Oscar Tan, chicken hawk of Type 1?

M

mythosx

They must be one and the same! Burn him, he's a witch.....wait...no no...that was all wrong...

M

mythosx

LO! A man and a spider! He must be the spawn of an infernal union! DRAW and quarter him!!!

huh huh huh, I said union.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Mr_Pestilence
Type I can't be taken seriously until more players have access to the cards.
I see kids playing casual games and not being able to get into T2 games because of their inability to get T2 legal decks together that are worth anything.

I play with a couple guys around here that are used to seeing this and we're getting a little prickly around the sides about it. Why can't a kid with a deck thats a mixture of what they have play in a tourney? I think it something that would be interesting to see.

So what if the oldest cards they've got are from Prophecy, Odyssey, or just plain Legions? Aren't they no longer legal in T2? Saddle them up for the T1 leagues and lets get the party started I say!

M

mythosx

That would be nice. The only problem is that you would be throwing the guppies in with the sharks. They can play but they just can't win. There would have to be some restrictions on a scene like that. Like cost of deck, number of rares or what not.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They could start out with Extended. That's supposed to be the compromise between Type 2 and Type 1.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes, but Extended rotates soon and some of those players I'm sure are in a similar position there as myself...

That is to say that once Extended rotates, I will not be able to build a deck for the format because I don't have enough newer cards...

Plus I just can't take it seriously anymore. They banned Dark Ritual! What kind of format bans Dark Ritual? It's just sickening, really...

M

mythosx

Originally posted by Oversoul
Yes, but Extended rotates soon and some of those players I'm sure are in a similar position there as myself...

That is to say that once Extended rotates, I will not be able to build a deck for the format because I don't have enough newer cards...

Plus I just can't take it seriously anymore. They banned Dark Ritual! What kind of format bans Dark Ritual? It's just sickening, really...
Blame it on the new color wheel...

N

Notepad

They do all this color wheel stuff, and use it to justify color-copying the wussy cards, like Howl from Beyond. Why not color-copy Dark Ritual, too?

One that adds RRR on the first turn seems pretty cool to me. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, you gotta make compromises somewhere. Besides, it rotates what, every two-three years and at least with Legions cards, they'll be in for a while.

N

Notepad

Hello?

Why not try to get folks to play Type 1.5? It uses all the type 1 cards, but without the hassle of the broken cards. No rotations. Tis the best choice, really.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good option too. I just wonder if a "newer player" with cards from the sets described above (Odyssey, Legions) might feel intimidated playing a person using older cards like from Ice Age or Mirage, but like you say, the truly broken cards are banned in the format, so it should be okay...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, obviously it's always been an integral part of the game...

Still, I don't like when it's used to justify stupid stuff...

And it gets in the way of some cool things sometimes. They probably wouldn't reprint Stone-throwing Devils because it's a first striker and black...

Mana Drain, Mishra's Workshop, Bazaar of Baghdad etc. are all legal in 1.5 and slightly hard to get too...

But 1.5 has a large pool of broken cards compared to any format that's not Type 1. All it does is make the format cheaper. I like that, but I'm still more into Type 1...

Newer players trying to survive in 1.5 though...

I don't know that it's all that different than in Type 1. In both formats they can lose horribly to say: Welder MUD, Stompy, Food Chain Goblins, Fish, Dragon, etc. Would they even notice the difference?

M

mythosx

Probably not. I agree with you oversoul. I think even I would have a hard time surviving in 1.5 competitivly and I am no slouch. A mix of not having cards and a lack of expierence would definetly cause most newbies to drop out. Since most of the top decks go off and do things regardless anything that is on the board, it is almost the punching bag league. Either you are the puncher or the punchee. Being hte punchee is no fun at all.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So like I said earlier, maybe they should try Extended if they have fairly recent cards like Odyssey which are rotating out of Standard but don't want to make the huge jump to Type 1 or 1.5...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Except that Extended is, after all, the infamous format where they actually banned Dark Ritual...

And they recently pushed the absurdity further by banning Ancient Tomb as well, if I remember correctly...