Mindmaster format?

L

Limited

The conflict I was referring to is how to distinguish between the 'game draw' and other draws..

But two separate rules works fine I guess ("Each player skips the first draw during his or her draw step" and "whenever a spell or ability would cause a player to draw a card, that player may skip that draw instead").

(I wanted to define the rules as additions to normal magic)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Aye, Aye, Cap-ee-tain...
Spiderman, we should use this in our next game, since I already saw my cards.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman: "Next game", meaning Odyssey? I don't think it would matter though... unless you're saying "Aye" because you saw your cards, which doesn't matter to me anyway because I'm agreeing too...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Mooseman: "Next game", meaning Odyssey? I don't think it would matter though... unless you're saying "Aye" because you saw your cards, which doesn't matter to me anyway because I'm agreeing too...
Aye, because I think it's a good idea and not in the game we are starting, since I saw my cards and didn't want to seem like I was only saying aye because I saw my cards.......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, it doesn't matter to me. :) I think it's a good idea too so we can use it in our current game since we just started.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I need a clear ruling about basic lands: Can we get any basic land, including snow-covered?

Mindmaster rules:
Each turn, you may play one basic land of your choice or a land from your hand (usually nonbasic (or snow-covered basic) land, but sometimes a basic land that's been returned to your hand).

Magic Rules:
205.4b Any land with the supertype “basic” is a basic land. Any land that doesn’t have this supertype is a nonbasic land.
Example: Note that cards printed in sets prior to the Eighth Edition core set didn’t use the word “basic” to indicate a basic land. Cards from those sets with the following names are basic lands: Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp, Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain, Snow-Covered Plains, and Snow-Covered Swamp.

L

Limited

The original article doesn't say..

I can't think of any reason (aka card) to prohibit getting snow-covered lands from outside the game instead of 'normal' basics..

Spidey? Opinion?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh, I thought it was fairly clear. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. :)

Mindmaster says you can get a basic land. Snow-covered Lands are counted as basic lands. Therefore, it follows that you can get them.

I think the statement that's throwing you guys off is
or a land from your hand (usually nonbasic (or snow-covered basic) land
but I think that was just a needless muddle.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Okay, after quite a few games, it has become very clear that cards with "opponent reveals hand" are sooooooo broken. It definitely disrupts the format.
Any ideas to fix this?
If not,I'll still play, but if you have to reveal your hand, you might as well concede the game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure... I've been on the receiving and giving end, so to me, it works both ways.

Discarding cards seems to disrupt the format too (or any format); I think you just gotta take the good with the bad. Although we're only playing one game from each expansion, we can always go back and play any expansion over again if you want a second try :)

D

DarthFerret

Ok, now that most of the games I was playing are either done, or in super stall mode, Does anyone want to try out one of the mindmaster thingies with me? I dont care what set....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll play ya... let's start at the beginning, Alpha/Beta/Unlimited. Mooseman, can you generate a couple of packs?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I'll play ya... let's start at the beginning, Alpha/Beta/Unlimited. Mooseman, can you generate a couple of packs?
I will try to tonight. I have Suitcase on my home computer, not at work....

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I'm not sure... I've been on the receiving and giving end, so to me, it works both ways.
Discarding cards seems to disrupt the format too (or any format); I think you just gotta take the good with the bad.
I believe that having your opponents entire hand in view is such a great advantage that you have to really mess up to lose the game, or you weren't going to anyway as the pack you got is that bad.
When you get to see your opponents hand, you can then plan for every possibility. I did it to Spidey and without the reveal it would have been tough to win that one, he had a real good pack.
I just see it as such a disruption that games are decided by it, not by the play.
my solution? not sure yet....... maybe 7 cards go in your hand and the rest go in your library in whatever order you want, then you get 8 draws for the game that you may take during your regular draw phase. The problem with this is that cards that add to the library and let you draw, now become more powerful..... hmmmmmmm