Oscar Tan, chicken hawk of Type 1?

R

Reverend Love

Am I the only one whom whenever they see another Tan article, simply tosses it aside as more egocentric drivel? All the mystical-poo he spews forth is theory....theory which I’d like to add he’s never applied. Correct me if I'm wrong but when's the last time he won a Type 1 tournament?...damn when's the last time he actually entered a Type 1 tournament? And don't give me he lives in the Philippines crap...I've been there and you've got the haves and the have-nots (as is usual in 3rd World Nations) If homeboy has the cash to blow on the most expensive cardboard in Magic, and has a family owned island...then he's probably in the latter. So I ain't buyin it.

If his love for Type 1 is as deep as his bull**** then why not...you know...actually play it? Other then posting more boring Apprentice logs, which no one cares about.

Ack...Is it me, or is starcitygames articles really starting to suck major oink? I use to read nearly everything SSGs posted..now I pretty much skip the site entirely. Their featured articles just happen to feature the same boring **** every time; Set Review, Limited Draft Picks, Card Advantage (oyay), and (insert Net Deck of the week) in-depth analysis.

I'll finish the rant off by finally taking a stab at their card prices....which are hands down the most inflated on the web.

So congrats SSGs you suck utter and complete expletive deleted.

Ain't it cool how this started off about Tan then ended with Starcitygames? To be honest I need'ol starcitygames..they're magic site I love to hate.

M

mythosx

I thought I ranted about this months ago. I can't choke down another article.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I disagree with your "rant" :), but perhaps that's because I've "known" him longer.

Just because you don't play in a tourney doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about. I get the impression he's very much in touch with the Type 1 scene and talks regularly with others, either in or out of the Type 1 tourney scene. And his Apprentice logs seem to show that he's playing against Type 1 tourney decks, even if it isn't in the actual setting.

Here's a question for you: why do you specifically disagree with his "theories"? Is that not the way it is in your area? Have you entered Type 1 tourneys with either his ideas or played against them and found them lacking? Why not correspond with him directly (he gives out his email in his articles) and discuss it with him?

R

Reverend Love

I haven't discussed, nor attempted to refute his theories because I'd be criminal to what I'm ranting about. Which is:

Making a case without practical knowledge.

I'm not in the position, nor do I believe is he to make type 1 arguments. Reasons being neither of us actively participate in any organized play.

A good analogy would be a few of my old pals in Turkey were U.S. Army Special Forces. I supported them in a few things here and there and drank with them on more then one occasion. We were great friends and discussed all kinds of nifty stuff. But just because I hung out with them, knew the lingo and could shoot the breeze didn't mean I was one. I could talk at great length about SF stuff, be that as it may it still didn't deny the fact that I was still just talking out my oink.

I think the same holds true with Tan, just because he associates himself with some of Type 1's sharks doesn't necessarily mean he is one.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug>

I disagree. Like I said, I think he plays pretty regularly, just not in a tourney setting. Which shouldn't disqualify him from writing about Type 1.

Maybe I'm wrong - only way to know is to ask him what his credentials are.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've read his articles from time to time. I never really saw them as egocentric or anything...

But for the most part I guess I agree about StarCity being not worth reading. But I have found stuff on there that I thought was good, and it's a large forum, so there is bound to be a certain amount of material by authors I disagree with...

M

mythosx

I think the egocentric part of his articles are when he is always name dropping. He says things like "as I was telling Randy Beuhler(insert random somebody)." The guy lives in the Philipines. Emailing people is not the same thing as conversing. I can send Madonna a letter. And then post here, "As I was saying to madonna the other day"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I guess I can see how someone might take it that way, although I never thought before that such was his intent, but whatever...

M

Mr_Pestilence

I agree. Tan's articles are really tedious, although I give him props for his obsession. But, as I have said before, Type I can't be taken seriously until more players have access to the cards.

SSG - It used to be a daily must read, now I just scan the titles for the rare interesting article.

As for their prices, what can I say? I checked there recently for a foil Shivan Oasis. SSG price? $20.00!

AlphaBetaUnlimited price? $4.50. I got a full set of foil 8th "dual lands" for less than $20.00. Just damn...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think he's "name-dropping", he knows these people from way back and regularly talks to them ("regularly" as can be with jobs, real life commitments, etc). Tan goes way back and before his website Beyond Dominaria went down, had plenty of "names" converse there (I think the forums moved somewhere else, like Star City or something).

He's just a long-time player who has a lot of long-time friendships.

