New Mercadian Masques cards

D

Dune Echo

I know that Mercadian Masques isn't even out yet, but I've seen lots of preview cards that are pretty interesting. I don't have a spoiler list or anything handy, but the new Spellshapers and new alternate casting cost cards look good. Also, the variations on white spot creature removal (Muzzle) and the CoPs are decent. So, what does everyone think so far?

Also, I've seen the rebel cards. Does anyone think that this is a viable theme?

Has anyone made a prototype deck yet from what cards we know of? I'm interested in seeing what someone comes up with in regards to the blue Spellshapers and the new alternate casting cost Inspiration (can't remember the name, I just know you return two islands to your hand instead). Think about it, with the blue Spellshapers, after you cast the new Inspiration, you'll have four cards at least in your hand. Great for the late game which is what we all want right? Tell me what you think.

And finally, here's a rumor to what the new "Cursed Scroll" MIGHT be like.

XXXXXXX 2 or 3cc
Artifact
Discard a card, T: XXXXXXX deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

This is just a rumor with no true proof or support, so don't go off on me. It fits the Spellshaper theme though. It might be a creature. I don't really know. Might be a good card with card with Recycle, Baron. IF IT EXISTS, I know.

B

Baron Sengir

Check out the new circle of protection at the Dojo. It is quite kick ass and may even see some maindeck play, IMO.

I remain
The Baron
Cycle this, pal!

T

theorgg

the blue card is BROKEN!
I cannot believe they mad it!

and as for the scroll, I was told on dojo chat by a whispering "P.adkins" that he would tell me the new cursed scroll if I gave him my opinion. this is probably B.S., however, you never can tell...

legendary artifact

comes into play tapped.

3T: choose a player. that player reveals their hand to you. name a card, and pick a card out of that player's hand. If it is the card named, deal up to three damage to target creature that player controls or to that player.

I forgot the flavor text, but one of the carnosomthingoranothers said it.

Keep in mind this may be a guy trying to start some shit, though.
after I said it was a little weak by coming into play tapped, he left the chatroom.

-theorgg

Ferret

Staff member
I'm kind of hoping Hurrican Floyd hangs around FL for a couple of days so I can get the weekend off to go to the Pre-release...

-ferret

"worked pretty well last year
"

Z

Zadok001

Hmmm... Well, I really don't like Bribary that much... In fact, I can't think of it as a good card for some reason.

Maybe it's just 'cause when I play blue, I play counters. And I REALLY don't like tapping out. Treachery is fine, Bribary is not. I just can't find it in myself to like that card....

Anyway, just my biased ideas.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Zadok--Some questions I'd like to ask you then:
I take it you wouldn't play with Control Magic in a blue deck?
How about Morphling?

Yes, I know Morphling isn't the exact same, but its the principle. I believe bribery is useable, but maybe not main deck. But then again, I'm not sure if I'd put it in my sideboard either.

If a blue mage were to use Bribery, then they should be <font color="red">no</font> means cast is 5th turn (the CC is 3UU right?). Same with Morphling. You wait until at least 7th turn, most likely 8th (so you can't target it)

And on a side note, I uploaded a bunch of changes. You'll probably see most of them, but I added some fun UBB code.
You all know the standard [ and ], so I'm gonna leave those out.
* COLOR=red &lt;-- or whatever color you want. You can use hexadecimal if you want to.
[ + COLOR=red + ]your text[ + /COLOR + ] will give you <font color="red">your text</font> .
* ME &lt;-- This is like the ME function on IRC, except the syntax is like this:
[ + ME + ]runs down the street[ + /ME + ] will give you:
<font color="red">* Ed Sullivan runs down the street</font>
* LINK &lt;-- This is how a link type thing should be implemented.
[ + LINK=http://www.casualplayers.org + ]whatever you want your link to be[ + /LINK + ] will give you:
whatever you want your link to be .

Hope you like, and remember, don't put the pluses and extra spaces in the UBB code, cuz it won't work then.

-mike

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
hmm.. status code (look under my name) isn't working correctly. Sorry theorgg, you're not a CPA Founder.
...all that beta testing. Back to see if I can fix it.

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...I wonder +/COLOR=greenwhat colour is this? Hope it looks like I think...

-ferret

"...I like the pretty lights..."

Ferret

Staff member
Rats! It didn't work...but still, the little subtitle under my name is cool!

