New Mercadian Masques cards

N

nekrataal

I too have no comment as of yet on the cards.
I'm just wondering what my message will look like.

<font color="green">-nekrataal</font>

"The guy who posted for no real reason..."

B

Baron Sengir

This place keeps looking better and better. Good job, Ed. I am quite impressed. Now if I can just get Mr. Doust to get ahold of us, I'll be a happy camper. How long until we transfer the site to the www.casualplayers.org site?

On the more relevant note, Has anyone seen this Pangosaur card? Someone tell me a good use for this thing.

I remain
The Baron
We're in this together ... Kick ass!

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
For anyone that hasn't seen Pangosaur, here it is:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Pangosaur 2WW
Creature - Lizard 6/6
Rare
Whenever a player plays a land, return Pangosaur to its owner's hand.
Only Rushwood is vast enough to swallow this creature whole.
Illus. Mark Tedin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uses: not many. The only thing I can see it being used for is an armegeddon lure, and it isn't that good at that either. I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere.

If it said "Whenever a player plays a land, return Pangosaur to its owner's hand." that's one thing. Especially against creatureless decks..

About the board: Glad everyone likes the enhancements, I think I might try and implement signatures since that shouldn't be too hard. I tried to add editing posts, but it just wouldn't work. If I can figure out cookies, I'll add that, but it's doubtful.

-mike
Here we come Mr. Doust!

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Oops! This part should have been:

If it said "Whenever a player plays a creature, return Pangosaur to its owner's hand." that's one thing. Especially against creatureless decks..

And another thing, do we still have someone watching email?

-mike

D

Dune Echo

Uh, about Pangosaur... You know, this card just screams red/white Sneak Attack deck with alot of lands. One land returns ALL Pangosaurs. Find a way to give them trample or something and this could be a nice alternative to Weatherseed Treefolk. Not quite as easily killed. However, how often does white have trample on a GOOD creature?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I didn't even think of Sneak Attack, which is definately a good use for it, except that you would basically need a land every turn to keep using it. And, as Child touched on, it doesn't have trample. Although it would be a good thing to sneek after a hellion. Personally, I feel Weatherseed Treefolk are superior.

-mike
Not that many/any people are going to use it, but I almost got signatures working.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, they changed Pangosaur on us again. Now it's a green creature, and it's drawback is activated on a land entering play, not a creature. I think you're right, by the way. In an extremely limited way it sort of works w/Sneak Attack, but there are better choices to Sneak, I think.

And Ferret, you're right in that it's pretty rare for the DCI to ban creatures, though they did it in Extended with Kird Ape, Hypnotic Specter, Serendib Effreet, and Juggernaut (though they unbanned Juggs almost immediately after the announcement). That's where the whole discussion came from last winter in response to the combos, and how silly it was to ban those creatures when solitare/combos were what everyone was playing, or losing to. With the new "set rotation", this is now a moot point, however.

Masticore will be the first creature banned in Type 2 (I refuse to call it "Standard") play. I believe this. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I just wondered when, not if.

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
First off, I have no life. So I spent tonight getting signatures working. Just edit your profile (see where it says profile up top) and enter in your signature. Then when replying/posting just check the "Include Sig?" and tada!.. I know most of us won't use it, but TomB and others might. Please note that the you can't insert anything below the signature. Sorry!

TomB: I knew Pangosaur returned to its owner's hand when a land was played. I just meant it should return when a creature was played. And it being green now means it should've had trample, but oh well. I still believe there are better choices.

I'm still not sure that Masticore is going to be banned in T2. I could possibly see block, but since there won't be much UBC after MM comes out, it won't happen. Let's just put it this way: I wouldn't be suprised either way, although I lean a very small amount to the ban it side.

-mike
"I slave away at the board all day. Why? Because I have no life, of course!.. actually, I enjoy it, but that's besides the point.
"

B

Baron Sengir

I'm just <font color="red">pissed</font> that of all the commons they could reprint they chose the <font color="purple">worthless</font> Giant Caterpillar.

