Most Horrible movie adaptation...

Z

Zigathon

I'm going to have to say that almost any film based on a Stephen King novel is pretty bad. Of course, Pet Semetary is an exception. Desperation wasn't too bad either.

I thought Dennis Hopper was awesome in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Nothing like a good ol' fashioned chainsaw battle...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Zigathon said:
I'm going to have to say that almost any film based on a Stephen King novel is pretty bad. Of course, Pet Semetary is an exception. Desperation wasn't too bad either.
Are you kidding me? A lot of Stephen King's movie adaptations are hit and miss, but some have been absolutely brilliant.
Stand By Me
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
The Shining
Running Man
Misery
It
Needful Things
The Stand
Carrie

Admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of his less popular movies, but I think the number of great ones that came out of his writing more than makes up for any amount of bad movies that might have come out.

Tag Guard

L

Limited

The Running Man? What is that movie doing in a list of watchable movies?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22 said:
Are you kidding me? A lot of Stephen King's movie adaptations are hit and miss, but some have been absolutely brilliant.
Stand By Me
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
The Shining
Running Man
Misery
It
Needful Things
The Stand
Carrie

Admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of his less popular movies, but I think the number of great ones that came out of his writing more than makes up for any amount of bad movies that might have come out.
I've only seen three of those and I barely remember The Running Man. The Shawshank Redemption is brilliant. Carrie, though? It was alright. I guess I started losing interest after the first minute or so...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read Running Man but have seen it (and actually own the DVD). It's great entertainment. It doesn't rank up there as an Oscar-winning movie, but there are definitely worse movies out there, adaptations or no.

L

Limited

I have read the book, and seeing the movie was a total let-down.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, so not all the movies I listed were Oscar-worthy, but they were all far from the sort of dreck you find in video game movie adaptations.

Stand By Me, Shawshank, and the Green Mile were all fantastic movies.
The Shining, Carrie, Running Man and Misery weren't spectacular, but they were all popular movies that seriously influenced a generation of people.
Needful Things, It, and the Stand were all solid movies, albiet epic in length.

I'd still favor the worst King movies over the best video-game adaptation any day.

Tag Guard

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Christine was pretty good too, considering especially when it was made...:)

N

Nightstalkers

Just sayin' even in a crappy role Dennis Hopper isn't as bad as these misfits you see in modern action films like Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (who the hell are these people?!)

But of the movie adaptations of Stephen Kings' stuff... I only liked the shawshank redemption. Sadly, that's the only film I liked out of his stuff. His books are a little longwinded for me and the movies reflect it.

B

BigBlue

Shawshank & Green Mile were both good... Shawshank is one of the best movies I've ever seen...

Not to kill my own thread, but for anyone looking for a good movie (which isn't an adaptation) and who doesn't mind subtitles should check out Ikiru. It's a Kurasawa(sp) film set in post-war Japan... If you judge it on it's story & how it was filmed, it's absolutely brilliant having been made in 1952 and well ahead of it's time.

I think there are definately a couple things I missed because of cultural differences, but not much.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
TomB said:
I thought Christine was pretty good too, considering especially when it was made...:)
I hadn't known Christine was a Stephen King adaptation. I don't read Stephen King for some reason...

Christine was pretty good.

Z

Zigathon

Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten about The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, and Stand By Me. Those are all great.

It... awful.
Carrie... pretty decent.
The Running Man... nothing like the book at all.
The Shining... the Kubrick version is good, although it strays from the book quite a bit.
Christine... is decent.
The Stand... very drawn out and long-winded. I guess its alright though.

I could go on, as I've read everything by Stephen King and naturally watched the movies as well, but basically, most are just okay at best. I guess we could have an entire thread based upon his adaptations alone.

N

Nightstalkers

Me... I'm an anime fan as well but am sorely disappointed in most anime because they just don't put out the films. Hayao Miyazaki's films are good... I haven't seen the more kiddie ones like "My Neighbor Totoro" and I haven't even seen "Porco Rosso" or "The Cat Returns," but most of his stuff is good so far. Pixar and Disney are doing a wonderful job of keeping true to the original content (unlike a lot of other companies that import japanese movies).

But then you've got all these anime TV series... and... well... feature length anime movies are a little hard to find. Okay, anime movies worth $1 are hard to find.

D

DarthFerret

Just wanted to put this out there....I just ordered Fist of the North Star (the real version, not the TV. Series) from Amazon. Other than that, I have enjoyed the Project A-Ko series and the Excel Saga. And of course, Vamp. Hunter D. It has been real difficult to weed through some of the dumber ones. It seems like everytime I turn around someone is wanting me to watch Dragonball Z or Sho-lin showdown or some other stupid version (my opinion). Also on the (stupid) list is Inyashu.

Tag Guard

N

Nightstalkers

DBZ gets old after the first couple episodes.... and they draw out the episodes with the infamous constapation power scenes that it's just ridiculous. Also stay away from that Samurai X, Inuyasha, and the Patlabor one with the detectives in it...

Never seen a worse film than that Patlabor movie... Submarine 707r and even Armitage Dual Matrix were more interesting.... And Armitage Dual Matrix has the guy who voiced Jar Jar Binks in it.

Attachments

Z

Zigathon

I've never been much of an Anime fan. I do like Full Metal Alchemist, Reign: The Conqueror, Vampire Hunter D, and a few other things I've seen.

B

BigBlue

I really liked Metropolis... And I liked the Animatrix stuff... I'm not a huge anime fan, but I did like those two things a lot...

N

Nightstalkers

I'd suggest you checkout the first Ghost in the Shell movie then... Other than that there isn't much else along the lines of action anime outside of the TV series.

L

Limited

The first anime I saw was Akira.. still one of the best in my opinion.