Official Mirrodin Hate Topic

R

Reverend Love

It wouldn't be as explosive. Instead of 2 turn hand drops we'd see 3rd turn. But the inherit brokenness of affinity would remain intact.

It's like playing trix. It doesn't really matter how skillfully you play, nor how lucky you draw. It's simply your opponent playing solitaire with you spectating.

Affinity wins games it has no buisness winning.

M

Mikeymike

Have you ever tried Affinity without the lands? Its is a fun, but completely unspectacular deck. I had this debate with a buddy as to what made it so good, so to prove my point I replaced all of his artifact lands with corresponding basics.

The premise still worked, but it wasn't nearly as explosive. You have to pay actual mana to get Enforcers into play, and Thoughtcast out of your hand, the Disciple/Ravager damage lost a lot due to the missing lands (4 lands was 8+ damage usually), and Cranial Plating on Thopters wasn't nearly as impressive.

I have a WW-Equip deck that was OK against it, but often lost. After taking out those lands I routinely smoked Affinity.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
To be fair, just taking out the artifact lands and replacing them with basics would possibly weaken the deck more than allowing the whole thing to be built from scratch with a lack of artifact lands taken into account...

M

Mikeymike

Oversoul said:
To be fair, just taking out the artifact lands and replacing them with basics would possibly weaken the deck more than allowing the whole thing to be built from scratch with a lack of artifact lands taken into account...
I think you are correct, but I still feel the lands are what really gives Affinity its completely reliable explosiveness. Also, even if you were to build that no-artifact-land Affinity from scratch I think you'd still have far less effective deck than typical Affinity...though it would likely be better than typical Affinity w/o the lands.