OnBC: NON-slide R/W

R

Rakamir

Credit for the deck's design is given at StarCity coverage to Adrian Sullivan and I believe Brian Kowal, and unless you are either of the above, I believe you should take a stand for having started the discussion first. Most amazing to me is that the player, Bob Maher, didn't even playtest before the tournament - was essentially handed a deck and ran with it. The finals are already being hailed as one of the best matches ever in the history of Magic, and indeed there are two separate articles written at Star City by two different writers, one standing behind Maher and one behind Gene Harvey. They should be required reading. Here they are:

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandevent.php?Article=5371

and

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandevent.php?Article=5372

Train what is your first name (it would be too much to hope to ask for a second), and do you really live in Texas? The reason I ask is that if I write an article, I'd like to refer to you as something other than a mode of transportation in lower case, unless that's what you want.

Thanks,
Greg

R

Rakamir

Top 8 ended up like this:

3 Slide (finalist, semifinalist, quarterfinalist)
2 Goblins (both quarterfinalists)
1 MWC (quarterfinalist)
1 Non- Slide RW (CHAMPION)
1 Form of the Dragon MonoRed Control "Bad Form" (semifinalist)

I like my cheese on my crackers, not in my game. I am very happy to see Goblins die many unholy deaths, and fervently wish for the deck to go away. It won't, cuz kids love em, but if I have to beat a child, then that is what I'll do.

DIE, Goblins, DIE !!!!!
(not that I'm opinionated, or anything)
:)

R

Rakamir

OK, thanks, I'll have to check my PM, not sure how, but I'll figure it out ... it doesn't come to my e-mail.

Anyway, the following prose from Maher's quarterfinal match by The Ferrett is priceless, and instructive of what a deck like this is capable of doing. Enjoy:

"Just like last game, Maher Decreed at the end of Starleaf's turn - not quite for infinite men, but six is enough. On his turn, Maher judged he had enough of an edge and cycled not Decree of Justice, but Decree of Annihilation, annihilating all lands, doing two to Starleaf with Lightning Rift and Oblating his Angel.

"Let me state that again: In the same turn, Maher destroyed everyone's lands, removed all blockers, and shot two at Starleaf's face.

"He could have probably kicked him in the nads and it would have hurt less. You could almost hear the announcer's voice go off, fighting-game style: Power play! "

... The Ferrett

R

Rakamir

With many people shamelessy netdecking Mahers' Detroit Champ deck, a deck that must have avoided Zombie Bidding at Detroit to do well, others have turned to Bidding to defeat RW Control, and been successful, at e-league.

Minor possible tweaks to improve the Maher deck:

-2 or 3 Renewed Faith
+2 or 3 Exalted Angel

or
-1 Lightning Rift -4 Renewed Faith
+1 Astral Slide +4 Exalted Angel

Granted, you have to hardcast Angel vs Goblins these days, but Bidding is one of the few decks against which you can actually pull off the 3cc-facedown-WW2-faceup thing.

I have no idea if this makes RW Control better or worse, though I tend to think so. Only playtesting will tell for sure. Neither Gobbos or Bidding like RAKAvolver's monocolored little cousin.