Mindmaster Antiquities - Spiderman vs. DarthFerret

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're down to three cards, right?

My Priest and Statue block the Dragon Engine, and my Atog blocks one of your Atogs.

D

DarthFerret

Tap 3 mana to tap the Staff of Zegon, targeting the Statue, And tap one more mana (all swamps and mountains are tapped now) into the Dragon, damage on the stack?

Dragon Engine (2/3) blocked by Priest (1/1) and Statue (1/1)
Atog (1/2) blocked by Atog (1/2)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You do know that my Mightstone affects everyone :)

No damage on the stack yet... I'll tap my Mechanics and sac the Mightstone to deal 2 dmg to the Engine.

D

DarthFerret

Ok so right now it is:

Dragon Engine (3/3) (with 2 damage) blocked by Priest (1/1) and Statue (1/1)
Atog (2/2) blocked by Atog (1/2)

is that right? if so, damage on the stack or no?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that once I sacced the Mightstone, your creatures no longer get the bonus. So their power is one less. If that's correct, yes, dmg on the stack and you have priority.

D

DarthFerret

I was assuming that since the Mightstone was in play when my attacks were declared, that the bonus applied to this combat...

I could be wrong, maybe we should ask...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It did, but I believe that since I sacced it, the bonus came off.

We can ask if you'd like since it affects your dudes...

D

DarthFerret

I would like to ask, not tryin to be a pain, but for some reason I am assuming that the bonus stays..

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mightstone is worded as such "Whenever a creature attacks, it gets +1/+0 as long as it's attacking."

Since the ability requires an action to occur for it to happen, it is an activated ability. The ability is "this creature gets +1/+0 as long as it's attacking." It's not a static ability, or else it would be something like "Attacking creatures gain +1/+0" or "While creatures are attacking, they gain +1/+0". However, the text clearly states that an action must happen for this to to take place, meaning the ability is triggered and does not leave when the artifact leaves play.

At least that's my take on it.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All right, that's two people (one here and Limited at the Rules forum).

That changes what I was thinking then...

So we're still in the Blocking step. I'll tap 4 lands to use my Rocket Launcher to deal 2 dmg to your Atog. Responses?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tap four more lands for the Rocket Launcher to deal 2 more dmg to the Atog in response to that sac.

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I have no more responses...(you pain!)

If damage resolves, looks like my Atog bites the big weenie, but so does yours, as well as your statue and your priest (unless you regen the statue, for 2 damage to yourself). I lose my Staff of Zegon, you lose the mightstone, the rocket launcher, and your dignity?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This is all during the Declare Blockers step, so your Atog dies before dealing dmg to mine.

Then during Declare Dmg step, my Atog will eat my Rocket Launcher and Statue to get +4/+4 (I don't have enough mana to regen the Statue anyway) and my Priest dies.

Correct?

D

DarthFerret

That sounds right...So, ok, your Atog stays, (yeesh), and I end me turn.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that combat would have gone so much better for me (I think) if I knew the Mightstone effect lasted :)

Untap, upkeep, Forest, Done.

Spidey: 13
Hand: 0
In Play:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U,U) Mt x3
(U) Urza's Power Plant

(U) Orcish Mechanics (1/1, T, sac an artifact: ~ deals 2 dmg to target creature or player)
(T) Grapeshot Catapult (2/3, T: ~ deals 1 dmg to target flying creature)
(U) Atog (1/2, Sac an artifact: ~ gets +2/+2 ueot)

Graveyard: Ornithopter, Drafna's Restoration, Artifact Possession, Tablet of Epityr, Phyrexian Gremlins, Powerleech, Urza's Chalice, Dragon Engine, Mightstone, Rocket Launcher, Priest of Yawgmoth, Clay Statue
RFG:

DarthFerret: 13
Hand: 4
In Play:

(U,U) Mountain x 2
(U,U) Swamp
(U,T) Forest
(U,T) Island

Enchant: Power Artifact (Enchanted Artifact's activated abilities cost up to 2 less to pay, cannot reduce less than 1)

(U) Amulet of Kroog (2,T, prevent the next 1 damage to target player of critter)

(T) Atog (1/2, Sac an artifact: ~ gets +2/+2 ueot)
(T) Dragon Engine (1/3, 2: ~ gets +1/+0 ueot) *Powered*

Graveyard: Citanul Druid, Cursed Rack, Orcish Mechanics, Tablet of Epityr, Battering Ram, Urza's Chalice, Artifact Possession, Staff of Zegon, Atog
RFG:

D

DarthFerret

Untap, upkeep, Staff of Zegon (yup, a 2nd one!), done. :)

In Play:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U,U) Mt x3
(U) Urza's Power Plant

(U) Orcish Mechanics (1/1, T, sac an artifact: ~ deals 2 dmg to target creature or player)
(T) Grapeshot Catapult (2/3, T: ~ deals 1 dmg to target flying creature)

Graveyard: Ornithopter, Drafna's Restoration, Artifact Possession, Tablet of Epityr, Phyrexian Gremlins, Powerleech, Urza's Chalice, Dragon Engine, Mightstone, Rocket Launcher, Priest of Yawgmoth, Clay Statue
RFG:

Hand: 2
In Play:

(U,T) Mountain x 2
(U,T) Swamp
(U,T) Forest
(U,T) Island

Enchant: Power Artifact (Enchanted Artifact's activated abilities cost up to 2 less to pay, cannot reduce less than 1)

(U) Amulet of Kroog (2,T, prevent the next 1 damage to target player of critter)
(U) Staff of Zegon (3,T, Target creature gets -2/-0 ueot)

Graveyard: Citanul Druid, Cursed Rack, Orcish Mechanics, Tablet of Epityr, Battering Ram, Urza's Chalice, Artifact Possession, Staff of Zegon, Atog
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Mt, Done.

In Play:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U,U,U) Mt x4
(U) Urza's Power Plant

(U) Grapeshot Catapult (2/3, T: ~ deals 1 dmg to target flying creature)

RFG:

Hand: 2
In Play:

(U,T) Mountain x 2
(U,T) Swamp
(U,T) Forest
(U,T) Island

(U) Staff of Zegon (3,T, Target creature gets -2/-0 ueot)

RFG: