Onslaught card and mechanic revealed

T

train

Absolute denial is complete BS...

I guess you could say I'm in "Absolute Denial" blue would become so strong...

B

BigBlue

Yeah, those cards are BS, someone's dream cards and they hope that if they post them they'll come true. . .

Now, A TRUE "Absolute Denial" wouldn't be out of the question:

Absolute Denial - Rare

Instant - 1UUU

~this~ can't be countered.
Counter target spell.

I don't think so, Tim. or, perhaps . . .
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

I don't think they'd print this either, but it'd be more believable than "counter all spells on the stack, not including ~this~"

Talk about your weak cards, I like the 2/2 goblin for 3R which "allows" you to concede. Like you need him out to scoop. Might as well be:

Useless Goblin - Common

Creature Goblin - 1R 0/1

When ~this~ comes into play your opponent may concede.

So inept we almost didn't bother.

edit to correct some formatting and add flavor text.

I

Istanbul

That site is obviously the known cards, mixed in with some halfway playable garbage and some crap that's OBVIOUSLY fake.

The key to a good lie is that it must be something that COULD be true, but is not. These aren't good lies.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I quote one of the cards listed:

Seagull Zombie - 2UB
Creature - Zombie Bird
Flying
Seagull Zombie can't be blocked except by black and/or artifact creatures.
[probably some additional ability]
1/1
"A pain before AND after death"

What is this?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Thought Plunder : 1BB Sorcery, Uncommon
Each opponent chooses and discards a card. For each card discarded in this way, you may pay 1 life and draw a card.
And this one was just a guess on the part of a random person, if I remember correctly.

Oh well.

M

Mikeymike

Ugh, I'm just going stay away from the speculation from now on seeing that I'm not at all good at it.

B

BigBlue

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
And this one was just a guess on the part of a random person, if I remember correctly.

Oh well.
Actually, while the exact wording and such wasn't revealed, it came from that Ask the Wizards thing on mtg.com.

N

NorrYtt

I hope playing a 2/2 creature Morphed for 3 is an ability of Morph creatures, and therefore is uncounterable by most blue spells. I am all for random nerfs to blue such as a whole mechanic that is uncounterable (much akin to how Flashback nerfs counterspells).

It would also be cool for something like

Morphable Sex Monkey 1GG
Creature - Ape

When ~this~ comes into play, destroy target artifact.
Morph G
2/2

If your opponent has an artifact, just drop this for 1GG. If they don't have an artifact, play it Morphed, then unmorph it (not sure which is which) when they drop an artifact. This assumes that morphing triggers comes into play abilities.

Another twist is to have fatties with drawbacks, but you can morph them for a big surprise and after the drawback won't matter, like

MorphingDerelor 3B
Creature - Thrull
Morph B
Black spells you play cost an additional B.
4/4

It might not be great to drop Derelor on 4th turn, but you can instead drop him morphed and later unmorph him (killing an Elephant by surprise) and after your hand is empty of black spells.

Also...

From the looks of things, morph creatures promise to totally screw up combat with "you should have blocked me" and "you shouldn't have blocked me" creatures. Imagine having to fight a R/G deck full of these things. Is his guy huge? Will I lose my blocker anyway? Does he have burn? Does he have pump?

T

train

I believe the morph will be able to be countered - it's really just like an alternate play cost card... "instead of... you may..." which still puts it on the stack...

Also if morphing is the standard "illusionary mask" it won't trigger comes into play abilities... the creature is already in play... phyrexian dreadnought for example...

The one thing morph will do is allow you to cast cards from your hand if you do not have the correct colored mana to do so... You should then, not be able to be color-hosed...

Also, you're right NorrYtt it will make for some serious combat decisions...

Also if someone deeds for 0 - to kill tokens, morphs etc... you can save them by morphing them, then their CMC is not 0. That is where the morph advantage seems to be - the actual playability of the concept...

That's all the speculation for now... thanks!!!

N

NorrYtt

I suppose it's still a small nerf to counterspells, since I'm playing a 2/2 for 3 and you only have clues toward what it really is. Countermages love perfect knowledge like Telepathy.

It's kinda different because R&D is extending the imperfect knowledge zone. Your opponent's hand and library are unknown to you, but once they play a spell, it becomes known.

When they play a morphed creature, you still don't know have perfect knowledge. Well, you know it's one of the 25 creatures in magic with Morph, but how about something like:

Cloaking Carapace 2
Artifact
2, Tap: Choose a creature card in your hand. Until end of turn, you may play that card as though it had Morph. If you do, it gains 'Morph X' permanently where X is equal to that card's mana cost.