New Message-Board RPG!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Rando, Sep 26, 2000.

  1. Rando Freaky Bear

    Hello there.

    1 Remember that you make up your own equipment and powers, but don't go overboard. (no nautical pun intended)

    2 Please do not carry events too far by yourself. After posting what you would like to do, please what for me to post the results.

    3 You may speak in 1st or 3rd person.

    4 Please refer to the other players by there characters names. I will speak to you by your character name.

    5 If you have a question for the GM, please include it in your post, but seperate it with an asterix (*) or with brackets ([]).
    Please disable your signitures, and let's begin...

    The crisp briney air of the Western Sea blows gently across the bridge of the good ship Titan.

    Captain Archibald Hedgeway paces back and forth from stem to stern, eyeing his crew and the passengers he has taken on board. He was a big man in his middle years. The first thing one would notice was the short, tapering spike that served as a left hand. The second thing was the maze-work of scars that covered the old salty dog's grey-bearded face.

    It has been 3 weeks at sea, and few on the boat are in good humors. All were more then ready to get to land.
    Several of the sailors gather together on deck and roll dice, hooting and shouting with the results of their gambling games and trying hard to hide thier bottle of whiskey from the captain.
    Most of the civilion passangers grouped together by the port railing, some throwing up, others actually enjoying the air.

    There are no more then 12 all together on board, sailors and passangers. Few people are willing to pack up everything in the comfort and security of the Mother Land for this strange new place. The captian looked them all over, shaking his head. It would cost him at least half of the fares he was charging just to pay his crew. He wished that he had just stayed at home, for there was no proffit in this trip. At least not for him.

    The look-out for the ship slid down a rope from the crow's nest and scampered over to the captain. The young boy was skinny from poor nutrition and stank from 3 weeks without a bath. The paying passangers may get extra bathing water in thier cabins, but the captain was one to save expenses as much as possible.
    "Land ho sir." the look-out said. "An hour yet, maybe more, but I do indeed see land sir."
    "Very good Johny." said the captain. "Head back up and watch for rocks. I hear that the Port of Newnlin is quite trecherous."
    Captain Hedgeway walked to the center of the main deck and took a brass whistle from his breast pocket. Blowing it loudly, he then cleared his throat and began to speak when all an the ship had gathered to hear him.
    "We shall reach port in about an hour. Go to your cabins and gather your things for departure."
    The captain tucked the whistle back into his sir-coat and turned towards the cabins, walking away from his passengers while muttering something about taxes and ticket costs.

    (you are now all gathered on the deck of the ship Titan. It is a large ship with passenger cabins top-side and crew cabins down below. There are eight cannons all together, and the main sail bears the coat-of-arms of the House of Andronicus, a powerful family that holds much influence back in the old world. None of you have any idea of any conection between Captain Hedgeway and the family Andronicus, but you really have not thought much of it. Please take this time to inroduce your characters to each other as you mill about the ship, preparing to go to land.)
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    * Thradin D'or Chakka [GM: note name change here if you haven't already] sidles up to Kyriani since she happens to be the closest of the two beauties and a fellow passenger to boot *

    "Um, did you know your sword is canted at the wrong angle? And that you're wearing it wrong? Here, let me help ya... "

    :D

    * If the next post by the GM is that the boat docks, I also grab my things in the intervening hour and get ready to disembark *
  3. Rando Freaky Bear

    An FYI while milling about the ship.
    the people on board are:
    PC's
    Buzz, a human
    Kyriani, human
    Almindhra, halfling
    Jonathan, Huamn
    Volradon, human
    Bob, Human
    Thradin, dwarf.
    NPC's
    Captain Hedgeway
    Johny, the look-out
    4 random sailors.
  4. Whimsical Adorable Sliver

    <glares at the dwarf, batting his hand away> You've been SAYING that for three weeks now! For three weeks ... "Your sword is in the wrong angle. You're not wearing it right. You're holding it wrong." Well, I say phooey! <briefly sticks tongue out at Chakka before leaning out on the railing, brushing hair aside> Go back to playing with your warhammers and axes, little man. I, Kyriani Riadan, youngest daughter of the house Riadan have no more time to waste on you! <waves him away with a dismissive gesture>

    *will try to fend off the dwarf until the boat docks, and enjoy the view of the harbor until then* :)
  5. Rando Freaky Bear

    To everyone -
    The port of Newnlin is set in the center of two rows of huge jagged rocks that pop up from the sea like rotted teath. The isle that Newnlin is on is large, and not all of it has been explored yet. It is a green, warm land filled with trees and streams, vines and mist. You can smell the combined reek of millions of strange brightly colored flowers come off the land and drift to sea. You can see many strange birds circle over the small town of Newnlin, some seeming to be larger then you. The port-way goes inbetween the rocks and bends into a deep, safe harbor at the docks of Newnlin, your destination.

    (please mill some more. it's still a while until you can dock.)
  6. Whimsical Adorable Sliver

    OOC: Will mill, mister GM sir! :)

    IC: <holds the sea-breeze caressing the hair pose for a few moments longer for the benefit of the crew, then sidles up to the captain>

    Why, hello there, Captain! <bats eyelashes> Is there anything about that big ole' city you can tell about to little ole' me? <gives a sweet smile> I would sure appreciate any information a macho sailor such as you can give... <smiles some more while thinking "Gawd, he needs a bath! Gawd ... I need a bath!">
  7. Rando Freaky Bear

    To Kyriani -
    The captain looks you over as he turns to you. He then takes a little tin flask from his pocket and takes a swig. Offering you a drink, he says "Nay little missey. I've not been to this port before. I hear that the city it's self is a haven in a savage land that is over run by mad cannible natives and strange, foul beasts." He winks at you and gets a little closer. "If ye be afraid deary, I'd be happy to serve as your protector."
    He holds the flask to you and waits for a response.
  8. Whimsical Adorable Sliver

    Savage land? <gasp and waves away the flask with a smile> Mad cannibal natives? <more gasps> Strange, foul beasts? <gasp, gasp, gasp> At last! <eyes go all sparkly>

    Finally! My chance to make it big as a famous adventuress and champion swordswoman! <moves a bit to avoid the smelly captain's pawing, and to distance herself from the smell>

    <strikes a pose with arm raised> I, Kyriani Riadan, youngest daughter of the house Riadan will succeed in this holy quest! Hahahahahahahahaha!

