my new *edited* Sliver Deck

M

mythosx

Anti sliver or anti tribe revolves around artifacts and enchantments. The pretty much harmonic sliver shuts those down. I have trouble with my brothers humility deck.

I think some one tried a hivestone once but it didn't work since the sliver overlord just steals stuff for me.

For some reason since as long as I can remember, Squirrels always beats Slivers. I can't explain it. I can't stand it either. That's just how it goes down. I'm 0 and 33 now.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, a great anti-tribe card in Engineered Plague, so multiples of those out seem like they would get you. Multiple board clearers too.

Weird about Squirrels... is it because it's a faster deck somehow? And/or use pump/Overrun effects to beat down?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well yeah, but sinceit's packed full of Slivers and whatnot, he's gotta be getting creatures and stuff... if he's 0-33 against Squirrels, something's gotta be going on...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I mean he's less likely to get the right answers when he needs them. I don't know what kind of squirrel decks he's facing, though. If it's Earthcraft combo, he'll probably want to draw Harmonic Sliver, but he has to find it first...

B

brooding_sliver

Sorry I have posted in a while -- work it seems gets in te way. The closest thing I've seen to anti sliver. was a guy who had 4 plague slivers in his side board. That wasn't a fun game i tell you...lol

B

brooding_sliver

I found a decent deck list, and I started making a budget version that looks are more powerful than my build -- I can't get the mana base right. Anyone willing to help?:

4 Aether Vial

4 Crystalline Sliver
4 Sinew Sliver
4 Muscle Sliver
4 Plated Sliver
4 Winged Sliver

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
4 Mana leak
2 Mana Tithe

M

Modus Pwnens

Well, non-budgety I'd add something like this:

4x Flooded Strand
4x Polluted Delta
4x Tundra
4x Tropical Island
1x Island
1x Plains
With the basics as a concession to Moon-effects (although I do not know how many of those are there in your local metagame)

Slightly less budgety would be to replace the T1 Duals with Shockduals, and very budgety would look like this:

4x Adarker Wastes
4x Yavimaya Coast
2x Brushland
4x Island
2x Plains
2x Forest

And all basics would come down to something like:

7x Island
7x Plains
4x Forest

But that would definately give you troubles casting Counterspell, so perhaps 8 Island, 6 Plains would be better..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul;277765 said:
Well, I mean he's less likely to get the right answers when he needs them. I don't know what kind of squirrel decks he's facing, though. If it's Earthcraft combo, he'll probably want to draw Harmonic Sliver, but he has to find it first...
Maybe. But if he said he can't explain why Squirrels win, presumably it's not always that combo but a different thing each time...

D

DarthFerret

I had/have a squirrel deck that generally speaking if you don't beat it in the first 10 turns (entirely possible), then it will usually rule supreme. The secret to it (and imho any good token critter deck) is 3 cards.

#1. Parrellel Evolutions (flashback is a good bonus on this one)

#2. Overrun

#3. Spidersilk Armor

The biggest hole in a lot of non-flying token decks is exactly that. They cannot touch fliers. By putting in the Armors, you give the little guys some survivability and you allow them to fill one of your biggest holes. Usually by the time you get one parallel evolutions, and flash it back once, then throw down an overrun, it is all over. Since squirrels are green, you almost never have to worry about mana shortages. It is pretty easy to make a trimmed down squirrel deck, even on a budget. Your only big issue, is deck speed. In a speed game, you will more than likely lose. In a multiplayer, if they do not know it is comming, you should win 90% of the time.

B

brooding_sliver

currently I know (and have) the mana base needs:

4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Brushland
4 Yavimaya Coast

Where I get lost is in the numbers of basic lands.

M

Modus Pwnens

Don't go all out on Brushlands, you only need green for Muscle Slivers, so with painland you'll be good with ~6 sources of green.
I'd stick with 2 tops, and if you feel the pain is hurting you more than you like, consider this.

The reasoning for this is as follows:
20 Blue cards (one of which has a UU cost)
18 White cards
4 Green cards

Your mana base should reflect this, so if you're comfortable with taking some damage from your lands (aka you have a relatively quiet metagame, not a lot of burn, bunch of control decks) the pain can be taken safely.

4x Adarker Wastes
4x Yavimaya Coast
2x Brushland
5x Island
3x Plains
I know this is different from what I said above, but I was in a hurry this morning ;)
If you can take the pain, this manabase should rarely give you trouble casting your spells.

If you want to take some less pain, I'd recommend this:
4x Adarker Wastes (non-negotiable)
3x Yavimaya Coast
5x Island
4x Plains
2x Forest
Perhaps changing a plains for an island, testing will work out the exact configuration, but this seems best..

M

mythosx

Engineered plague isn't too bad...muscle, might, sinew, armor....its easy to push past the -1/-1 even -4/-4 isn't too bad.

Plague sliver is a pain but as long as you get your essence slivers you actually start gaining life and not losing any.

The key reason that I lose to squirrels is very clear and obvious. Deranged Hermit. for the cost of 5 mana, essentially you are getting 9/9. The second reason, is earth craft. Since we play a vintage game, earthcraft squirrels nest is much faster than my infinite combo.

M

mythosx

yeah the funny thing is, I was the one who made both those suggestions. I need to learn to keep my yap shut.

B

brooding_sliver

squirrels, huh? Maybe I picked the wrong creature type to fall in love with.