BTW, Ed, I'm sure I speak on behalf of the CPA when I say that we're glad you have no life.

I remain
The Baron
<font color="blue">Artiste extrordinaire </font>

Ferret

Staff member
I just want them to reprint Avoid Fate. If they could reprint Presence of the Master in Saga they can reprint a card that used to be lousy, but is now incredibly powerful!

-ferret

"Green wants equal time!"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, I guess I misunderstood your post. I didn't realize you were trying to say this is what the card SHOULD have been. It's a good idea though.

And thank you for your efforts on the BB. It's really looking great these days, and I, for one, really appreciate all your hard work. And I will use the signature feature.

Ferret, didn't we just have a discussion about Waylay, and how you thought it was out of flavor for white? Well, then how would you rationalize Avoid Fate for green? Wouldn't even limited counterspelling ability be out of flavor for green? It was my impression that that's why they took Lifeforce out of 6th.

What do you think?

TomB
CPA Member

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, the signature thing didn't work. Uh oh. Hey, I also noticed when I went back to verify the editing I did to my profile that only the first signature line was displayed. The second line was gone. Is that what you meant when you said we can't insert anything below the signature?

TomB
CPA Member

D

Dune Echo

Well, Pangosaur is now green. So, in a Sneak Attack deck, this means he can be cast rather quickly at first and then once you get Sneak Attack out in the lategame, he can be Rancored over again without summoning sickness and your opponent can't bounce him or hit him with sorceries. Of course, his cc of 4 makes Sneak Attack rather... how shall I say, useless? He's as good as Emperor Crocodile or Maro, especially in an Armageddon deck. Do you think they're trying to find as many replacements for Ernham as they can for Extended?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
ok, I think I fixed the sig code. I just forgot to convert a return (pressing enter) into HTML when you edit your bio. Should work fine, and now you can use UBB code in it.

Testing it...

-mike
<font color="green">testing 2nd
3rd
& 4th line of sig, sorry</font>

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
argh, this is beginning to annoy me. Especially because it works GREAT on PWS. And it works on the bottom of the reply form page. So I'm setting up a testing forum for me to try things.

-mike
<font color="green">testing 2nd
3rd
& 4th line of sig, sorry</font>

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Actually, that's not what I meant when I said you can't put anything under the signature. Hmm.. I look into that (I should've tested with more than just one multi-line sig
)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BTW, Ed, I'm sure I speak on behalf of the CPA when I say that we're glad you have no life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I basically broke out laughing when I saw this. Thanx for a good laugh, but I (think) I have a life. Or at least 1/2 of one.

The following is a test of the signature code. If this were a real emergency...

-mike

G

God

Is it me or is everyone missing the blindingly obvious, Pangasaur is perfect against blue - you can get it out quickly, before the blue player has time to establish themselves. Once its in play, what are they going to do? Treachery it, Charisma it? All you have to do then is play a land and they've wasted a card as it wings its way back to your hand!
With Sneak Attack it can attack every turn providing you have a land to put into play.

Another good card against the Charisma/Masticore combo is Flicker; Flicker the Masticore, Charisma falls off and you get your creatures back, all for 1W.

Now will everyone please stop moaning about how good blue is compared to the other colours, especially when they're underestimating an extremely good card!

D

Dune Echo

Actually, the card doesn't state that if Charisma is destroyed, all creatures return to their owner's control. The gain of control remains until another effect is played. At least, this is what I think. I could be wrong. Does anyone else know different?

T

theorgg

DAMMIT!

the "cookie" don't work!

I had to re-type.

oh well...

my original post was going to say:

ANOTHER USE FOR FLICKER!!

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Just a note about the cookies: You must click in another field after you type in your name/password.
Type in name, click in password.
Type in pass, click in reply/topic.
Type reply/topic.
And I just tested it, it works fine in both Netscape/MSIE for me.

Anyway...
Although not necessary, Flicker is a vital part of my Donate deck. I can always use disenchant or capsize, but Flicker puts it back in play. It is a pretty versital card, just not a tourney worthy one.

-mike
If only Flicker were an instant...