Mindmaster format?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe all discards could be random or players choice?
I'd like to hear some other opinions on this....... well folks?

D

DarthFerret

To solve your discard problem, if you wanted to do the whole draw a card as normal thing, you just have to agree to have a "Global Library of Leng" in play that works for both players. This way if someone has really high mana costs, they dont have to worry about hand size, and if forced to discard, they can discard to the graveyard or to thier library. That should solve most of the conflicts right there!

L

Limited

I agree that cards that reveal your opponents' hands are way to good in Mindmaster.

I think redo-ing packs isn't an option, as we want rules that could also apply when playing with real packs.

I think that if we replace "entire hand" with "half their hand, rounded up" a lof of issues would be solved. Which cards are revealed might be determined at random (messy) or by the opponent (might prove too good).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think discarding is too bad a problem - I just mentioned it as another potential "game-killer". However, I see Mooseman's point about it being part of a spell while seeing a whole hand is definitely game advantage.

Let's try Limited's solution with random half a hand rounded up to start out with and see how it goes.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I don't think discarding is too bad a problem - I just mentioned it as another potential "game-killer". However, I see Mooseman's point about it being part of a spell while seeing a whole hand is definitely game advantage.

Let's try Limited's solution with random half a hand rounded up to start out with and see how it goes.
Random? Seems to easy to abuse.....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's not that many "see hand" cards in a pack - I think we've only gotten 1 in any given booster. But like I said, let's try it and see... :)

L

Limited

Yeah, random seems a bit hard.. how about we make the targetted players choice? Revealing half still reveals a lot and provides a lot of information, but you can keep the best bits to yourself..

Or perhaps you could play with a kind of cut-off at seven; is your entire hand is revealed or looked at, you choose seven cards to reveal. This way, the effects are still pretty good late in the game, but don't allow you take control of the game entirely.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Or perhaps you could play with a kind of cut-off at seven; is your entire hand is revealed or looked at, you choose seven cards to reveal. This way, the effects are still pretty good late in the game, but don't allow you take control of the game entirely.
I like the seven card idea, but if you are looking for a non-land card, then all the cards revealed have to be non-land (unless you run out of non-land cards).

I would like to try one of these with a library..... basically, you put 8 cards from your pack in your library and have a starting hand of 7 cards, then you get exactly 8 "draws" per game that are not from any ability or spell.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm coming from the approach that "reveal hand" isn't too bad, so that's why I said random; I mean, it mitigates the effect a little but not giving the targetted player too much control over it as would choice.

So we could try random, we could try choice, we could try library... although how is it decided which cards are in your library? Again, random? Choice? And if that happens, I think you should pick whether you draw a "library" card or a land card.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know... I wonder if we can ask the writer of the Mindmaster article what he thought of the "reveal hand" cards...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Well, I'm coming from the approach that "reveal hand" isn't too bad, so that's why I said random; I mean, it mitigates the effect a little but not giving the targetted player too much control over it as would choice.

So we could try random, we could try choice, we could try library... although how is it decided which cards are in your library? Again, random? Choice? And if that happens, I think you should pick whether you draw a "library" card or a land card.
The cards would be put into the library anyway you want. You basically set up your draws.
Library or land draw.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
I would say no, since you have to "draw" some of your cards instead of having all of them already in your hand.....

turn sequence would be
1) untap
2) upkeep
3) May draw from library (only 8 times per game)
4) May play land from land pool
5) main phase
continue with regular phases

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See, I think that way it's giving too much advantage to the player. I would rather see a random hand and random library.

AND choose whether to draw a regular card or land card :)

But it's probably gonna be some mix of it...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Any of the new, current, or coming-back members want to start a series of Mindmaster with me? The more games, the merrier!!!!

Ephraim? Venton? rokapoke? YoungBeard? Even turgy22?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Yeah, but you're obviously cheating, since I kept losing in my favorite block. ;)

Besides, it'd be best if we got "newer" players and players not involved with games playing so we can keep them around.

Spidey and I are apparently both taking extra challengers.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

Rakarth

Here comes the appropriate new player to take on the challenge (how convenient:)). I'll play anyone although you may have to humour me occasionally as I ask silly questions :eek:

How do you guys play the games then? On the forum or using apprentice/workstation?

Rakarth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you made it here.

We play on the forums, check any of the threads like Mindmaster or Tribal for the format. It's all on the honor system, of course. We just write the state of the game after each turn/spell/move.

I'll play you and introduce you to Mindmaster. What expansion do you want to start out with?

R

Rakarth

Looks like it's Urzas Saga to me :D
How does the forum work for responding to spells using counter magic can I ask? I've had a look at a few forum games and it seems that people take a whole turn with the opponent unable to respond?

Rakarth

Edit:Scrap that question hehe, I should really learn to read properly. I suppose that if your spell is likely tobe countered then you could just post as having played the spell and wait for the other person to decide what they want to do?

So shall I start a new thread in the Games Run forum for this game?