Mirrodin Mechanic: Equipment

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Rules for Equipment

(This should probably be in Rules and I'll move it there someday, but since it's part of a new expansion and I'm not sure how many people check Rules, I put it here for now).

T

train

This is going to be an extremely interesting set...

Not only do you get to play creatures - but you get to play creatures, that get FAT!!!...

T

train

If we end up in MD - I'd make sure you made the prereleases... And Az to...

and then we can really play a multiplayer game!!!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Az and I have made the pre-releases, we just haven't found each other yet :) Since we have only a rough idea of who to look for (at least on my end). Plus, usually I leave right after my side event, although I can probably stay a wee longer if we play an MP game.

D

DÛke

Equipment is utmost trash. It will not become a popular mechanic. It can't. Support-cards (creature enchantments, "equipment), were rarely good. The best one that comes to mind is Rancor, but that is, indeed, about it. Curiosity and Sigil of Sleep might have made an appearance in few outsider decks. Equipment? an example of the lack of ideas, a confession, if you will.

T

train

Duke - I have to disagree...

Enchantments seem to be on the rise - Pemmin's Aura for example...

Also - it came to fruition when Armadillo cloak turned many a creature into beat sticks!...

but this equipment is extremely strong for it's cost - it'll be played... and in great abundance...

I mean - it can stay in play if the creature dies for goodness sake!...

Attachments

R

rkoelsch

I have to say that the equipment looks pretty strong. It would have been crazy if it could have been at instant speed but still fairly strong. Artifacts as a whole have been fairly weak, this should change that.

D

DÛke

Let me offer my position once again.

Here's a card from Urza's Saga:

Endoskeleton (2)
Artifact
You may choose not to untap Endoskeleton during your untap step.
2, tap: target creature get +0/+3 as long as Endoskeleton remains tapped.

Here's your beloved Loxodon Warhammer without the need to decieve you, telling you that there's a "new" card type:

Loxodon Warhammer (3)
Artifact
You may choose not to untap Loxodon Warhammer during your untap step.
3, tap: target creature you control gains +3/+0, has trample, and has "Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain that much life" as long as Loxodon Warhammer remains tapped.

Please make clear how my version of Loxodon Warhammer is any different than the "new" card type.

You know what? it's not really about the new card type - it's about creating the illusion of a new card type. If they can do that much, then they can instill in you an excitment which they can't do otherwise. Obviously, their trick is working...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe we need to see the whole set to see and judge better... one card preview is just that, a one card preview :)

T

train

Agreed - but other cards have been shown... and this - no matter what other cards are in the set - this is strong...

Would you not run it spidey?...

This gives P/T bonuses, life gain, and trample to every color... and from only 1 card:eek:... and it's uncommon:eek::eek:

That right there is strong...

R

rkoelsch

Originally posted by DÛke

Let me offer my position once again.

Here's a card from Urza's Saga:

Endoskeleton (2)
Artifact
You may choose not to untap Endoskeleton during your untap step.
2, tap: target creature get +0/+3 as long as Endoskeleton remains tapped.

Here's your beloved Loxodon Warhammer without the need to decieve you, telling you that there's a "new" card type:

Loxodon Warhammer (3)
Artifact
You may choose not to untap Loxodon Warhammer during your untap step.
3, tap: target creature you control gains +3/+0, has trample, and has "Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain that much life" as long as Loxodon Warhammer remains tapped.

Please make clear how my version of Loxodon Warhammer is any different than the "new" card type.

You know what? it's not really about the new card type - it's about creating the illusion of a new card type. If they can do that much, then they can instill in you an excitment which they can't do otherwise. Obviously, their trick is working...

I am not debating if it is a new card type. But look at the mana requirements for 4 mana you can increase toughness by 3, for 6 mana you gain 3 power, Trample, and Spirit Link abilities. More efficient I would say.

