New Mercadian Masques cards

N

nekrataal

Hey, I haven't commented a huge amount on the new cards so lets give the newest release a shot...

-------
Uphill Battle 2 <font color="red">R</font>
Enchantment
Creatures your opponents play come into play tapped.
-------

I think this card could be useful in some control lock decks, but for red? I sure hope that red will start to take a much slower control style play with MM instead of the aggressive kill style that it was during Rath. I think the Wildfire decks of recent have already begun to go that way. Anyway, if anyone knows of a way to fit this into a prison type deck for Type II, please discuss.

-nekrataal
"OMG, he finally posted!"

G

God

Charisma states 'gain control of that creature as long as charisma is in play' therefore I think that Flicker would reset it.
theorgg: Don't knock Flicker, its an extremely versatile card, I've built a deck around it, Black/White with lots of 'When *** comes into play...' cards and Recurring Nightmares. Nekrataal & Priest of Gix become even better. Its also very good against white or blue because of the number of creature enchantments they have.

B

Baron Sengir

Okay, has anyone seen this yet?

Mercadian Atlas 5
Artifact
Rare
At the end of your turn, if you didn't play a land this turn, you may draw a card.
One may as well chart the clouds as try to map Mercadia.
Illus. Dan Frazier

Is this or is this not a late-game library of Alexandria? Yeah, it's kind of pricey at five mana but by the time you run out of land to play are you really gonna care? I see this thing getting banned or restricted reeeeal quick.

I remain
The Baron
"Let's see ... it is a ridiculously cheap way to draw cards. Broken as hell? Cool! Let's put it in the set anyway and see what happens!!!" - R&D

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...let's see: you have a Masticore in play, but no cards in hand and you still want to play spells - what do you do?

Play the 'Atlas and your problems are solved...

-ferret

"...amazing how many cards work w/ that thing!"

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I can see it now. An R&D chat..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>&lt;RD_team&gt;Hello everyone. This is the R&D team for WotC. We're here to take your questions.

&lt;MrPot&gt;Question: What do you guys smoke when you develop the cards and playtest 'em? And where can I get some?

&lt;RD_team&gt;MrPot: If you mean that we create unbalanced cards and don't playtest them enough, we resent that. We develop perfectly balanced cards. I mean, all the playtesters thought Masticore sucked, that's why we gave it regeneration.

&lt;Timmy&gt;Hi! Timmy Power Gamer here. Can you send me 4 black lotuses, 4 masticores, and 4 charismas so I can finish my deck?

&lt;RD_team&gt;Timmy: We don't understand why you need those cards. Masticore and Charisma is not a combo.

&lt;GreenMachine&gt;Why is blue so good now? And why does all the green in MM suck?

&lt;RD_team&gt;GreenMachine: Blue is not so good. We still don't understand why people are using charisma and bribery. And we're sorry about sneaking good green cards into the Urza Block. We've always tried to make green suck, but there was a rogue R&D member designing green cards in UB. He has since been fired. Green will suck again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-mike
Umm...no quote.

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm, sounds like the topic of an article: Green, the casual colour...

-ferret

"...and Blue, colour of WINNERS!"