    <turns to the captain> Never fear, my good man! I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself in this savage land! You should not fear for me! Rather, fear for the puny natives and monsters for they shall soon taste the steel of Kyriani Riadan! Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    * Thradin quickly decides that Kyriani must be as flighty as they get, especially with such a BLATANT attempt to kissyassy :rolleyes: :D *

    * turns to Almindhra, the only other non-human *

    "So are you about as glad to get off this boat as I am?"
  10. Killer Joe Active Member

    Buzz walks by the Captian while having a conversation with Kyriani and after he's about ten feet away turns around and sceams:
    "Hey Cap'n! Any REAL women on that island or do I have to settle for miss twinky here and her band of weirdo's?"
    <did I forget to mention that 'Buzz' has sarcastic humor?>
    Buzz really is lonely inside and wishes he could've said some more sauve like: "Hello Captian, I hope our stay on this island is as plesent as your guests." or some crap like that.
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    * Thradin looks at Buzz in askance (is that the proper usage? :) and is wondering who exactly is he referring to *
  12. Pseudonym New Member

  13. Melkor Active Member

    Jonathan passes Kyriani during her comments about the natives tasting her steel, winces and continues on with whatever odd job he is performing.

    (Less of a real action post and more of a "I acknowledge that the RPG has begun and will participate" post.)
  14. Rando Freaky Bear

    To Buzz -
    The captain turns to you and says, "Aye, I'd think there be plenty of women for ya ye randy dog! Ha ha! Tis a port town after all, and we all know the scoundral reputations of sailors! Perhaps you and me can go to the taverns and bars together and scrape up a willing female or two. Aye, that'd be grand after a long trip at sea."
    The captain takes out his flask again and has another swig. He offers you some and says, "Well, what say ye?"
  15. Rando Freaky Bear

    To Jonathan -
    (not to be confused with johny the look-out boy)
    The captain yells in your direction "Prepare the anchor and lower the sails. We be in port soon so move your arse and look alive!" Captain Hedgeway then goes back to making nice nice with the passengers.
  16. Whimsical Adorable Sliver

    <glares at the loudmouth> Humph! You, sir, wouldn't know a REAL woman if she flung herself at you! Miss Twinky indeed. What do I look like? An airhead?! <stalks off towards the prow of the ship, calling behind her> And that was a rhetorical question!!!

    <notices the Winter's wince> Humph. This ship is full of peons unable to appreciate my grandeur! <continues stalking off towards the prow>

    OOC: Gawd. This is why they call this role-playing, I guess. <laughs> Kyriani's only 17 and she's from a rich family. <smiles and shrugs> I think I got the attitude down pat... :D

    Misc: "Thradin looked at Buzz in askance." ... correct usage of the word askance drops in ... i.e., "Thradin looked at Buzz askance." That concludes our English lesson for today... ;)

    GM Auto-pilot: I'll be turning in soon ... so Kyriani will mostly be sulking on the prow until the ship docks. Then she'll argue incessantly with the innkeepers for "decent" (luxurious is more like it) boarding. G'night, y'all! :)

    [Edited by Whimsical on September 26th, 2000 at 01:51 PM]
  17. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    * Thradin is now totally baffled, having construed Buzz's comment to be directed towards Almindhra, being a halfling and all *

    * chalks up Kyriani's outburst to youth and wonders how the heck she's gonna make it on mainland, especially with her sword still canted the wrong way... ;) *

    Edit comment: Ah, I thank thee for thy grammar lesson... ;)

    [Edited by Spiderman on September 26th, 2000 at 02:56 PM]
  18. Melkor Active Member

    Jonathan goes about his tasks stoically, lowering the sails and preparing to drop anchor as soon as the captain gives the word.

    (I thought I'd do something different but now I know why I don't like playing the silent type. Being boisterous is so much more fun. I'll see where this leads though.)
  19. Bob Idiot

    Bob comes out of his cabin to see a Captain, a dwarf, a halfling, a boy, and some other characters.
    He sees the captain looking at the land.
    He walks over to him and asks if land is close.
  20. Rando Freaky Bear

    To Bob-
    The captain throws a drunken arm around your shoulder and gazes off towards shore.
    "Aye me matey, we be touching land soon. Then we shall have women and song at the inn! I've yet to find a drinkin' partner, son. Will ye help an old man out by guiding me from one bar to the next, least I fall into the gutter and drown in me own puke! Ha ha ha ha..." Captain Hedgeway seems to find what he said very funny, and continues to laugh at himself for several moments more.

    To everyone -
    The ship makes it's slow way up the channel towards the port at Newnlin. The huge jagged rocks that flank the ship stand well over 100 feet high and are thin and sharp-edged. Hundreds of smaller rocks poke out of the water only a few feet. These suround the larger ones, seeming to all gather in worship at their larger cousins feet. You all can see strange birds make thier nests in the cracks and crags of these stones.
    Looking out towards the docks of Newnlin, you all notice that you can not see any people on the docks or in the city. You are still quite a distance away though, and few on the ship think anything of it.

Share This Page