But it is just my opinion, please feel free to disagree, as I feel free to disagree with your opinion. :D

D

DÛke

Oh, there's no debate at all that the card is worthy of attention. What I question is the reason we have the term "equpiment" introduced to Magic, especially when we don't need it at all, and have done just fine with out it. How pointless!

T

train

We also did perfectly fine without a crad face change!!!....

N

Nightstalkers

Personnally, I love this quaint little idea.

It'll give .\\agic a little spunk that its been needing sense Apocalypse.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

its more a flavor issue that a function issue. I always thought that sword of the chosen should've been able to "stick to" a creature.

oh and I'm fairly sure I'll be at the Mirrodin Prerelease. I tend to play in the Main event, since I like to play, and care less about prizes(although winning a box might be nice one of these days;) ) and Spidey in the smaller flights, thats probably while we always miss each other. Zadok might attend this one. since he'll be in state, but I'll have to ask him.

R

Rooser

Actually Duke, there is one important difference in actually naming the mechanic versus printing functional equivalents of it.

(Though, to be technical, equipment would not quite be functionally the same if it were changed to the way you said it. Equipment can switch creatures within the same turn if need be, and if your opponent taps your equipment, it won't prevent you from using it more. But this is all beside the point.)

The real difference is that if a keyword exists, you can reference it.

To use another example, consider how Undergrowth provides the functional equivalent of the Kicker mechanic, without actually being Kicker. The difference is that Undergrowth can't be countered by Ertai's Trickery, nor would you get a token for your Saproling Infestation. That's a very unexciting parallel, I know, but it's a solid outside example.

As to this equipment situation, sure, the eqipment mechanic itself isn't very exciting, but what's to say there won't be cards which won't trigger upon the activation of equipment, or do something when equipment comes into play, or searches your library for target equipment or get +1/+1 for each equipment in play?

Consider morph. (Well, be it known I'm not too fond of morph anyway, but it's another good example). Morph taken entirely alone is very simple and mostly useless. It's what's printed on the morph creature itself that keeps it interesting, (Either surprise combat abilities, or triggered flipping over tricks), or it's the other cards that reference morph that make it interesting, (Runecaster, Weaver of Lies, etc.).

In fact, I think it's safe to say that the success of most mechanics lies not in the mechanic itself, but in how the mechanics are referenced by other cards. Consider how much more interesting echo could have been if there were a creature which drew you a card whenever an echo permanent came into play, or a creature with power and toughness equal to the number of echo permanents in play, or a way to make permanents lose echo, (To avoid paying it), or a way to search for target echo card. There's no "Ixidor" for echo, or for kicker, or for most older mechanics.

Equipment will be what other cards make of it, not what it makes of itself.

A

Apollo

I'm with DUke here... this isn't a new mechanic, really, it's just a new name for an old one. And one that was never used before, for that matter.

Granted, it has the potential to be good. Rancor was good partially becasue it didn't cost you another card when the creature went away, and the Equipment is similar. But it's not new.

And at the risk of beating a dead horse... it looks awful too.

Ferret

Staff member
It is a pretty lame mechanic. The concept has been around for ages. It's about as lame as Licids were. They're just more creature enchantments. The only difference is that only Red and Green will be able to control them as Artifact removal has been nixed from White lately. They're just new cards that will take up valuable common/rare slots in your boosters...

I think that WotC is running out of new ideas - or they're afraid to try new ones because theyv'e seen how easily they can be exploited...

-Ferret

"Suddenly Fallen Empires is looking good again..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that the idea has been around, but it's probably in this set that it has a coherent ideas focused on it instead of haphazardly sticking the occasional artifact with the ability in the set. As a casual player, I certainly don't have problems with it. Like Rooser said, morph was basically Mask of Illusions expanded.

And Licids were also good for casual play... :)

Az, I usually try to play in the early flights so I can get out earlier but since the end of mine usually coincides with the start of the Main, maybe we can still find each other :)