N

Nightstalkers

Personally, I don't mind the T1 articles very much. I'm stuck in an area where I have no T1 tourneys and only a bunch of T2 tourneys with <expletive deleted> <expletive deleted> with <expletive deleted> in their <expletive deleted>!!!

Okay, so I got kicked out for tainting the group with my psychotic strategies... But why can't I help some poor kid who's basically new to the game with basic deck construction strategies? He hadn't even heard of mana curve or card count economy; heck, he was still in the stages where we all were, throwing together a deck filled with big and little creatures. Just went along the rules of 60 cards to 30 lands...

Anyways, I just appreciate seeing a little idea into T1 beause... well... if WotC ever decided to print a T1 set and sponsor a tourney, they'd have some really fun matches for ESPN.

M

mythosx

they are never going to print a T1 set. As far as a type one tournament goes, I dont think it will be as fun as you think. If I read the transcripts correctly basically having an Untapped Island may make the difference between winning and losing. It's a huge locked down issue.

How does bizarre/world gorger dragon work? I see how it works kinda, But isnt it extremely fragile?

N

Notepad

T1 is impossible for the masses because of the access issue.

So then, oh high IQ geniuses of the Magic writing community, doesn't somebody crusade for TYPE 1.5?!?!

That note has been mentioned from time to time, but nobody ever runs with it. They have a Demonic Tutor and a Regrowth in their collections, so they automatically agree with Tan et al out of greed and desire to play with their few restricted cards. It's not worth it, though. Type 1.5 should be the casual crusade.

As for the opinion on Tan, I have to agree with mythos, rev, and pestilence. The articles are tedious, and are filled with egocentric fluff. Yes, that is almost all you see on SCG right now.

*Note: Star City Games = SCG

SCG is just boring crap that needs to be scanned over at the end of thr week. All the humor and fun is gone. All that is left is an empty husk of a site that just wishes it could be Brainburst.

Yes, Brainburst kicks SCG's butt hard. Sad to say, but things have evolved that way. (Though some of you may disagree thanks to HOUTs on the front page of Brainburst from time to time).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's too bad he doesn't visit here anymore... (or at least actively post, although I don't think he visits altogether....)

T

train

But, as I have said before, Type I can't be taken seriously until more players have access to the cards.
This just won't happen until reprints are done...

N

Notepad

Forget type 1. Everyone should focus on Type 1.5, which many many many more people can play. It only makes sense.

It would be nice if we had more folks posting. But who did you mean, Spidey?

You wish Tan posted? You wish Houts posted?

Or how about a little of both: Raskouts!?!?!

M

mythosx

Originally posted by SeFRo
T1 is impossible for the masses because of the access issue.

So then, oh high IQ geniuses of the Magic writing community, doesn't somebody crusade for TYPE 1.5?!?!

That note has been mentioned from time to time, but nobody ever runs with it. They have a Demonic Tutor and a Regrowth in their collections, so they automatically agree with Tan et al out of greed and desire to play with their few restricted cards. It's not worth it, though. Type 1.5 should be the casual crusade.

As for the opinion on Tan, I have to agree with mythos, rev, and pestilence. The articles are tedious, and are filled with egocentric fluff. Yes, that is almost all you see on SCG right now.

*Note: Star City Games = SCG

SCG is just boring crap that needs to be scanned over at the end of thr week. All the humor and fun is gone. All that is left is an empty husk of a site that just wishes it could be Brainburst.

Yes, Brainburst kicks SCG's butt hard. Sad to say, but things have evolved that way. (Though some of you may disagree thanks to HOUTs on the front page of Brainburst from time to time).
Star City Games used to be fun??? The whole site not just rasko, is full of college text book material with extreme insider material. If I don't know the auther persoanlly I can't understand any of the jokes.(I can't understand jack on that site cept for the dry text book stuff).

N

Notepad

Yes, SCG used to be funny, engaging, and most of all, accessable to a new reader. Stars like Ferrett and Rizzo helped a lot with that, but overall the place had a feel to it more akin to the Dojo. Now, its a wannabe Brainburst that got the whole "we're elite pros" formula wrong.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by SeFRo
It would be nice if we had more folks posting. But who did you mean, Spidey?
I was talking about Tan... he posted here pretty regularly back in 2000-2001... when this site was jumpin'. He still has the CPA in his sig in his articles, but I don't think he's been here in a couple of years...

M

Master Shake

He was here once, but only to get people to boycott InQuest, a magazine that he apprently reads quite frequently. I like to browse through a copy every once in a while for some of the interstesting twists on game play (alternate means of play)