-ferret

"...and now, back to Final Fantasy VIII..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
it will look like this: <font color="green">green</font> .. not sure how this is going to come out.
And Ferret, the code is like this, but with [ instead of {:
{color=green}green{/color}
and if thats ugly, try this: {color=#008000}different green{/color} which will come up like <font color="#008000">this</font>

-mike
back to trying to fix the statuses. they seem to work fine at the bottom of the reply to page

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Getting back to the main thread, I can see carrying 1 or 2 maindeck Bribery in a certain type of <font color="blue">Blue</font> deck. If your local metagame involves creatures, especially big ones that take a while to hit the table, cards like this would be excellent.

Of course, I liked Desertion too, and it was sometimes nothing more than an enormously expensive counterspell. Still, it was fun.

TomB
CPA Member
"...and the looks on their faces made it worth it!"

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
A quick little side note: I believe the subtitles now work, or at least I think they did on my Personal Web Server. All admins now have their names in a red/maroon color when they post, and most, if not all, have their job listed below (Web Guy, PR Man, Slacker, etc.). Hopefully it'll work here.

Anyway, it really depends on metagame. In the occacsional extended tournies I play in, I usual see Sligh, Suicide Black, and Pox. There's not many creatures I'd wanna grab in any of those, except for maybe a steel golem or skirge in pox, but only if I'm playing creature lands and very few creatures.
Now, if there is a lot of Secret Force in your area, I'd maindeck 1 or 2, and at least 2 treacheries (probably 4).
Personally, I wouldn't really use this that much, except in a big creature envoirnment... although I do like the card/concept.

-mike
Work dangit!

Ferret

Staff member
I still think the concept of a colour being able to steal any card it wants is wrong - top that off w/ the ability to deny the other colours of the spells they do want to cast and it gets SICK!

-ferret

"Ertai's Fortress Legendary Land. Tap: until the end of turn counter any lands being played."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
As I've said, I don't really think Bribery will be seen to much on the new standard format or in any other format. But if big creature strategies start popping up. I think blue may be a really good choice. Treachery and Bribery combined with counterspells is sick, at least in that situation.

And then we move onto the dojo's next card:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Charisma <font color="blue">UUU</font>
Enchant Creature
Rare
Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a creature, you control that creature as long as Charisma remains in play.
It was Gerrard's nature to lead and the Mercadians' to follow.
Illus. Terese Nielsen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty fun card to play with, but not a tourney card. With all the weenie strategies around, it is completely useless. If you can get it on a 1/5 creature, then it may be good, but otherwise I don't think it's very good.

-mike
next!

Ferret

Staff member
You know that that card was designed to counter one card: Masticore. They use it once and the card's yours...

It's pretty sad when you see R&D trying to make up for past mistakes w/ cards like that...

-ferret

"Deceleration: Enchantment GG2: If a permanent is tapped more than once in a turn destroy it"

C

Child of Gaea

I am just replying to see what happens
when I post a reply.
I have yet to see any of the new cards so I do not have much of an opinion.
I am so anxious for us to get going I could puke. I am still looking for new ideas for contests , in case somene comes up with better ideas than I do.

Child
"Congratulations, you are the winner of the 2000 World Champion CPA deck." Thats a scary thought.

C

Child of Gaea

ROTFLMFAO..... That probably wouldn't be my subtitle if you guys seen how often I beat Baron's ass. His subtitle would probably be One Sorry Motherf$%ker. LOL

Child

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I'm just using the jobs that Ferret put in his article because they were funny. That's why it says "Punching Bag", child.

And I believe Charisma means whenever the enchanted creature (Masticore) deals damage to a creature (say, Albino Troll), you gain control of that creature (the Albino Troll). This could be broken with Masticore. ("I'll take you and you and you. Ohh!! And I must have THAT!")

Who knows...
-mike

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That was exactly my thought when I saw it, Ed. This card will rock in a control deck packing Masticores. Is this another one of those cards that makes us say "What the hell is WotC thinking?" How long do you guys give it for WotC to ban Masticore? I think it'll last 'til January, and no later.

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

Ferret

Staff member
Banning a creature? When was the last time that was done? I can't remember if it ever was...

...you know, when R&D made Charisma they were probably thinking of cards like Hermetic Study or the half dozen versions of Tim out there - not Masticore - but since a deck can have something like 12 Tims in it along w/ 4 Hermetic Study's to put on any creature you want to make Charismatic and the fact that the casting cost is UUU (no splashing allowed for Red and his Shivan Hellkite!) It's like they're deliberately trying to give Blue the edge again...

-ferret

"...well, last year our combos were getting disrupted by creatures - we HAVE to give Blue a defense against that, too!"