My*edited*sliver deck

H

Homestar

never heard of it..should i try it?

Oversoul: that was a typo, "ot" was supposed to be not...i use workstaion NOT to optimize my decks........

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you use Workstation to test your decks, you don't need Suitcase... the added bonus of Suitcase is that you can inventory your cards and see what you have.

H

Homestar

I DONT USE WORKSTATION TO TEST MY DECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOOKAT MY POSTS!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Let me rephrase that: If you use Workstation for deckbuilding, Suitcase will not offer anything new. If you want to have an inventory program to keep track of your cards, I would switch to Suitcase.

H

Homestar

yea..it would be cool to enter all my cards on a program to build and test decks so i dont have to take all my cards out then its a pain in the butt to clean up ><.

And while we are on a deck building subject....im not sure how to phrase this questin but, how do you guys build your decks? like, is there any steps you follow?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Figure out a theme or objective for the deck, get a list of support cards, trim to fit the mana curve, and test by goldfishing a couple of hands.

T

train

drawing cards as if you were playing...

It basically let's you see how the deck would draw in a game... and gives you an idea of what you could do from the opening hand...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I usually look through all of my appropriately coloured cards and pull out everything that might go in the deck, then cut things over and over until I have a working deck, then test it by goldfishing and playtesting against other decks to see what changes should be made. If I want to improve the deck, I make revised decklists on my computer and hunt for the required cards...

H

Homestar

that works too. heres my plan of action

#1. find a deck idea

#2. post it here and let you guys make my deck:p

T

train

i do like oversoul listed - but i take into account the metagame first, and then try building a semi-competitive deck that isn't already out there...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The metagame in a given area/format consists of the decks that are dominant/popular for that area/format.

Well, I didn't address the metagame there, but for my casual decks it's usually not as much of a concern, since the metagame is typically diverse and sometimes unpredictable.

T

train

since the metagame is typically diverse and sometimes unpredictable.
i even take into account the casual meta... Everyone plays a certain style... build to compete with it, and you do well..:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I do it more now than I used to, but it's difficult, because of the tendency to run into a wacky creation never seen before. The most important thing, in my experience, is to make sure that not all of your decks have the same weaknesses. If all of your decks lack the disruption/speed necessary to beat combo, then you will die miserably when you face combo. If your decks can all be shut down with a Null Rod, then you deserve to run into Null Rod every game...

It's funny to watch how bad players metagame. Usually they do absolutely nothing (which is why they are bad players) and lose to the same tricks over and over. But it's even funnier to watch them fill their decks with lifegain against Donate, splash blue for countermagic to beat permission, build bigger decks to survive against milling, run color hosers that don't work with their strategies...