that's just MY opinion).

ASK KEN is full of inside jokes that makes me feel like I don't have a star on my belly and I should WANT to get one. Mike Flores' articles are good, imo. But the site as a whole isn't a must for me anymore unless I'm REALLY bored.

Talk about "Stars upon Thars" Brainburst isn't much better with it's GOLD articles. I once bought a 3 month subscription for the gold articles and I used it to my advantage BIG TIME! I had some serious insights to the game that made me a better player from playing clean to Jedi Mind Tricks to skill building. But I don't WANT to have to inconveinence myself and PAY for it. So I don't anymore since my script ran out. :rolleyes:

Spidey: Pemmin's Aura is just SICK! I took out 6 players in an organized multi-player game on turn SIX! This guy of yours should try to re-learn some of the stack rules in bit-size chunks.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, I read your article :)

It's pretty much the same situation he has time-wise as I do, except he can't really get online a lot like I can to keep up with it. He basically plays when I can (well, more since he can make it more than I can) but doesn't really have time to concentrate on Magic outside of that period. I mean, he (and the rest) build decks during the "playing time", so I've learned to go about an hour later than it's supposed to start to give him time to get ready.

I'm not blaming him, it's just discourage to try to play a card and then get whacked for it for the above reasons when there are greater threats on the board. But I guess I can always be vindictive and build a deck that will smash him or get him the next game :)

M

mythosx

I didnt know where to post this...so i dug up this thread to tag it on here.

Rasko is the palest philipino Ive ever gandered upon.

wouldnt hurt him to do a few laps either.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How many Filipinos have you gandered upon? :)

And maybe it's all muscle... or he's at his weight range for his height... or whatever. :)