Most Horrible movie adaptation...

B

BigBlue

What movie is the absolute worst adaptation?

By adaptation, I mean from an already existing alternate medium (comic book, TV show, book, etc)...

I think by far the worst things come from TV shows... Say Charlie's Angels... Certainly there are exceptions... but to me, small screen to big screen adaptations fail miserably... (best one to me was Firefly). But Charlie's Angels (especially the sequel) were just horrible movies.

Batman & Robin was horrible in the same way...

I think the pitfall with adaptations is when the writers try to entertain 2 crowds at once - those who are familiar w/ the previous work and those who know nothing of it... I'd rather they wrote as if I knew nothing of it... and let me learn of it through their perspective...

N

Nightstalkers

The batman films were okay in the regard that they were meant to be fun superhero films that a wide range of ages could enjoy. Both the audience and the actors had a very enjoyable time with it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I can think of a ton of movies that are terrible, but most of them are not adaptations. I've been told that many of the recent movies adapted from video games are particularly awful, but I haven't been fooled into watching any of them.

I haven't seen this either, but I'm going to say that it's probably pretty bad AND was quite possibly the first chick flick. Everyone with good taste owes the original chick flick (whatever it may have been) abject hatred for ushering in the worst category of movie.

S

sageridder

I'm going to have to go with war of the worlds on this one.As far as old tv to movie I'm not so sure as a whole they are as bad.I say that not because I thought many were good, but because after watching a couple I've gone back and watched the shows again.I honestly can't stomach watching many old shows I thought were good at the time.Sit through a couple hours of the original tv versions of batman, charlies angles, dukes of hazzard, or starchkey and hutch and you might be surprised how quickly you are reaching for the remote, I was.

N

Nightstalkers

Anyone heard about the film called "I Am Legend" with Will Smith in it? The plot sounds exactly like "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price in it...

Wow, that was a good film when it was out.

L

Limited

War of the Worlds had its flaws, but it was still kinda enjoyable.

I thought Daredevil was horrible, the Batman movies (especially the one with Arnie) were a drag...

I really like V for Vendetta and SinCity though (so it is possible to make a good adaption)

(And I like Stephen King's Needfull Things movie adaptation. Better ending than the book).

D

DarthFerret

Come on guys....are you forgeting the worst kind of movies out there? The ones based off of video games? Super Mario Brothers? That was really lame! Street Fighter? Come on, Van Damn? Final Fantasy (what was that one all about really?).

I like it better when the make the game based on the movie. The only redeeming movie in this genere is Resident Evil. (Mortal Kombat was kinda ok, but the second one stunk badly!).

Tag Guard

L

Limited

There is actually a Mario Bros movie? Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were both pretty crappy.. And DOOM, Bloodrayne and Alone in the Dark were also awfull (damn you Uwe Bol).

Resident Evil was okay.. even the sequal wasn't too bad.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

the best video game adaptation I've seen has got to be Silent Hill. very cool movie. I actually enjoyed the resident evil movies as well. Doom was amusing, not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but amusing. I thought the Rock actually did pretty well in that movie.

L

Limited

Silent Hill was beautifully made, but not much beyond that (but still entertaining).

I thought Doom was awful, especially the first-person-shooter part.

N

Nightstalkers

Mario Bros., while cute, just didn't deserve the title.

Dennis Hopper isn't that bad of an actor, he was great in Waterworld and was cool enough to do the narration for the gorillaz track "Fire Coming out of a Monkey's Head"

L

Limited

Nightstalkers said:
...was cool enough to do the narration for the gorillaz track "Fire Coming out of a Monkey's Head"
I thought that voice sounded familiar!

He was great in True Romance. And Blue Velvet was also good (albeit highly disturbing).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Nightstalkers said:
Dennis Hopper isn't that bad of an actor, he was great in Waterworld
No offense, but this makes me sad. Dennis Hopper is a great actor and the best you can come up with to support his career is Waterworld? Waterworld!? If you want to see him in some good movies, try watching Easy Rider or Apocalypse Now. Hell, Speed was better than Waterworld.

And although I haven't seen them, I've heard good things about the ones Limited mentioned: Blue Velvet and True Romance.

Seriously, the guy's been in, like, 100 movies. Waterworld should never be mentioned as a positive point of a person's acting career.

Tag Guard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Nightstalkers said:
Dennis Hopper isn't that bad of an actor, he was great in Waterworld and was cool enough to do the narration for the gorillaz track "Fire Coming out of a Monkey's Head"
Dennis Hopper is actually a good actor, but there was a time when he'd play his generic villain character in any movie if anyone asked him to. We're never really convinced his character in Super Mario Bros. is particularly different from his character in Blue Velvet, Speed, or Waterworld (and probably some other movies I've forgotten or haven't seen). But he does have a range outside of that (for example, check out his performance in True Romance).

Edit: Turgy posted while I was writing my post. I would probably not have made my post if I'd seen his, but too late...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
You must have spent a long time thinking up your post, as there's about 40 minutes in between them :D
That's why I didn't say, "We posted at the same time." I think I had another window open and was working on something at school. I forget exactly what it might have been (since I usually try to avoid doing actual schoolwork). But I'm pretty sure that I didn't actually spend 40 minutes writing that post and doing nothing else...

...probably. :p