Onslaught card and mechanic revealed

F

FoundationOfRancor

I dont understand why the Morph cost is 2R, and the reminder text says its 3 to colorless activate it.

Either way, its a cool ability, with lots of room to explore.Reminds me of Penumbra and Kicker mixed together.

L

Lotus Mox

It costs 3 to play it face down from your hand (I'm pretty sure all morph cards are identical (2/2's for 3) when they're face down) and 2R to flip it over.

If there are enough Morph creatures (or even other Morph cards) this mechanic will be huge (esp. in Limited where you always at least are able to cast some grey ogres if your color screwed), cause you never know what to expect.

Counter that grey ogre, which might morph into something as irrelevant as a 1/2 with protection from red? Block it with a 6/6 at the risk that it suddenly morphs into a 7/7?

Just look at the card which was handed out at a dutch PTQ (the one attached in the 1st post), it's a creature you'd want to block, so you can be certain that there are cards you wouldn't want to block too, like a Basilisk Morpher e.g.

C

Chaos Turtle

Wow. Stuff like this will really reward the player who has a thorough knowledge of the cards in a set.

Also, I feel sorry for the judges at the Onslaught Prereleases. ;)

A

Apollo

Yeah... What happens if it attacks and it's time to resolve combat damage and the like? Wouldn't the thing have to be revealed to find out what happens? But what if the 2R cost isn't paid? It would be flipped over for free, right?

S

Sammy Dead-O

I, for one, am kinda excited. This looks like a fun mechanic. I'm still a little unsure of whether or not you'll have to reveal the card when you play it, even if you're playing it as a colorless 2/2. I'm guessing that you don't reveal it, though. This makes me a little concerned about folks trying to cheat, but that can be dealt with fairly easily.

This is especially cool for red and black. If they get some decent creatures that also morph, then they have a card with a built-in ability to avoid CoPs, pro-color creatures and such. And with these problems coming from white, there's the added bonus that this colorless threat can't be disenchanted. Nice.

There are a ton of possibilities for this mechanic.

Plus...Goblins are back!!! Now, what about elves and fish? (The Ambassador notwithstanding...)

S

sageridder

Further proof that R&D smokes crack.They got rid of banding and trample because they were too confusing for new players,then come up with this?I think I get how it would work but then again we are all speculating here,a colorless nonartifact nonland creature option that almost cheats it into play.If you didn't have the right mana mix to play it straight just pay it generic and face down, gonna be a nightmare for the poor underpaid judges.Hopefully this mechanic is for creatures only or the set has some kind of mechanic against as well.Is it only me or does this remind anyone else of that kids cartoon Yu-Gi-Oh?I truly don't know what to think yet but I but a lot of confusion will be caused by this.

N

Notepad

FAKE!!!

Wow, just WAY too fake looking for my tatses. Where did this image come from? MagicSur? One of those other sites that gets leaks? If so, I'd be more willing to believe it. Since it doesnt appear to have come from there, I'll just bash this whole thing as a FAKE!

Face down cards? The gist behind the mechanic is pretty neat, but damn that is just way too hokey to believe. Sounds like Wyvern. Also sounds for like an all-out nightmare for play of any type.

E

EricBess

Hmmm... First of all, the way everyone is looking at this, there is a lot of potential for abuse. It's possible that every morph creature starts out as a 2/2. That would seem like a minor ability rather than a major ability for a set simply because the number of options is suddenly limited to things that could be 2/2. As someone mentioned, I suppose the morph cost for some creatures could actually be higher than the casting cost and the creature quite large. I would imagine the cost would need to be high because otherwise, why would anyone not use the morph.

Now, Apollo, the card specifically says it is a 2/2. It isn't a Goblin or whatever until the Morph cost is paid, so there are no combat tricks without mana. No having to turn it over to see what it really is because until it is turned over, it really is a 2/2 vanilla creature.

The potential for abuse if everything is a 2/2 is to make sure that everyone is actually playing morph creatures by the time the game is over. Hey, I have extra land in my hand, what will I do with it? I'll put it in play as a 2/2 creature and hope that no one ever sees that it's really just a land. Granted, this is pretty blatant if found, but I'm sure I can come up with some excuse...Um, grabbed the wrong card, sorry...

