New game: Dominion

turgy22

Nothing Special
Uh, blame Rokapoke for putting Laboratory/Village/Market all in the same game.
Is that his fault, or is that how the game is designed? I was under the impression that the game came with all the cards we used (plus more) and that they were always available every game. If that's the case, it's not really rokapoke's fault; it's just a fundamental design flaw in the game. Just to be on the safe side, though, I'll blame him anyway.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The treasure and victory cards are present in every game. The action card piles can be selected randomly (if I remember correctly, the game box even comes with selector cards that can be shuffled and dealt for this purpose) or chosen by the players or through any method really. The rules don't stipulate that they must be chosen in any particular fashion. I'm thinking that Rokapoke chose them randomly or something.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yes, I just took some time to read the rules. I didn't realize that you chose only 10 of 25 of the card sets for use. I assumed before that all 25 were used in every game and Rokapoke used a smaller amount since it was the first time some of us were playing.

R

rokapoke

I chose the ones I did because they're my favorite cards to use -- I had no idea there was a broken infinite loop in there!

I didn't want to go with any of the pre-defined selections because I wanted to avoid using any of the attack cards -- I felt it was better the first time through to have each player in complete control of his own destiny. Plus, this way I could provide each player's hand when it was his turn rather than PMing them to everybody all the time.

So while I can't avoid all the blame, I can deflect much of it to the power-hungry veteran player ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I played a grand total of four games before this (and won one using Witch/Laboratory), but I guess that makes me a veteran compared to the others? And yeah, I was wondering about the lack of attack cards. In retrospect, it sure made it easier for me to get my Mind's Desire/Tendrils of Agony combo. :p

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe I missed something, but played cards do not go in the discard pile?
And I do believe you can't have more copper that you have in your deck (+other cards that give you +1 copper).
How much total copper is in your deck right now?
Maybe I am missing something, but infinite loops should not be possible

Cleanup: The card you purchased, all cards that you played, and any cards remaining in your hand, are all placed in your discard pile.

R

rokapoke

Whoops! I've been doing this wrong all along. Oh, well. Next time I think the players can handle their own cards, and I won't cause this problem at all!

Well pointed out, Moosey.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Maybe I missed something, but played cards do not go in the discard pile?
And I do believe you can't have more copper that you have in your deck (+other cards that give you +1 copper).
How much total copper is in your deck right now?
Maybe I am missing something, but infinite loops should not be possible
Market/Festival, etc. do not give Copper cards. They give "coins" like the Copper cards. Bonus purchasing power that has nothing to do with the number of treasure cards in one's deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oops, I missed that Mooseman accurately described the way that actions are played. Yeah, they don't go into the discard pile. It had been a while since I played this game before. I did read the rules before we started, but, uh, um, I blame Rokapoke!

And hey, I assume that I wasn't the only one getting my actions shuffled back into my deck, right? I was merely the most egregious offender. :oops:

R

rokapoke

I did the same thing for everybody... but it only mattered for your last turn.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Hey, when I first started magic, I didn't think creatures with summoning sickness could block......
There were other wonderful "rulings" that we got horribly wrong.
I was talking about the cooper, because there is a limited amount you have in your deck, including the extra you get from action cards, thus buying all the 6 point victory cards is highly unlikely.

R

rokapoke

Are the players (Spiderman, Turgy22, Melkor, and Oversoul) interested in me fixing this game at whatever turn it all went wrong and picking it up from there in the next few days?

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm fine with that, if that's what everyone else wants to do. If not, I'm interested in playing again.

Melkor

Sure I'd be willing to go back in time if it isn't too much trouble. If it is kind of a pain then I'd be interested in another game.

turgy22

Nothing Special
So, is this thing still rewinding? Or are we waiting for Spiderman's input? Remember that he's completely unaware that the game even ended, so I don't think he'd mind going back to a previous point in the game.

R

rokapoke

I'm still working on the rewind (which is to say that I haven't touched it yet). Busy week. Sorry.

R

rokapoke

Here's the story. I could have restarted after each player had 2 turns, but I figure it's best to just restart from the beginning. So I'll assume everyone's still game for it, and we'll take it from the top. The correct way, this time!

I'm sticking with the Actions we used last game -- I still like them. And they don't actually cause infinite loops, which is a good thing.

Spiderman's 1st Turn

Hand:
1 - Copper x3
Estate x2

You've got 3 treasure to spend on 1 buy.

Stockpiles:
QTY..CARD
32...Copper (cost = 0, 1 treasure)
40...Silver (3, 2 treasure)
30...Gold (6, 3 treasure)

12...Estate (2, 1 victory point)
12...Duchy (5, 3 victory points)
12...Province (8, 6 victory points)

10...Cellar (2) (+1 action. Discard any number of cards from your hand. Draw that many cards.)
10...Village (3) (+2 actions. Draw one card.)
10...Woodcutter (3) (+1 buy. +2 treasure for this turn.)
10...Moneylender (4) (Trash a copper from your hand. If you do, gain +3 treasure for this turn.)
10...Feast (4) (Trash this card. Gain a card costing up to 5.)
10...Smithy (4) (Draw 3 cards.)
10...Festival (5) (+2 actions. +1 buy. +2 treasure for this turn.)
10...Laboratory (5) (+1 action. Draw two cards.)
10...Market (5) (+1 action. +1 buy. Draw one card. +1 treasure for this turn.)
10...Mine (5) (Trash a treasure card from your hand. Put a treasure card costing up to 3 more into your hand.)

Deck sizes / Draw pile sizes:
Spiderman -- 10 / 5
Turgy22 -- 10 / 10
Melkor -- 10 / 10
Oversoul -- 10 / 10

Next up: Turgy22's 1st Turn