Onslaught card and mechanic revealed

R

rkoelsch

Smother is a morph killer all thesed morphed cards running around will make this better

I

Istanbul

Oh, good.

The new Ball Lightning...oh, excuse me, Ball Lightning PLUS because it's even bigger on the front than before...has morph.

*sigh*

BTW, I know it's sort of off-topic, but...nyeah nyeah, yet ANOTHER way MTGO is superior to RL Magic.

User: "my oppoanint play a land as a moprh creacher"
Adept: "No, he didn't."
User: "yes he did he cheetid"
Adept: "No, he didn't."
User: "how do u no"
Adept: "Because he CAN'T."

N

Notepad

nyeah nyeah, yet ANOTHER way MTGO is superior to RL Magic.
LOL! No cheating at all possible. All the "but Morph gives a good way to cheat" stuff goes out the window there. May just make me finally give up IRL Magic. ;)

Lotus Mox, where did your info come from? If you didn't see the Sideboard mag, how do you know about it? I'm willing to believe the ability is real now, that is...if the evidence is substantial.

M

Mikeymike

There will be a card called Thought Plunder, which is likely black, and supposedly causes opponents to discard and is more powerful in a multiplayer format.
Wonderful. Nothing I like better than MP discard decks. [/sarcasm]

T

train

R&D could bring things like Necro back, and instead they bring us Thought Plunder. With threshhold around - you don't want most of your opponents discarding...

I was Hymn to Tourach-ed 3 times in a row - Genesis, 2-Rootwallas, Battle Screech, and 1 Roar of the wurm and a nantuko monastery hit the graveyard. Well, I madnessed the Rootwallas.

My opponent immediately sideboarded out his discard spells for the second game. OBC vs. 1.5 was nasty - and they think it won't be nasty in II.

L

Lotus Mox

You forgot to mention that Thought Plunder has the added benefit of drawing you a card for each one discarded by your opponents, which makes it much better than simple discard effects in multiplayer.

M

Mikeymike

You forgot to mention that Thought Plunder has the added benefit of drawing you a card for each one discarded by your opponents, which makes it much better than simple discard effects in multiplayer.
Where did you see that Mr. Inside Info? I'm starting to wonder who Lotus Mox gets his paychecks signed by... :D.

N

Notepad

I think its just that dang Sideboard magazine. Friggen thing is only given out to Level 1+ judges or something, and those judges hand them out to their players.

It's so great they mail them out to all registered DCI members so they know what the heck is going on, and get the benefit of previews. Oh wait! They don't...

L

Lotus Mox

Thought Plunder was revealed in one of the first Magicthegathering.com articles. It also mentioned that Onslaught* will contain a healthy number of cards designed for multiplayer.

The 3 Onslaught cards are from the mtgnews.com Rumor Mill :)

*actually the article didn't say Onslaught, but next years standalone, and was shown very early this year (it's unclear which year it was written), so it might be actually the main set after Onslaught which contains Thought Plunder.

L

Lotus Mox

here's the Ask Wizards which told us about Thought Plunder:

January 7, 2002

Q: "Since Magic Online looks to have a nice multiplayer capability, do you believe that there will be a boom in multiplayer Magic? If so, do you see future sets being designed with that in mind?"
--Will Reiffer, DeSoto, MO

A: From Bill Rose, head of Research & Development:
"Many Magic players are already playing multi-player Magic. So, while many on Magic Online will play multi-player Magic, I don't think there will necessarily be a 'boom' in multi-player play. There will just be a lot of it in Magic Online.

"Actually, Wizards R&D has been designing and developing Magic cards with multi-player in mind for the last couple of years. Now we evaluate a card's potential in both two-player and multi-player. Next year's block does have an increased number of cards designed primarily for multi-player play. Next year's stand-alone currently contains a card called 'Thought Plunder' that reads: 'Each opponent discards a card from his or her hand. You draw a card for each card discarded this way.' Now there's a card for Grand Melee."

N

Notepad

Hmm, that "next year's block" is so friggen ambiguous...

I hope they mean Onslaught. I know my brother and I will be enjoying that card a lot when it comes out. :D

P

Purple_jester

Thought Plunder would rule right along with Congregate. It sounds like it's blue-black. Card drawing and discard combined in one card has always been blue-black...

B

BigBlue

yeah, just add megrim and the other *opponents discard a card* card. then you can add washout for even more fun. (washout is my friends' least favorite card).

M

Mikeymike

Q on Thought Plunder to those who've seen the jist of it:

Is it a sorcery/permanent that causes the opponents to draw cards and the owner to discard or is it like Megrim in that whenever someone discards a card the owner draws?

Option one scares me, unless they attach it to a hard to play card like Fungal Shambler. Oh well, I'll find out soon enough

F

FoundationOfRancor

lol, I wouldnt believe much at the link. One of the cards has a quote from ertai, and another lets you concede.

M

Mikeymike

I'm not saying they are real or not, but I think they are fairly well constructed.

Beyond that, as stupid as the concession card is it wouldn't be the first time a seemingly pointless horrible card was printed. Well, maybe not this bad...

Some of them are very interesting, while some are too powerful. My thinking is that there is some truth as well as a decent amount of BS.