If they are not all 2/2 creatures, the potential for abuse is obviously larger.

Interestingly, it appears that the face-down version is colorless and has absolutely no creature type, but isn't an artifact, either. That alone might make it worth more than the face-up version against some decks.

Still, we haven't seen the FAQ yet, so we are jumping to a lot of conclusions, also. If there are only 2/2's for 3, then I think that the mechanic may act the way we've been suspecting. If there are other types, then I suspect that you need to reveal the card to your opponent before putting it in play upside down.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Maybe there will be cards that let you flip over your opponent's unmorphed creatures...
...otherwise the DCI Banned List will get a lot bigger.

G

Gizmo

Id assume thats a real card. The wording on the ability isnt too complicated.

C

Chaos Turtle

I would say that you obviously wouldn't have to reveal it to anyone at all before playing it. The whole point of the ability seems to be to mask the true nature of the creature.

In tournaments, you surely have the right to have a judge verify that a creature is in fact one with "morph" if you have reason to suspect cheating, and that you have the right at the end of a game to see all cards that were played face-down.

Misrepresenting a card as being one with "morph" would earn you at least a game loss.

While the card is face-down, it is a 2/2 with no ablities. You don't have to flip it face up until you pay the morph cost, which is an ability that would be played when instants are legal.

In the Skirk Commando example, you'd attack with your generic 2/2, and if it's unblocked, you can pay the cost to flip it before damage resolves. As long as it's face-up when damage resolves, its ability will trigger (assuming your opponent has a targetable creature).

I would be surprised if there would be morph creatures that could be played as anything other than 2/2 for 3, since this could easily become confusing with multiples in play, and could make verifying that the proper cost was paid if it's flipped several turns after coming into play.

It's a good ability that will make limited play (at least) pretty interesting, with players having to take into account the possible consequences of letting generic creatures through unblocked.

I'd guess that this is an ability that would be shared with other colors, and there is probably a cycle of 2/1's with various combat-damage triggers.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I'd recognize a fake if it was one...I've used Dante Card maker so much, I know what they look like.

I

Istanbul

It's neither unbelievable nor broken.
Makes for neat tricks, too. "Okay. You don't block the guy? I'll pay 2R to morph him...oh look, he's gonna hit the guy who COULD have blocked him too."
Expect to see a new floor rule to prevent cheating: 'At the end of any game, any player may ask his opponent to turn any face-down cards face-up."
As with any other ability, its power will depend on the power of the cards that have it.
Finally, remember that this set is a month and a half away...we know very little about its overall structure. Don't fear yet.

A

Almindhra

I will tell you that that card most likely isn't fake...When I went to Origins I was playing Wiz's demos and when I was playing the Magic one I was tlaking a lot with the guy from Wiz's...He told me about this mechanic exactly as it is there...

I was going to post that I found out about it, but I'm too lazy.....

E

EricBess

I have to say that I agree with CT. I think that all morph creatures will be 2/2 for 3 when played upside down. I mentioned earlier that I think this limits what you can use them for, but the more I think about it, the more I think that you still have enough variety.

After all, if they have the mana to turn a 2/2 creature into a 0/4 wall (for cheap), or to turn a 2/2 creature into the listed card. Or perhaps if they have a lot of mana open, the 2/2 could turn itself into a 6/6 beast...Do you really want to block? Or maybe you really need to...

I think this could be a lot of fun. But in order to not have to show the card, I think they all need to be the same to start with.

Concerning the big cards. It's easier to kill a 2/2 than a 6/6, so there is an incentive to hold it and cast it later, too.

All things considered, the fact that BoP made it into 8th is going to make this set very interesting because you may not even know the color. After all, if I don't have a BoP in play, I can still use it as a 2/2 colorless creature instead of a black creature in my mono-green deck ;)

P

Purple_jester

I like the new mechanic. The sample card's a common, too. Looks like we're gonna see a lot of gray ogres in Limited play.

T

train

It's a built in illusionary mask... that's cool enough for me...

and yes, i feel sorry for pre-release judges...

R

rkoelsch

i was looking at mtg and wizards talking about this mechanic and a lot are saying it is too different. Hello. can we say split card? I think it is a fairly manageable mechanic. Besides aren't Magic players the smartest people in the world;) , they should be able to handle it.